By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who Should Not Buy a Wii - A Non-Buyer's Guide

3,4,6,10 are things that I am having problems with. And only 10 is going to get fixed. Though honestly motion controls no one seems behind it 100% I know why, but whats for another thread. Anyway, brawl,mario kart, nights,and the new ToS all are compatible with the GC controller. The only Wii games I have that arnt are zelda, mario, and moneky ball, and zelda I bought to try out motion controls. I think zelda is actaully improved by motion controll, but I prefered mario with just using buttons and monkey ball bannana blitz is simply terrible. I am probably buying a PS3 or 360 in the future though anyway...

Around the Network
azrm2k said:
rocketpig said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:
I'm sorry but no matter how many people tell me Nintendo is going in a different path with online, I will not accept the shitbox that is Wii Wi-Fi and I will not think that an online system that makes 1999 GameSpy look advanced is a great way of doing things in 2008.

The only thing 1999 gamespy had going for it that the Wii didn't have was chatroom functionality IIRC; and typing on a console without a keyboard is hard...

I was actually allowed to choose what game I wanted to join in GameSpy.

What Wii online game doesn't let you do that? MoH:H2 had a nice lobby system infact where you could sort games by type/amount of people and even password protect rooms. I haven't played MK:Wii online but SSBB lets you pick which friend you want to play with, no options for the random battles I will give you.

rocketpig, I don't think anyone is going to claim that Nintendo's online service is anything more than mediocre especially compared to Xbox Live (which makes makes even the PSN look like dirt although not as badly). That would be a silly claim.

I actually just posted because it's been a long time since I thought about how crappy online was back then. I still remember trying to get online with a friend in BG2 over gamespy which was like pulling teeth. For all its quirks and pains, the NWFC is still ages easier to use than lamespy (I just remembered that term... ^_^ ).

Yeah, GameSpy was pretty bad. That's why I brought it up. It's sad that nearly a decade later, Nintendo's offerings can still be compared to it.

While you may not defend Nintendo's online strategy, I've seen plenty of people on this forum do so. It's sad. By any comparison, Nintendo isn't even lagging in features... They're in an entirely different ballpark of pure suckitude that no one else rivals.

And they should be called out for it. The fact that I can't even chat with my friends if I wanted to is ridiculous. It's the main reason I play the Wii so little outside of games like SMG or Okami. The multiplayer on the system is dead to me.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Yeah, GameSpy was pretty bad. That's why I brought it up. It's sad that nearly a decade later, Nintendo's offerings can still be compared to it.

While you may not defend Nintendo's online strategy, I've seen plenty of people on this forum do so. It's sad. By any comparison, Nintendo isn't even lagging in features... They're in an entirely different ballpark of pure suckitude that no one else rivals.

And they should be called out for it. The fact that I can't even chat with my friends if I wanted to is ridiculous. It's the main reason I play the Wii so little outside of games like SMG or Okami. The multiplayer on the system is dead to me.

That's a shame.  I'd love to Brawl with you.  ^_^

I would absolutely love to play Brawl with people... If I could trash talk them at the same time.

Trash talking is 95% of the fun in games like that. Same goes for MK. What's the point of playing if you can't yell "EAT RED SHELL, ASSHOLE!" to your friend in first place?

Around the Network

@ Rocketpig.
It was not my intention to defend or attack anything. I can see several ways that online could be and probably eventually will be improved but I am certain that live chat will never be offered, at least through Nintendo; although I don't see any reason it could not be handled by a third party server.

rocketpig said:
I would absolutely love to play Brawl with people... If I could trash talk them at the same time.

Trash talking is 95% of the fun in games like that. Same goes for MK. What's the point of playing if you can't yell "EAT RED SHELL, ASSHOLE!" to your friend in first place?

It's this new casual gaming invention designed by Nintendo, called "friends in real life."  It works wonders.

ZAM!

The Ghost of RubangB said:
rocketpig said:

It's this new casual gaming invention designed by Nintendo, called "friends in real life." It works wonders.

ZAM!

Listen here, Junior. Not all of us live next door to our friends.

Shit, we don't even play kickball 'til dusk anymore. 

To clarify what I said, I did not mean that it is that way, but if you feel that way, then the wii is clearly not for you

rocketpig said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
rocketpig said:

It's this new casual gaming invention designed by Nintendo, called "friends in real life." It works wonders.

ZAM!

Listen here, Junior. Not all of us live next door to our friends.

Shit, we don't even play kickball 'til dusk anymore. 

I was just playing devil's advocate.  You think I still have friends?  The best I have is a weirdo roommate, but all he plays is Castlevania: Dracula X on SNES for 2 hours every single day, and a little Wii Fit here and there.