By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft unveiling new 360 RPGs next week in Japan

ClaudeLv250 said:
Riachu said:
DQ is not very popular outside of Japan like FF is. FFXII sold over 5 million copies but DQVIII sold like 4 million copies(with over 90% of the sales coming from Japan)

DQ8 sold shy of 5 million with over a million of those sales from America and Others. Japan certainly didn't account for 90%. Also DQM Joker for the DS outsold Revenant Wings in America. SE said since DQ8 that they wanted to make it a strong franchise outside of Japan and it's working...slowly.

Star Ocean is a pillar franchise. Enix never actually developed the games they published before the merger including DQ

No it's not. When Square and Enix merged the pillars got shuffled around. Now it's DQ, FF and KH.

But it will take a long long time before DQ becomes as popular here as it is in Japan

What's a pillar franchise? 

Around the Network
Riachu said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Riachu said:
DQ is not very popular outside of Japan like FF is. FFXII sold over 5 million copies but DQVIII sold like 4 million copies(with over 90% of the sales coming from Japan)

DQ8 sold shy of 5 million with over a million of those sales from America and Others. Japan certainly didn't account for 90%. Also DQM Joker for the DS outsold Revenant Wings in America. SE said since DQ8 that they wanted to make it a strong franchise outside of Japan and it's working...slowly.

Star Ocean is a pillar franchise. Enix never actually developed the games they published before the merger including DQ

No it's not. When Square and Enix merged the pillars got shuffled around. Now it's DQ, FF and KH.

But it will take a long long time before DQ becomes as popular here as it is in Japan

Pillar franchises are their best selling, most important franchises. Before the merger, Square's 3 pillar franchises were FF -> SaGa -> Mana (Seiken Densetsu). Chrono, Front Mission, etc. are all considered to be smaller and not as important.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
Riachu said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Riachu said:

Pillar franchises are their best selling, most important franchises. Before the merger, Square's 3 pillar franchises were FF -> SaGa -> Mana (Seiken Densetsu). Chrono, Front Mission, etc. are all considered to be smaller and not as important.

Isn't Chrono Trigger like one of the most popular JRPGs ever made or something?

Edit: Gah! Can we not delete posts? I forgot to quote Riachu in my post initially, so I tried editing this one and couldn't manage to add the quote. I went ahead and made a new post in order to quote him and assumed I would be able to delete the first one but can't figure out how to.

I really don't like "smart" editors in forums. Is there any way to disable that and just use html (or similar) style tags when making posts? For all I know it might be how I like it on my Mac, because I don't recall seeing this smart editor before, but that might just be because I don't post often and haven't had anny issues thus far (in my very few posts).

Riachu said:

Isn't Chrono Trigger like one of the most popular JRPGs ever made or something?

Yes, but unfortunately Squaresoft and now SquareEnix seem to have no desire to capitalize on that popularity. Unforuntaley, there is only one other entry in the series. Therefore, it's not one of their best selling or most important franchises and still doesn't fit Claude's accurate definition of a "pillar" franchise.

It's amazing how much fan support there is for Chrono Trigger. Here's a list of a crazy number of fan projects related to the game: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Fan_Projects.html

It simply boggles my mind that SquareEnix does not attempt to capitalize on that fan base. Especially after they shut down at least one fan remake of the game in 3D years ago.

Around the Network

I have nothing against original JRPGs on the 360.

But Im gonna be feeling kinda of furious if one of these turns out to be Star Ocean 4. It would just show that MS is buying up famous JRPG series and flushing them down the toilet. And sony is just sitting there picking their assholes and watching them do it.

Sony is so fucking slow these days, They're showing non competing whatsoever. The way they're showing no reaction to this flood of games on the 360 is making me consider buying a 360.

