By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How is Microsoft/Sony going to respond to the astounding Wii sales?

They can say that they aren't competing with Nintendo. I like that one.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

focus on profitability

^Guy pissing on Microsoft Sign

UBISOFT BOYCOTT

Standard MS and Sony Responses.

"In *insert mont* gamers spent *insert money* on 360 software and hardware"

"The Playstation brand is still going strong doubling total weekly sales year over year, with our great lineup of games coming out in *insert month* we expect even better sales"

The truth is I think All three systems have a very good chance at being successful. Thw Wii has had an outstnding run the first year & a half of it's life, yet allot of it''s succes has been built on Nintendo fan and the new gamer market. Although yes all 3 consoles are new gen systems the Wii is much more affordable and caters to a different mrket group. Sony and MS just need to keep doing what they have been doing. honestly the PS3 and 360 are selling very well, Nintendo is just having an unreal run right now. Console generation are not winner take all, so all three can be very successful.

sony and microsoft are currently in secret talks with each other and their discussing the next gen console. word is, they'll be pulling ther resources to gether to come out with just one console aimed at wrestling the no 1 spot from nintendo....

Around the Network
ils411 said:
sony and microsoft are currently in secret talks with each other and their discussing the next gen console. word is, they'll be pulling ther resources to gether to come out with just one console aimed at wrestling the no 1 spot from nintendo....

haha, I get jokes :P

the wii is 250 very cheap compaired to 360 ps3. but just bexause the wii sells more doesnt mean its the best personally the 360 and ps3 have way more to offer and really are a better value but whatever i could careless about the wii but much respect to nitendo

Be honest with nobody and lie to your self MGS4 best game EVER on ps3 :?!!!!!!!

OooSnap said:

The Wii is killing the PS3 and 360 in sales every month despite big hitters such as GTA 4 released for HD consoles. If you were a Microsoft or Sony exec what would you do gain Wii-like marketshare?

If the rumors of a Wii like controller for the 360 is  true then that is something in Microsoft's arsenal (I think it will fail personally), but what else are they going to do? It seems like Microsoft tried their hardest to do every thing right but still failed to be a mass market console. What about Sony, are they going to drop the price more soon and start creating more casual games? Are they going to drop the price of the PS3 soon to appeal to the mass market?

I think Sony and Microsoft have to do something soon. If Sony and Microsoft continues to do what they are doing (whatever that is) then it seems like they would be fighting over scraps for years to come.

Exactly why do they need to do anything to answer the Wii's sales? According to Nintendo, analysts and most Nintendo fans, its not targeted at the same demographic. So why compete with something that isnt stealing your consumer base? 

Seriously, it could sell 6 billion units tomorrow and I garuntee the sales of the XBOX360 and Playstation 3 would at most dip a little and continue on just like before. You can not play the same type of games on a Wii that you can on a HD console. Also while the Wii doesnt function as a media center in any sense of the word, both HD consoles operate on this level quite well.

Where exactly is the competition that you are talking about?

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

OooSnap said:

The Wii is killing the PS3 and 360 in sales every month despite big hitters such as GTA 4 released for HD consoles. If you were a Microsoft or Sony exec what would you do gain Wii-like marketshare?

If the rumors of a Wii like controller for the 360 is true then that is something in Microsoft's arsenal (I think it will fail personally), but what else are they going to do? It seems like Microsoft tried their hardest to do every thing right but still failed to be a mass market console. What about Sony, are they going to drop the price more soon and start creating more casual games? Are they going to drop the price of the PS3 soon to appeal to the mass market?

I think Sony and Microsoft have to do something soon. If Sony and Microsoft continues to do what they are doing (whatever that is) then it seems like they would be fighting over scraps for years to come.

One of the problems with Microsoft that doesn't exist with Sony and Nintendo is that there are a lot of people that absolutely despise the company and would never buy their console even if it was their only option.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Microsoft has definitely built up a lot of bad blood with PC users over the years. Not too mention that Nintendo fans are amongst the most loyal out there. I mean, I'm one of them, and I've owned every console they've ever released.