By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
TheRealMafoo said:
Slimebeast said:

Geez... I'm about to explode now. What about all the PS3-fanboys in the thread??? They're trying to push their console even more.

Very unfair post.

Well, I said the PS2+360 option was not a bad idea, so you can't be talking about me.

I think for the needs of this person, the PS3 is the obvious choice. Regardless of the PS3 or 360, he wants to play PS2 games. That's in effect a $129 savings off a BS PS3, and the PS3 plays the PS2 games better on an HDTV then the PS2 does.

He has a PSP. There are loads of cool things you get with the PS3 if you have a PSP.

He said he wants to better utilizes his HDTV when watching Movies. Both will do that (the 360 upscales, and has HD DLC), but the PS3 is the obvious choice if you want a console that is the best HD movie player.

More times then not in these kinds of threads, I end up recommending the 360 when people ask. for this individuals needs and current equipment, the PS3 is the better choice.

No one who is saying get a PS3 is saying so for reasons that are unreasonable. hell, Starcraft has not been unreasonable. But he would NEVER, and I mean NEVER recommend that someone get a PS3 over a 360. This thread is about "what console should I get". I think Hawkeye should know that when taking Starcrafts comments into account.

The PS2 is likely the next console that will get a price cut.  Its not the one to buy right now.  Its the one to buy at the end of the year.

And I have recommended (three times now) that HAwkeye get a PS3 if he really wants blu-ray. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Buy a PS3 just to piss Starcraft off.

Seriously though, if you have an HDTV, I don't see why you wouldn't want the Blu-ray player. Seems like a no brainer to me. You haven't really experienced HD until you have a pure source (over the air and cable HD just doesn't come close).

As for the games, it comes down to personal taste. Personally, I think the 360 has the better exclusives now, the PS3 has the better exclusives on the way.

@Hawkeye

just buy a PS2....get its games....wait till E3...see either console coming on top...RETURN the PS2 (1 year warranty) and buy either console....if you buy the PS3 keep the PS2 games....

if you buy the 360 keep the Ps2 as well...but remember the cheapest 360 can't go online

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Yeah... but I do want blu-ray. But not that much. like 6/10 wanting level. vs 10/10 BK wanting level lol. but PSP remote play also would be pretty cool, and PS3 saves me $130 for PS2, plus upscales it. Also I think by late 2010 PS3 and 360 will be tied in games I want... but thats in quite a while indeed.

The PS2 will get a cut later in the year to $99.  Its the only one of the three consoles guarenteed to get a cut this year.  I think the other two will get small cuts, but with MGS4 and the 360's big sales this week, its unknown. 

Do you like Western RPG's as well?  Don't forget Fable 2 is out this year on the 360. 

starcraft said:
Hawkeye said:
starcraft said:
Hawkeye said:
Blacksaber said:
I would say this go for the 360 now and a get a PS2 after the price cut.

But isn't 360 getting an $100 price cut this fall?

No chance. A small cut maybe, but if you look at MS's latest quarter, they dont have the margin for a cut that big. Yes they are starting to introduce cheaper models, but they still dont want to slip back into the red.

That sucks. Is the$280 arcade version online and HD cabable? Or are those features stipped to make it $70 cheaper?

No. The arcade cannot go online, but it is HD capable.

Does it come with a component cable? The Wii didn't come with one and I still havn't gotten one. And is there any way that I can play $50 later or something and make the aracade go online? Buy a $50 hard drive or something?

Around the Network

@Retrasado

I would disagree.....its not more than half right....its 2 times wrong actually

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
I think it is completely unfair starcraft that you say

"if you want to play games go for 360" -- as it sounds fanboyistic & very foolish...
I was going to cover this, but then Restrado did it for me.

Hawkeye said:
starcraft said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@starcraft

yes but he seems to like JRPG's.....XBOX was terrible for JRPG's

and most PS2 JRPG's destroy the 360 ones....

also as I said PS2 connected to a HD TV outputs horrible grfx,.....this is known everywhere by now.....its only through the PS3 upscaling that I was able to replay MGS2..

Lol.

Hawkeye, you know they are arguing for a lost cause when they start telling you the PS3 beats 360's JRPG's because of the PS2.

True, but I like SRPGS more than JRPGS, and PS3 is getting Disagaea 3. Then again, suppodely more JRPGs are being announced for 360, and there are like 10 SRPGS that I want between DS and PSP and PS2.

If you like SRPG's more than JRPG's then PS3>360, I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH PS3>360!!! You must look up a game called Valkryia Chronicles which is coming out in September, PS3 exclusive. It is amazing! Plus Disgaea 3 as well!

Retrasado said:
Hawkeye said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@Hawkeye

also PS2 looks like crap on a HD TV....seriously....but PS3 upscales the games to make them look nice

just giving you a warning as I could not play GT 4 or FF12 on my friends HD TV with his PS2 plugged in

My GC and VC games look like S**T on my HDTV but it is too much of a pain to unhook the sesor bar and transfer TVs :(

I do have another TV though that is SDTV and 30 something inches big. Does PS3 make PS2 games look great the way the Wii makes VC games look great? (assuming I an SDTV, I am sure PS2 games will look terrible on HDTV) 

The PS3 does have an upscaler for PS1/PS2 games, but how well it works (in my experience) varies widely from game to game. Looking at what you've said so far, I think your best course of action would be to get a PS2 now and let that tide you over until the holiday season. My reasoning for this is simple:

1) you have a HUGE list of games you want to play on it.

2) it only costs $130, which I assume you have availible.

3) If it does get a price cut, you'll only "lose" $30. Instead of the possible $50-$100 if you get a PS360 at the "wrong" time.

4) It'll give you time to decide whether you have to have BK3 (ie. it'll be out by then and you'll be able to read reviews/look at screens and trailers/maybe play it at friend's house a few times)

5) you won't have to worry about BC for your games. While the 80 GB PS3 does play most PS2 games, not all of them work. (the site to check the BC status is: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus )

6) It'll stop darth, starcraft, and Maffoo from flaming each other. ;)

lol, actually, this is probably the best advice so far. If you like JRPG's, the PS2 will keep you playing for a very long time. By the time you are done playing it, and want a PS3 or 360, they will probably have dropped $100 anyway.

The cost savings in electricity alone will be more then $30, so you will have broken even :)

New plan
Step 1: stalk your game store until shipments come
Step 2 buy as many wii's as you can
Step 3:Sell them online
Step 4: ????
Step 5: $$$$

And then you can buy both 360 and PS3...

Former something....