By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
starcraft said:
Hawkeye said:

Dammit... PS3 would be better to get in 09 as an Xmas present but it has a blu ray player and other stuff. May be I should just work all summer at a part time job and save up and get both lol. Except then I wouldnt have time to ever play those 45 PS2 games :(

A cash gift of $2000 would solve my problem :)

Honestly, if the 360 has two to three times the games you want and money is an issue, its a no-brainer.

The PS3 is currently very over-priced.  Ask for it in 2009 as a christmas gift.  Or buy one late next year when its cheaper and some of the big games Darth keeps talking about are actually out. 

Sorry, but you can't make foolish statements like this and expect people to take your opinion seriously.  The fact that Sony is still losing money on the console means, by definition, that it is not overpriced.

What is overpriced is the 360 elite and the 360 hardrives.  Its ridiculous that you need to spend $180 for a 120 GB HDD when a standard 250 GB HDD is less than $100.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
I think you should get a ps2 now, think about it and get prefered console later. (also gives you time to save up some $$$)

I agree.

You will be able to buy your games on Amazon for a while, a number of them are pretty popular ones. Hell, last month I bought FF8 through Amazon. The only game that seems to have gone up in price in FF7.

starcraft said:
Hawkeye said:

Thanks everyone, I have finally decided what I am going to do. I will *try* to get a job this summer, and then play PSP and Wii and DS games. Then this fall I will look at the lineup and revies and then decide what to get, though right now I am thinking that I will get a 360 this fall, and then a PS3 next summer, or a PS2 next summer and then a PS3 the summer after that. If I find I really like Disagae or something though, I might get PS3. Only problem I can see with my plan is
1. I may not get a job and
2. By next summer, games like Okami ect might be expensive... may be I should get a PS2 this summer and play the games and then return the PS2 after a few months? PSP games are going down in price anyway I feel.

Again, thanks for taking time to help me, and what do you think of my plan?

I thought you wanted to take advantage of an HDTV? Or did I misread that?

As long as you get to play the Ps2 and 360's games this year I'd say you have won. But as I've said before, the PS2 is more likely to get a price drop, which is a reason I'd buy the 360 first.

I do, but there doesn't seem to be a practical way to do it... getting a 360 w/ componet cable is taking advantage enough I guess. 

PS2 is backwards compatible right? Could someone please recomend PS1 titles for me that are still worth playing today (other than FF7 I am sure a remake is coming at some point)? Thanks! :D

Around the Network
whatever said:
starcraft said:
Hawkeye said:

Dammit... PS3 would be better to get in 09 as an Xmas present but it has a blu ray player and other stuff. May be I should just work all summer at a part time job and save up and get both lol. Except then I wouldnt have time to ever play those 45 PS2 games :(

A cash gift of $2000 would solve my problem :)

Honestly, if the 360 has two to three times the games you want and money is an issue, its a no-brainer.

The PS3 is currently very over-priced. Ask for it in 2009 as a christmas gift. Or buy one late next year when its cheaper and some of the big games Darth keeps talking about are actually out.

Sorry, but you can't make foolish statements like this and expect people to take your opinion seriously. The fact that Sony is still losing money on the console means, by definition, that it is not overpriced.

What is overpriced is the 360 elite and the 360 hardrives. Its ridiculous that you need to spend $180 for a 120 GB HDD when a standard 250 GB HDD is less than $100.

I agree that 360 HDD are overpriced.  Given I was talking about games, the Ps3 is massively overpriced from a consumer perspective.  As a consumer, neither I nor any other consumers should be concerned with what Sony gets out of the transaction. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Hey im just jumping in here.

My Credentials are 53" Sony Bravia LCD PS3/PS2/PS1/N64/Xbox360/Wii

I personally don't care about Blu Ray, I see a difference but I don't really care for it.

Xbox360 - More games you like to play with your friends. Its that simple, If you are going to have more fun playing with your friends and sharing the experience then its an obvious choice. Even if the Xbox360 is more expensive, I can't stress this enough, its all about fun and if you have more fun playing online with your mates then I have to say go for it.

Oh yea and you can buy a PS2 cheap on ebay for what $40 shipped and it may even come with some of the games you want, or borrow one from a friend that isn't using it.

Tease.

Hawkeye said:

I do, but there doesn't seem to be a practical way to do it... getting a 360 w/ componet cable is taking advantage enough I guess.

I would go a 360 pro.

I just checked and Arcade apparently doesnt come with component in the USA.

Pro lets you play online, play over 300 different Xbox 1 games, and gives you access to all Xbox 360 games, which currently comprise more than double the AAA titles of any other next-generation console.

