By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - M&S at Olympics helping SMG sales in Others?

M&S at Olympics is more than 200k ahead of SMG and outselling it on a weekly basis in Others. So it seems the game is able to access consumers that originally might not have been introduced to the video game character Mario, or at least were not interested in him so much as to buy his "real" game.

This leads to the following question: Will people, once they have played M&S to death with their family, consider getting "that other Mario game"? Could the success of M&, in the long run, lead to additional sales for Mr. Gay?

I would love to hear your opinion. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

The extra sales can be attributed to 4 things. 1: Sega and sonic have always been strong in Europe. 2: Mario as always is popular there aswell. 3: The massive popularity of the Olympics outside of the US. 4: It fits the wii's casual demographic perfectly.

To answer your question, not sure. Mario's popularity plus the wii's success is probably doing it more. If Mario and Sonic didn't exist I don't think galaxy would be selling any worse necessarily. But as always there is some crossover.

they'll probably go and buy Sonic and the secret rings

Well i think the those games help each other as well..

Mario and Sonic franchise is very strong..If you pick one usually buyers pick another later..

"that originally might not have been introduced to the video game character Mario"

that would be odd in itself

Around the Network

Hmmm...

I think it's just because sport games are generally easier to get into than platformers. The "rules" are already well understood and people don't have to adjust too much.

tabsina said:
"that originally might not have been introduced to the video game character Mario"

If you think Blue Ocean strategy, then it is not odd. I think they might have heard the name. Just never played a game.  

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
tabsina said:

If you think Blue Ocean strategy, then it is not odd. I think they might have heard the name. Just never played a game.

True, my mum knows who Mario is but had no idea who any other characters were (I got some free fridge magnets from a magazine and asked her to name the characters of Mario, Sonic, Link, Fox, Samus and a few others)

The only other game character she might know is Lara Croft, but before the films I doubt she would have. 

I doubt it. I think most people know Mario.

Even non-gamers.

The only character i can picture being more nameable is Lara Croft... thanks to Angelina Jolie mostly, well it and the huge blitz the tomb raider games have had.

People might recognize Master Chief, but i bet nobody would know who the heck he was.

TWRoO said:
Faxanadu said:
tabsina said:

True, my mum knows who Mario is but had no idea who any other characters were (I got some free fridge magnets from a magazine and asked her to name the characters of Mario, Sonic, Link, Fox, Samus and a few others)

The only other game character she might know is Lara Croft, but before the films I doubt she would have. 

Wow, I know even less than her then... I have no clue who Lara Croft is...

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS