By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Microsoft Needs a Kick in the Pants (and Why I hope MGS4 does it)

The 360 has a lot going for it right now.

It has the biggest gaming library out of all the current gen systems, a robust online system, comparable graphics to Sony's machine, and is easy to program for, especially for PC developers. Not only that, but Microsoft has gained some previous exclusive franchises, as well as getting tons more Japanese support than their previous system.

But I'll be damned if the price cut we received last August was a good one. $50 on the main SKU, $20 on the lower end, and $30 on the high end? What the ...

And that's the ONLY pricecut it has received. Sony came in the current gen market with their high end SKU at $599, but today, their main SKU is $399, which is cheaper than the high end 360.

The only reason Microsoft has gotten away with this so far ... cause Sony is struggling to beat them in NA. The previous NPD saw the systems selling neck-and-neck. As long as the PS3 isn't beating MS in NA, I don't think we'll see a good price cut.

And this is why I want MGS4 to kick the PS3 into high gear and handily outsell the 360. If we're lucky, we may see an MS price cut around August for Madden. But there's no telling how much of a price cut it will be. They might try to pull another half assed price cut like last time if the PS3 doesn't pick up like it should after MGS4.

What are your thoughts? Will MGS4 give the PS3 a nice boost? Will it be enough to force Microsoft to respond?

I do know one thing ... June NPD (not the upcoming May NPD) will be epic, no matter what happens. I've gotta start preparing some GIFs!

Around the Network

Microsoft is focused on profitability.

MS could try to make their online better -- for example, they could use centralized servers like Sony does with the PS3 (much, much better for most games), or they could offer it for free like Sony does, or they could improve the reliability of their consoles. But MS doesn't want to, because they're focused on profitability.

Why should MS drop the price of the 360? A big percentage of their sales are Elite unit sales, which are sales where users are effectively donating $100 extra to MS because, aside from the increased (and still relatively small) hard drive space, it's identical hardware to the Arcade and Premium systems.

I also don't believe MGS 4 will make a huge impact.  It will have some impact, obviously, and maybe the PS3 will outsell the 360 in June because of it, or maybe because of the $100 walmart/best buy deal, but it's not going to have the kind of impact that will get MS' attention. 

June NPD will be epic.

I think PS3 = 2x 360. If it does beat it by 2:1, expect a 250 arcade, 300 premium, and 400 elite.

If it's anything less than that, don't expect a pricedrop. MS is worried about profit now.

Heh, MGS4 will do nothing of the sort. Certanly will not do X2 the 360 with NG2 out this month as well.

Madyson5 said:
Heh, MGS4 will do nothing of the sort.

This was perfect thread until...this silly response

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

If it does or it doesn't get a price cut it won't matter to me since I already paid for mine. 

I think they're planning a cut for this holiday season irrespective of MGS4 sales.  They been on the market almost 3 years, with only a microscopic cut to show for it, and still have increased YoY sales.  Combine a price cut with GeoW 2, and Fable 2 and the 360 is set for a massive holiday. 

colonelstubbs said:
Madyson5 said:

Ok, lets think about this for a second if GTA IV couldn't do it why in the world would MGS4. Like I said, nothing of the sort. I have 2 PS3s in my house btw although I did cancel my pre-order for MGS4 and will pick up on the cheap later this year.  An actual US price drop will come later this year however.

I feel sorry for Microsoft. They've had some amazing exclusives and easily the best library up until recently and they're still struggling. It's a shame really.

the 80GB re-introduction will give more of a boost than MGS4

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Madyson5 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Madyson5 said:

Ok, lets think about this for a second if GTA IV couldn't do it why in the world would MGS4. Like I said, nothing of the sort. I have 2 PS3s in my house btw although I did cancel my pre-order for MGS4 and will pick up on the cheap later this year.

If GTA4 couldnt do what?

First of all, GTA4 was released on BOTH consoles, meaning it would affect the sales of both consoles. And, unless your blond, you will have noticed the sales bump for the PS3 was FAR greater than what the 360 got.

Secondly, MGS4 is a PS3 EXCLUSIVE, so the only sales bump (and believe me there will be one) will be attributed solely to the PS3.

Shall i draw it in crayons for you?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot