By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why can Sony keep UMD alive and HD dies!

Who watches movies on a 2 inch screen anyway?

UMD is a non-topic. Next!

Around the Network

Who watches movies on a 2 inch screen anyway?

Nobody but 4.x inches like the PSP has are a different matter. On my iTouch I like to watch a television series when flying or in long train rides. It shouldnt be smaller but this is pretty ok. I am not so sure about full movies, they seem to favor a bigger screen and need more longterm commitment, but television series are perfect.

Q_A_X said:
Sony knows what theyare doing, M$ don't.

Ofcourse.

End of 2k9

PS3 - 28,000,000

XO - 34,000,000

GT:ProChaoS360

CAL4M1TY said:
JaggedSac said:
Microsoft's real intention was to create a format war long enough for downloadable content to become the standard. Blu-Ray movies have yet to see a big spike in adoption and with the economy quickly going into the dumps people are less likely to spend money on big ticket items such as a blu-ray player. Downloads are the way of the future since fiber optics are probably going to replace the current infrastructure in the near future. Then it will be just like people said about music..that downloading music will never succeed. We all see how that turned out. Downloading things means it is easier for small developers to release their things and cheaper to release as well since no physical media is involved. There could be massive server farms where people make an account, pay for a movie, the movie is flagged as bought, and you can stream whenever you like.

I agree with your post, except, I'm not to sure if MS's grand plan was for downloadable content to succeed. I mean, what would they have done if HD-DVD won instead? To me it seems like MS switched to downloadable media for the same reason it switched to HD-DVD in the first place, like you said, as a response to sony and blu-ray. I guess the standard 20gb HDD and lack of in the arcade support this, considering that 8 games worth of offline files (save file etc) and the regular 360 files left me with 14gb's as it is (when I had my 360). It looks like either quick fixes or poor foresight to me, seeing as how big files are these days (i.e HD movies are basically double their SD equivalent and then take into account many TV shows are going HD now, which would lead to HD box sets).

I know you mentioned streaming, which is a option, but I'm running 1.5mb ADSL with 25gb so I would run out pretty quickly and I would guess that the average net speed is 512k down here with <10gb downloads (partly because Australia's internet growth plan is a joke and because the average consumer doesn't know a good deal unless it smacks them in the face) so it's not yet viable everywhere (I'm pretty sure we are one of the slowest internet speed countries with broadband though).

I agree that at current broadband speeds, streaming content is a joke.  The quality from netflix instant watching is atrocious.  But, fiber optics allows speeds up to 100mbps.  That should be more than enough to get hd quality video and sound.  You would only need an ample amount of ram to buffer the content.  You wouldn't even need a hard drive because the server would house all of the data.  Microsoft saw it as a twofer.  If HD-DVD won, all is well and good, they would use it and still push downloads.  If it didn't, they still had downloadable content.

I don't know why anyone would buy an UMD.

They cost MORE than DVDs, usually don't have all the extras, and of course, can only be played on a PSP. And if I'm not mistaken, have inferior quality to DVDs. That's a pretty awful deal if you ask me.

Of course there's the portability, but you can easily rip a DVD you OWN and transfer it to the PSP, iPod or wherever you want to use it and watch it on the go. It'll probaby save you battery, since it will be on flash memory, as opposed to some disc. Some DVDs now even come with a digital copy to watch on your portable device, it doesn't get much easier than that. UMD was a bad idea from the beginning.

But getting back on topic, as others have said, UMD is barely alive and there was no way Miscrosoft could have kept HD-DVD alive for much longer and I don't see how it could have helped them, even if they did it.

Around the Network

UMD will die out when the next PSP is released and uses mini-Blu-ray discs.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Simply because the PSP is selling and UMD is inside the PSP which results the drive is selling!

And that absolutely has nothing to do with movies. It's just moviemakers found out that PSP owners wasn't using the PSP for the movies but for games and music.

Microsoft didn't have charge of the HD-DVD format, Toshiba ran that format, Microsoft was just there to support the format.

Because Sony is the king of the world.

Not James Cameron

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

First of all this thread is clearly misleading. The only reason why Microsoft didn't put up a battle against the BD is because Microsoft DIDN'T INVENT IT. Toshiba designed and produced the format and therefore had partnerships with various companies in order to broaden their support and hopefully make HD-DVD the successor of DVD.

Sony was left with a bitter taste in their mouth ever since they lost the Betamax vs. VHS debacle and wanted to usher in a new era so they partnered with companies who had the same vision and thus the format war began.

This thread seems more like an excuse for a Sony vs. Microsoft thread than anything else and I just wanted to clear things up for the people who tends to think that way.

Proud Owner of all 3 current-gen systems

Currently Playing:
SSBB, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, MKWii, GTA IV (360), MGS4, DQIV, Jeanne d'Arc, FFVII: Crisis Core, Chrono Trigger (PSX)

Mario Kart FC: 4897-6731-4375
SSBB FC: 1504-5406-8515
Wii Friends Code: 1020-2726-1535-3964

XBL:
PhatLaosBoi
PSN: PhatLaosBoi