If anything interesting gets shown next week on that conference, then I'll probably buy a 360. Im just starting to get fed up by Sony and their fucked up game developement progress, its fucking snailing along. Plus the fact that Sony is juggling too many fucking consoles. Seriously PS2, PSP and PS3 all 3 at once? Reduce it to one fucking console Sony, might be a good explaination Microsoft is getting so many games, while Sony is struggling to get any of either of their platforms.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

More jrpg are available now and more we talk about them, I'm getting more interested in them.
I did play Blue Dragon recently - for about 5 hours.
It was ok. I know many of you love it but again, it's my first jrpg.
Thinking about trying LO next.

tales next.

rukusa said:
I have nothing against original JRPGs on the 360.

But Im gonna be feeling kinda of furious if one of these turns out to be Star Ocean 4. It would just show that MS is buying up famous JRPG series and flushing them down the toilet. And sony is just sitting there picking their assholes and watching them do it.

Sony is so fucking slow these days, They're showing non competing whatsoever. The way they're showing no reaction to this flood of games on the 360 is making me consider buying a 360.

If anything interesting gets shown next week on that conference, then I'll probably buy a 360. Im just starting to get fed up by Sony and their fucked up game developement progress, its fucking snailing along. Plus the fact that Sony is juggling too many fucking consoles. Seriously PS2, PSP and PS3 all 3 at once? Reduce it to one fucking console Sony, might be a good explaination Microsoft is getting so many games, while Sony is struggling to get any of either of their platforms.

I don't see how MS's purchasing of RPGs would be MS flushing the RPGs down the toilet. It's not like they'd be making the developers make the game worse than they'd otherwise be in any significant way. I guess you could say MS would possibly be flushing the RPGs' sales down the toilet, but when it comes down to it the PS3 isn't doing much better (and currently has a smaller user base) so it probably wouldn't be a very large impact on sales outside of Japan. The only way it would really be hurting the developers at all beyond simple hometown (Japan) image is if they intended for the games to be multiplatform. In that case, I would agree. Major RPGs being multiplatform would benefit everyone except whichever console owner would otherwise be the single platform of choice.

MS purchasing RPG is not a problem, but MS purchasing JRPG is really flushing them down the toilet.
Actually, they even flush the companies that make them down the toilet. But that's not only MS' fault, that's also the JRPG company's fault.
The purpose of a business is to acquire and keep customers. JRPG are not doing well since the PS2, and putting them on XB360 only accelerate their demise. Mistwalker is just a crap company nowadays, and their name doesn't mean anything anymore. Their JRPG on DS are not even looked after, and I bet their Blue Dragon DS will be a flop like all their other games. Compare to Level 5, that acquired lots of customers and now are keeping them, leading to great success. Their only franchise is on DS BTW, and they're racking the profit.
Most companies didn't risk their established JRPG series on it, they're not insane. Only Namco did that with their ToV, but they already started doing stupid things with the series on the DS. Like they killed their series on the DS by releasing crap as their first game on it, they'll probably destroy it on home consoles on the XB360. I don't think FFXIII is strong enough to assure success on PS3, so I very well doubt ToV will do.
Anyway, the PS3 and Wii are now 1.5 years old, so the good JRPG are starting to come to them, which is as it always was. The Wii will already have more JRPG than the XB360 this year, despite the XB360 one year headstart. The PS3 I think will be equal, depends on the delays. PS3 already have one of the two decent SRPG of this gen (the other one being FE). SRPG typically sell far less than traditional JRPG, and a SRPG reaching 150k units sold in Japan is very good already. Only FF Tactics reached such heights as selling nearly 1 million in Japan alone. SRPG are a niche of JRPG, that's why.

So actually, everything goes as planned initially. Saying that people should buy a XB360 now if they want to play JRPG is pure nonsense. Only a XB360 fanboy would say such nonsense. Someone that actually loves JRPG would never say this. Unless you have a habit of reselling your games and consoles, then I guess it doesn't matter.

Though it calmed down a lot, there's still this overhyping effect surrounding the XB360 releases, especially regarding JRPG. That's why the release of one more JRPG on it is seen as Jesus revived. That's cluthing at straws, seriously...

Maybe the next mistwalker game? I hope we see more jRPGs, especially something of the Last Remnant as we will finally get a PS3 RPG!