By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wikipedia and VGChartz

As a teacher I have a hard time explaining to students why they shouldn't use wikipedia for reports, even though I use it all the time.

It's a great place to go to get an overview of a topic, to get pointed in the right direction. But then that data should be used to track down the original sources.

Around the Network

What I was updating on Wikipedia was the List of best selling video games section, it requires a video game to sell a minimum of 1 million units, so I looked up all the games on VG Chartz for the PS3 that sold over a million copies and I updated that on to Wikipedia, and someone reverted everything back to what it use to be and he said that VG Chartz is not a reliable source. And I actually saw that there was abunch of other people that use VG Chartz to update some software sales and they were all reverted back to what it use to be?

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

I always find it ironic because in academic circles wikipedia is frowned upon (for a number of reasons, its not worth going into).

The best thing you can do is quote people who quote VGChartz numbers. That's the kind of stuff the Wiki Natzis go for. But I am glad that Wikipedia runs a tight ship.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

misterd said:
As a teacher I have a hard time explaining to students why they shouldn't use wikipedia for reports, even though I use it all the time.

I really enjoy adding biographical detail to entries for politicians.  Something subtle that can then be expanded on.

Is it within topic to figure out how to slip in a reference to VGChartz that Wikipedia will not delete?  Maybe a subtle reference to VGChartz would slip through. For example, something referencing the number of sites covering sales figures? Once there is a foothold, more detail can be added. 

The urge to play is a terrible thing to waste.

Around the Network

@PS-GoW

That was the same page that labled the Intellivision programmers' own database as an unreliable source.

If you want to make your point -- just have them point to the VGChartz entry on Wikipedia (which probably should be expanded to include all those who have used the data).

But to be honest, that entry is somewhat bogus because many of the "sources" are not as reliable as VGChartz -- they are just places from which you can make a citation.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Maybe they have a script that has detected that you referenced so many times the same domain website and has marked as a "spam" and deleted...

Well, you posted little info on the facts, anyway...

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

misterd said:

It's a great place to go to get an overview of a topic, to get pointed in the right direction. But then that data should be used to track down the original sources.

My thoughts exactly. 

For most topics at least, there are some instances where users with too much time abuse the system.  In those situations you can be pointed in the wrong direction...ideally due diligence will straighten most folks out though. 

To Each Man, Responsibility