By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ScrewAttack - Top 10 FPS Games Ever

BrayanA said:

There are some many good FPS as Far Cry that comes and gone only because they don't have solid multiplayer.

*smacks forehead* doh!  I forgot Far Cry!  That was a great game that brought something new.  The only part I didn't like were the bullet sponge mutants.  Hmmm I might have to rank that as #11, so now my list goes to 11!

I give that post a 9.8. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network

I agree with the list. :)

Profcrab said:
BrayanA said:

There are some many good FPS as Far Cry that comes and gone only because they don't have solid multiplayer.

*smacks forehead* doh!  I forgot Far Cry!  That was a great game that brought something new.  The only part I didn't like were the bullet sponge mutants.  Hmmm I might have to rank that as #11, so now my list goes to 11!

I give that post a 9.8. 

Commander Sphincterface is upset that you forgot Far Cry, and more upset that you gave his Oscar caliber role in Halo 3 no love. He refuses to rate you.

The dedication you show to any particular console or company is inversely proportional to the number of times you have gotten laid. If you get laid enough, even if you prefer a certain brand, you just don't give enough of a shit to argue about it on the internet.

rocketpig said:
ssj12 said:
disolitude said:
ssj12 said:
that list completely sucks, where is Unreal? why is halo even on that list let alone #2? why the hell isnt Half-Life #1 or #2?

the list is failure

Halo owns Unreal in every way. Unreal was only good because it blew away the quake 2 engine on similar PC configurations. As a game its nothing special.

Thats ok, we all know your bias towards Halo so...

1. I own Halo Combat Evolved on PC.

2. Unreal started the online mutiplayer part of FPSs.

It did? I seem to remember playing games like Jedi Knight and AvP online long before UT ever released. UT popped up around the same time as Tribes, Counter-Strike, and Team Fortress. In fact, all three of those released before UT.

Aren't the first few Quake games generally considered some of the first pillars of the true online FPS experience?

The dedication you show to any particular console or company is inversely proportional to the number of times you have gotten laid. If you get laid enough, even if you prefer a certain brand, you just don't give enough of a shit to argue about it on the internet.

Frodaddyg said:
Profcrab said:
BrayanA said:

*smacks forehead* doh! I forgot Far Cry! That was a great game that brought something new. The only part I didn't like were the bullet sponge mutants. Hmmm I might have to rank that as #11, so now my list goes to 11!

I give that post a 9.8.

Commander Sphincterface is upset that you forgot Far Cry, and more upset that you gave his Oscar caliber role in Halo 3 no love. He refuses to rate you.

Hahahahahahahahahaha, that still cracks me up.  "His face looks like it's made of asshole skin".  That one game was the best co-op experience I've ever had.

I give that post a 10. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network

LOL, man that list caused some controversy.

My list -

1. Quake (Nothing can beat that initial experience of awesome online play that this game brought about, and then the TF mod came out and it started all over again)
2. Halo 3 (best console multi-player out now, and yes I have played COD4)
3. Bioshock (Awesome story, great graphics)
4. Tribes (huge levels and coop vehicles)
5. Unreal Tournament (smooth as silk gunplay)
6. Half-life (Great game but I do not care for the artistic design)
7. Doom 2 (Also provided some deathmatch and coop fun)

Duke Nuken 3D should not be on anyone's top 10 list. Quake was an immensly better game from both a technical and gameplay standpoint.

Frodaddyg said:
rocketpig said:
ssj12 said:
disolitude said:
ssj12 said:
that list completely sucks, where is Unreal? why is halo even on that list let alone #2? why the hell isnt Half-Life #1 or #2?

the list is failure

Halo owns Unreal in every way. Unreal was only good because it blew away the quake 2 engine on similar PC configurations. As a game its nothing special.

It did? I seem to remember playing games like Jedi Knight and AvP online long before UT ever released. UT popped up around the same time as Tribes, Counter-Strike, and Team Fortress. In fact, all three of those released before UT.

Aren't the first few Quake games generally considered some of the first pillars of the true online FPS experience?

You sir are correct. However a consistently misinformed Unreal fan tried to argue otherwise.

Oh, and I think rocketpig said that Half Life should be given major props for being so mod friendly. I disagree. It was really Quake that made modding big, and to a lesser degree Doom before it. Team Fortress was originally a Quake mod, along with the excellent Threewave. Plus Half Life was built off the Quake engine, so they were working off an engine that set a precedent for modding.

Oh, and to whoever mentioned Descent, I'm behind you on that. Despite claims from people who have never played it, it is definitely an FPS. Tribes is another one I somehow forgot. That game had some amazing mods, as did its successors.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

What happened to the other host?

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

sieanr said:
Frodaddyg said:
rocketpig said:
ssj12 said:
disolitude said:
ssj12 said:

the list is failure

You sir are correct. However a consistently misinformed Unreal fan tried to argue otherwise.

Oh, and I think rocketpig said that Half Life should be given major props for being so mod friendly. I disagree. It was really Quake that made modding big, and to a lesser degree Doom before it. Team Fortress was originally a Quake mod, along with the excellent Threewave. Plus Half Life was built off the Quake engine, so they were working off an engine that set a precedent for modding.

Oh, and to whoever mentioned Descent, I'm behind you on that. Despite claims from people who have never played it, it is definitely an FPS. Tribes is another one I somehow forgot. That game had some amazing mods, as did its successors.

I wont argue if it is or isnt because i feel that it is. I stated that the general game industry does not.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

sieanr said:
Frodaddyg said:
rocketpig said:
ssj12 said:
disolitude said:
ssj12 said:

the list is failure

Oh, and I think rocketpig said that Half Life should be given major props for being so mod friendly. I disagree. It was really Quake that made modding big, and to a lesser degree Doom before it. Team Fortress was originally a Quake mod, along with the excellent Threewave. Plus Half Life was built off the Quake engine, so they were working off an engine that set a precedent for modding.

Oh, and to whoever mentioned Descent, I'm behind you on that. Despite claims from people who have never played it, it is definitely an FPS. Tribes is another one I somehow forgot. That game had some amazing mods, as did its successors.

Excellent points. I forgot that TF originally appeared as a Quake mod.

Still, we shouldn't underscore Valve's importance to the industry. The TF/CS/DoD trifecta was so insanely dominant from 1999-2004 that it's hard to describe it in today's terms.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/