By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG's the Xbox 360 and why my PS3 needs shot

Munkeh111 said:
kn said:
finalsquall said:
MS just wants rpg's for Japan. Sad thing is it won't help them. Let em have the rpg's it won't last long. LO and Blue Drag did nothing. I'm not worried. Never tried star ocean so no big loss. And all those wanting to sell their ps3 - get a grip. Rpg's will come - it's just a matter of time.

I'm sorry, but everyone with this opinion is DEAD WRONG. Yes, Microsoft still isn't selling well in Japan even though they are buying JRPG exclusives or timed releases like crazy. Why do they continue to do it if it isn't working, then? Answer? IT IS WORKING. Sure they aren't moving a lot of hardware but the PS3 isn't moving any, either. If the PS3 had all the JRPGs that have been released on the 360 so far in Japan, it would be doing significantly better than it is. MS has, in effect, deprived the PS3 of needed content to move systems. That alone is a victory for MS and buys them more time to try other approaches....

But I honestly cant think what they can do. They have got like 5 great RPGs for the 360, and people still aren't buying it

I don't know what else they could do, either, but they are at least buying time and aren't giving up.  There are lots of things they could do, but all of them would probably be too expensive to implement.  Release a slimline 360 with a 5 year warranty, drop the price, and sell a 5-pack of RPGS with it all as a package... Something along those lines and have 1 good release a month for a solid year....  All of that would bankrupt the gaming division, though, and shareholders aren't going to continue to stomach billions of dollars of losses.

Maybe Microsoft's ultimate win will be in that it seems they are keeping the PS3 from becoming a worldwide phenomenon early on.  Maybe GT5 and FFXIII will finally push the PS3 over the top and it will reach some healthy momentum, but we'll be well into 2009 and probably 2 years or less before the next Xbox iteration.  Is that the end goal?  Stall Sony long enough to make it to the next gen? 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
"To everyone else that bought a PS3 for JRPGs, you only have yourselves to blame."

That´s the cold, hard truth.

But like I said before, if you told me that X360 would have triple the JRPGs than Sony last year, I would have called you a fool.  

I guess we know who is the fool now.

I'm just saying...

kn said:
Munkeh111 said:
kn said:
finalsquall said:
MS just wants rpg's for Japan. Sad thing is it won't help them. Let em have the rpg's it won't last long. LO and Blue Drag did nothing. I'm not worried. Never tried star ocean so no big loss. And all those wanting to sell their ps3 - get a grip. Rpg's will come - it's just a matter of time.

I'm sorry, but everyone with this opinion is DEAD WRONG. Yes, Microsoft still isn't selling well in Japan even though they are buying JRPG exclusives or timed releases like crazy. Why do they continue to do it if it isn't working, then? Answer? IT IS WORKING. Sure they aren't moving a lot of hardware but the PS3 isn't moving any, either. If the PS3 had all the JRPGs that have been released on the 360 so far in Japan, it would be doing significantly better than it is. MS has, in effect, deprived the PS3 of needed content to move systems. That alone is a victory for MS and buys them more time to try other approaches....

But I honestly cant think what they can do. They have got like 5 great RPGs for the 360, and people still aren't buying it

I don't know what else they could do, either, but they are at least buying time and aren't giving up.  There are lots of things they could do, but all of them would probably be too expensive to implement.  Release a slimline 360 with a 5 year warranty, drop the price, and sell a 5-pack of RPGS with it all as a package... Something along those lines and have 1 good release a month for a solid year....  All of that would bankrupt the gaming division, though, and shareholders aren't going to continue to stomach billions of dollars of losses.

Maybe Microsoft's ultimate win will be in that it seems they are keeping the PS3 from becoming a worldwide phenomenon early on.  Maybe GT5 and FFXIII will finally push the PS3 over the top and it will reach some healthy momentum, but we'll be well into 2009 and probably 2 years or less before the next Xbox iteration.  Is that the end goal?  Stall Sony long enough to make it to the next gen? 

Interesting ideas, but as you say, they are not very viable

Well they still have the problem of the brand being hated by the Japanese, and I don't think there is much that they can do about that. They will be first into the nex-gen, and I think they will launch will several RPGs to try and capture the japanese market more. However, I still don't think they will be able to get the holy grail, FF XIV for the next gen, and sony will keep that, giving the PS franchise something to hold onto. However, i don't think the situation where 360 is the leading jRPG place is going to change soon

And not to derail the topic or anything, but Microsoft must being throwing around the money big time, to have developers to not think about PS3 or more importantly the Wii. In honestly, I would have thought that they would have more developers bring JRPG games to the Wii and PS3 before the X360. Either developers have dismissed the Wii as a casual game system or X360 is are major backers in a lot of these IPs. And it can't be cheap either because the dollar is not worth much compare to the yen.

I'm just saying...

RPGJock said:
And not to derail the topic or anything, but Microsoft must being throwing around the money big time, to have developers to not think about PS3 or more importantly the Wii. In honestly, I would have thought that they would have more developers bring JRPG games to the Wii and PS3 before the X360. Either developers have dismissed the Wii as a casual game system or X360 is are major backers in a lot of these IPs. And it can't be cheap either because the dollar is not worth much compare to the yen.

'Moneyhatting' is a very intelligent thing to do. Sony seems to have stopped since last generation and focused more on publishing instead of attracting third parties similar to Nintendo.  By paying for exclusives, the console will build up a user-base and may finally break-through the Western product stigma in Japan.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Yeah, but that's the Wii's only SRPG... and it's only announced SRPG.

While PS3 has Disgaea 3 (which eh, i gotta get through 2), Valkrie (going to rule) and a SRW game.

I think there are others i am missing as well.

Me i burn through SRPGs like most people burn through FPS.... or something.

Get Disgaea 2 only if you have a LOT of freetime as in a good 60+ hours to devote to the game.  It will eat your time.  The voice acting and dialogue scripts are some of the best you will find in a video game because they have very talented professional voice actors doing the work.  The game is also hilarious.

Valkyria is looking pretty good, but you know as well as I do that SRW will likely never see stateside.

man you are so right, what are sony's japan studios doing, i never hear anything from them, i love jrpgs too, please some tell, has sony given any clue of what are they are going to do in japan???? is it true they are shifting all the third party support to the psp? are they leaving us in the dark? that is awful. Average gen last 5 years well its been a year and a half and i dont see them worried.

I for one don't care for RPG's so this means very little to me.

I find it funny that Sony was expecting Japanese dollar no matter on the lack of RPG's while they thought they needed to concentrate on action/FPS titles in a fight for the American dollar. We will see if they were right when Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 are out.

well they might not be JRPGs but if you look at IGN's release calendar they have like 10 none JRPGs.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I bought my 360 opening week, upgraded to an Elite during the Elite launch and I have zero regrets in this regard. It is the RPG box.

As for SO4 it may or may not come to the PS3 and certainly will not be day and date;

"We cannot announce anything on that. We can say that it will be released first [on the Xbox 360]. Whether we'll release it on the PS3 is undecided. We may release it, we may not," said Yamagishi. This follows the company's Xbox 360-focused work on The Last Remnant.