By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon sells out of MGS4 80GB PS3 in 5 minutes! -- T3H Domination Begins??

trestres said:
What if on top of the MGS4 bundles, what happened is that Amazon got a Wii Fit shipment that sold out in 0,001 nanoseconds????????

Both surely contributed to a crash lol.

Now seriously, it couldn't be because of the MGS4 bundle, you saw what people did to get a Wii, and how fast they sold out. It's just coincidence IMO, it's not possible for Amazon to crash that easily.

Go to alexa, type in the URL of the MGS4 bundle on Amazon, and prepare to eat crow.

Around the Network

Please stop jumping to conclusions as to what caused amazon to go down. The evidence is pointing to a dns attacker.

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/06/06/briefly-amazon-com-offline

DMeisterJ said:
trestres said:
What if on top of the MGS4 bundles, what happened is that Amazon got a Wii Fit shipment that sold out in 0,001 nanoseconds????????

Now seriously, it couldn't be because of the MGS4 bundle, you saw what people did to get a Wii, and how fast they sold out. It's just coincidence IMO, it's not possible for Amazon to crash that easily.

Go to alexa, type in the URL of the MGS4 bundle on Amazon, and prepare to eat crow.

Owned by FishyJoe :D

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

FishyJoe said:
Please stop jumping to conclusions as to what caused amazon to go down. The evidence is pointing to a dns attacker.

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/06/06/briefly-amazon-com-offline

Thanks, FishyJoe.  To believe that even 10,000 people buying this bundle every minute could take down Amazon is insane.  They should be able to handle at least several hundred-thousand simultaneous users. 

trestres said:
DMeisterJ said:
trestres said:

Owned by FishyJoe :D

Yeah, sure. 

As soon as the MGS4 bundle goes on sale, a DNS attack.

That's about as likely as the moon colliding with earth, while a F5 tornado, Hurricane, and Jesus coming back in the same split second of eternity.

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
YoppaDo said:
Sony have terrible marketing, the last advert I saw in the UK was for GT5:P, and that was about 2 months ago.
They let MS handle GTA and haven't bothered with MGS, what's going on.

They dont make money on the consoles sold...so to minimize the damage they dont bother advertising.

Simple business when you think about it

So your theory is that because they don't make money directly on consoles, they don't want to sell them? If that was their entire business model, why would they be making consoles to begin with?

The launch is still a week away. Consumers don't have the memory or the attention span to keep in mind something advertised this far in advance. Expect the ads to start next week.

It looks to me like this is shaping up to be a true relaunching of the PS3 -- or, as somebody said earlier, the PS3's "real" launch. I don't ever remember this level of scrambling for a new console bundle before. Seems Sony played their cards right for once.

Borkachev said:
colonelstubbs said:
YoppaDo said:
Sony have terrible marketing, the last advert I saw in the UK was for GT5:P, and that was about 2 months ago.
They let MS handle GTA and haven't bothered with MGS, what's going on.

They dont make money on the consoles sold...so to minimize the damage they dont bother advertising.

Simple business when you think about it

So your theory is that because they don't make money directly on consoles, they don't want to sell them? If that was their entire business model, why would they be making consoles to begin with?

The launch is still a week away. Consumers don't have the memory or the attention span to keep in mind something advertised this far in advance. Expect the ads to start next week.

It looks to me like this is shaping up to be a true relaunching of the PS3 -- or, as somebody said earlier, the PS3's "real" launch. I don't ever remember this level of scrambling for a new console bundle before. Seems Sony played their cards right for once.

Yes thats correct. Sony do not want to sell any PS3s. EVER. I'm glad thats what you got from what i said

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Well, this could be the PS3's Gears of War as far as platform exclusives go.

Prior to GoW, was there really any exclusive for the 360 that was specifically selling consoles?

I can't speak for anyone else, but that was the first game on the platform that truly caught my interest (due in part to the TV spots, no less)

@YoppaDo

did PS2 games have marketing??

I didn't see much then either..TBH

FF10 n GT 4 commercials were the main ones I saw

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Oh, my god! I went to amazon.com, searched on 360 and got an error! I guess all the 360's must be selling like hotcakes...