Also, a firmware update over a year ago means that the Xbox 360 can play all titles in 1080p via component. I'm yet to see a comparision that makes HDMI look notably better, but if it means that much to you the pro does have an HDMI port.

Edit:  The pro also comes with a headset included.  As Squilliam said, you can pick a PS2 up used dirt cheap, and thats all you really need to do.  The slim PS2's hardly ever break.  Go with a 360.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
Hawkeye said:

I would go a 360 pro.

I just checked and Arcade apparently doesnt come with component in the USA.

Pro lets you play online, play over 300 different Xbox 1 games, and gives you access to all Xbox 360 games, which currently comprise more than double the AAA titles of any other next-generation console.

Also, a firmware update over a year ago means that the Xbox 360 can play all titles in 1080p via component. I'm yet to see a comparision that makes HDMI look notably better, but if it means that much to you the pro does have an HDMI port.

Edit: The pro also comes with a headset included. As Squilliam said, you can pick a PS2 up used dirt cheap, and thats all you really need to do. The slim PS2's hardly ever break. Go with a 360.

pro is the $350 one?

Hawkeye said:

Which system should I get? Or should I get neither? Or both? There are advantages to both and I cannot decide...

Pros and cons of PS3

Pro

-Blu ray player would go great with me HDTV

-Remote play ect would go great with my PSP

-backwards compatibilty would be fantastic since I never had a PS2 (only had enough money to get GC) and there are 20 plus games I would like to buy for PS2

-reliable hardware

-lots of good games coming out in the future that I would like ex LittleBigPlanet, Disgaea 3, White Knight Chronicles, FF13, ect...

-free online

-lots of good games coming out this fall (disagaea 3, LBP ect) 

cons

-kinda pricey

-all my friends that have next gen consoles (about 1/2 of them) have either Wii or 360, so the free online would be meaningless for multiplayer gaming (though has other useful functions)

-most of the games I want are for PS2 or arn't out yet and I am uncertain how BC works for PS3- did it get taken out? 

-blu ray movies are pretty expensive

pro

-lots and lots of great games out RIGHT NOW- eternal sonata, blue dragon, eternall oddesy, halo 3, viva pinata, mass effect, Ninja Gaiden 2 ect

-many of my friends have a 360 so I could play with them

-I really like the controller (more than PS3 controller)

-Banjo Kazooie nuts and bolts is on 360 and I LOVE BK

-Good downloadable games like geometry wars: retro eveolved and Pac man championship edition

-lots of good games coming out this fall (BK:N and B, Fable 2, ect)

cons

-kinda pricey

-future uncertain (in terms of a giant supply of good games coming to PS3 instead of 360, not in terms of console failing)

-extremly unreliable- though a 3 year warranty makes this an annoyance rather than a death sentence

-if PS3 manages to steal 360's future JRPGS I will be left with primarily a shooterbox which isn't what I am interested in (though some more are coming ex. infinite undiscovery)

-HD DVD=epic failure

Alternativly, I could buy a new PS2 for $130 and then just play games for systems I have, which would more than cover me. (I would have PSP, PS2, Wii, DS) For example, for PS2 alone I want:

Kingdom Hearts

Disgaea 2

La Pucelle Tactics

Phantom Brave

Kingdom Hearts 2

Final Fantasy 10

Final Fantasy 11

Final Fantasy 12

God of War

God of War 2

Ratchet and Clank

Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando

Ratchet and Clank: up your arsenal

Jak and Daxter- Precursor Legacy

Jak 2

Jak 3

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the cursed king

Final Fantasy X-2

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria

Odin Sphere

Ape Escape 2

Star Ocean: Till the end of time

Wild Arms 3

Wild Arms alter code F

Wild Arms 4

Wild Arms 5

Tales of the Abyss

Ape Escape 3

Tales of Legendia

Star Wars battlefront

Star Wars battlefront 2

Okami

Devil May Cry

Shadow of the colossus

Devil May Cry 2

Devil May Cry 3

We Love Katamari

Beyond Good and Evil

Psychonauts

..So, which should I buy? Or should I hold off until the fall for a potential price cut? Or should I buy neither and save my money to buy the 30 plus PSP games  I want to get (got PSP recently) and the DS and Wii games I am interested in?

mmmmmm, am well as I can c ur into ur RPGs (love them too, and yes FFVII was the best), my advice to would be...... try and hold out for the PS3 pricecut near christmas (hoping), and get a PS2 in the time being, btw Rachet and clank TOD is my fav Rachet yet and definely Recommend, it like all Rachet games has great replayability (plus dlc near christmas ),