By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: "Only geeks want storage on the Wii"

I ususally like my quotation marks around... well... quotes.

Maybe I'm wrong -- and maybe the quote is out there somewhere to back it up -- but these sound like Edge's words, and not any PR person from Nintendo (even if NoE).

Around the Network

Truth to be told, avid gamers are geeks. I include myself to gaming geeks. Geek is not pejorative, not anymore at least. Nerd is pejorative though. He could have said hardcore gamers instead.

naznatips said:

For at least the dozenth time: The opinions of Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of America are not representative of Nintendo's actual opinions or decisions, which are all made by their Japanese staff, who've already said a storage solution is being made.

For the same reason that it's stupid to say a random forum moderator at Ubisoft represents their opinions, it's stupid to say that a PR guy at NOE represents Nintendo's opinions.

Call me crazy, but isn't a PR guy's job to represent the opinions of the company he works for?

I recognize that he might be misrepresenting the company, but if so, it's pretty idiotic since that's his job.  It's actually reminiscent of some bad Sony PR from around the time of the PS3's launch.

Way to shit on the guys that kept you afloat for the last two generations.

I know it's just PR, but they're starting to sound more and more like the Sony of old.

i wouldnt be surprised if that rep didnt even say those words and that Edge just put in some words using a thesaurus choosing the worst sounding words.

but then even if he did say it, what does it matter? take a good hard examination of yourselves. you know you're all geeks or otakus. all he would be doing is telling the truth.

Around the Network
gog85 said:
i wouldnt be surprised if that rep didnt even say those words and that Edge just put in some words using a thesaurus choosing the worst sounding words.

but then even if he did say it, what does it matter? take a good hard examination of yourselves. you know you're all geeks or otakus. all he would be doing is telling the truth.

It is interesting that "geeks and otaku" was the only part in quotes, so we really don't have a context for that.  I would be willing to bet that the rep thought he was speaking off the record, as well.

Even so, it's the geeks who are going to buy the most Virtual Console games, and they'd be willing to buy a storage accessory which would have its own insane profit margin.  So at best, this comment is shortsighted.

It' s almost like Nintendo is saying to its hardcore gamers to go consummate themselves.

Not smart. GIVE people the storage. Even if you don't want to, don't insult them at least, Those are the people who bought your consoles last few gens, and those are the people who bought Wiiware and VC.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Shameless said:

"First Nintendo will not be concentrating any significant marketing spend on the service - journalists attending Nintendo's preview event were told that it was their job to spread the word about WiiWare titles via reviews and other coverage.
... when asked a pertinent question about the limited Wii system memory was raised, Laurent Fischer, managing director of marketing at NoE, easily slipped into talking about how "geeks and otaku" were the only people who want this issue addressed."

From Edge issue 190.

Nintendo are sounding just as arrogant as Sony ever was. Shows what first place does to you.

Link or scan, or it didn't happen.

BTW, why no full quote? We should have the full context of the comment at least. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I'm with Nintendo on this one. The only people I know that are complaining about storage are gaming mags/sites. The many people I know personally that own a Wii don't really give a damn, myself included.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

Entroper said:

Call me crazy, but isn't a PR guy's job to represent the opinions of the company he works for?

I recognize that he might be misrepresenting the company, but if so, it's pretty idiotic since that's his job.  It's actually reminiscent of some bad Sony PR from around the time of the PS3's launch.

As has been mentioned many times, Nintendo keeps their PR guys pretty far out of the loop, and doesn't really trust anyone outside their Japanese branch to make decisions.  NoE is considered largely incompetent as well for obvious reasons.  My post was in direct response to his title saying Nintendo says this, not a Nintendo of Europe PR rep.  

And yes, obviously it's bad PR.  Most of Sony's worst quotes from Kaz and Phil though... which is what made them so awful.   Every company has a few morons who don't know how to shut up, but if it's your management then there's a problem.