By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Before bedtime: For those that thought Banjo 3 wasn't a platformer.

I completely agree with Starcraft on this. Most of the time the object of platformers is to get to various platforms that have objects on them or that lead to another part of the game. Sometimes the player does not have all of the requirements to get to a certain platform(ie, a new jump ability, but in this game a new part). The game is still about maneuvering around your environment trying to solve puzzles and complete tasks. The only difference here is that the majority of the time you will be platforming in a vehicle not using a character's legs.

Around the Network
New Banjo "around 80% vehicles"
"Change for the better is great, which is what I believe this game to be," says Rare

Ever since the new Banjo game was revealed people have been jumping to all sorts of conclusions about Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. The question we've been asked the most is about the balance between platforming and vehicles. Here's your answer.

Speaking during a community event Rare put on yesterday, head of design Gregg Mayles explained, "Mmm...I would say around 80% vehicles, but just a rough guess.

---------------------------------------------------------------

well it looks like a platformer but mostly driving about, otherwise the rare rep would have said its mostly a platformer with driving sections included. the question was the balance between platforming and vehicles, the rare rep said about 80% vehicles, therefore unless the rare rep is a liar, banjo 3 will be mostly driving.

might be a good game though, no doubt mdf sites will review this up!

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Platforming stale? Why did no one tell Mario?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Munkeh111 said:
Why have we got onto Little Big Planet? that game will be amazing (and it is not just for kids), but this will also be great. It is not traditional platforming, but what everyone is complaining about is lack of inovation, and then when something new comes along, you all complain

I think most people are pissed off because they don't expect a franchise to change that much.

I kind of agree with people who complained... If you're going to use a franchise's name, you should stay more or less true to what the franchise is about, although you can still make smaller innovations.

If you want to make a truly innovative game, why not create a new name for it? Otherwise, it looks like you're just using the name as a commercial tool.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

In my opinion, the only reason why someone could claim that platforming has become stale is because so most of the developers who can produce great platforming experiences are no longer producing platformers ...

Now, there is nothing wrong with producing a Banjoo-Kazooie game that is in a different genre than platforming; in fact I think Microsoft should have been capatalizing on the Banjoo-Kazooie franchise in a similar fashion to how Nintendo uses Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom's characters in so many games. The problem is that Microsoft promised the release of a Banjoo-Kazooie Platformer and released some sort of car game; had Nintendo promised a new Mario Platformer and then demonstrated a game that was 80% Mario Kart with 20% platforming most people who were excited about the platformer would be pissed.

Around the Network

@HappySqurriel: Precisely. To clarify what I wrote above, I also think it's OK to make offshoots of a franchise in a different genre, not many people will be pissed off about that. Making an offshoot pass for a game in the main series is another thing though, and it will put your name on a lot of blacklists.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Ah, we'll see. Rare has screwed up pretty much everything they tried their hands at since being bought by Microsoft, so I won't expect much of this game 'till it's out.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

It may be 20% platforming, 80% of vehicles, but by platforming they meant on foot, but they are doing some in vehicle platforming.

@ NJ5, i agree, though people should not just dismiss the game immediately

I betting it will be crap and nothing like the old BK games which were good. Rare have done nothing great since Nintendo sold them.

The only thing the current Rare has in common with Rare that made awesome games on the N64 is the the name, Rare. All the talent from that studio is long gone.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

I´ll reserve judgement for when this game is released.

As far as I´m concerned. this could be either Rare´s big step back to greatness or the truly final nail in their coffin.