By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Apple won't kill the DS

There has been a story circulating around the wire that Apple is going to kill the DS with it's apps store.

Are the 'experts' ever going to understaind ITSS (it's the software stupid).

Nintendo's dominance has less to do with the hardware than the software. Nintendo is the leading software publisher in the world by a pretty big margin. Apple has essentially zero resources on its own to create games. Apple is 100% dependent on third parties. 

It seems the 'experts' are repeating the mistakes of the past and looking at the hardware only. The same mistake was made with the PSP. I think all they understand is looking at technical documents and barely give any recognition to the top software developers in the world.

Around the Network

as I said in the other post:

before you even get into how valuable the DS's back catalogue of games and backwards compatibility in new models is I dont think downloadable games is anywhere near mums going into shops and buying their kids a copy on Nintendogs on the spur of the moment or for presents etc just yet.

I remember being in Woolworths buying GTA4 on launch day and a woman in front of me had a pink DS and 3 copies of Nintendogs - Apple cant compete with that.

There's no point in thinking they both have touch screens they're the same market in my opinion.

I made a thread minutes ago.
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=28714

I agree with the software part. Unless Apple could come with their own Nintendogs, Brain Training and New Super Mario Bros, it will be impossible to "kill" Nintendo.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

also the iphone is much more expensive than the ds its no way apple could have any affect on nintendo.

3DS FC: 4355-9313-6815

iphone will suffer like the PSP good hardware sales, bad software sales.

Around the Network

Isn't this the same thing that was said about the fate of the DS (and Nintendo's dominance in the handheld market) when the PSP was released?

There have been games on cell phones and PDAs for quite a while. Why is Apple going to magically become dominant. They are not dominant in current markets now (there are competitors to iTunes such as Hulu with exclusive content and the iPhone is #2).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Depends on how apple goes at it, that's all.. they can sell units if they allow lime wire type crap to happen, so people get free games, people will buy them up like crazy.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

mike_intellivision said:
Isn't this the same thing that was said about the fate of the DS (and Nintendo's dominance in the handheld market) when the PSP was released?

There have been games on cell phones and PDAs for quite a while. Why is Apple going to magically become dominant. They are not dominant in current markets now (there are competitors to iTunes such as Hulu with exclusive content and the iPhone is #2).

Mike from Morgantown

Well, iTunes still has 80% market share of the revenue (at least if we just talk about music) so I would say they are still dominating that market.

More than that - the iPhone is expensive. As in, REALLY expensive for a handheld. How could anyone think that a $400 + monthly cellphone plan multimedia-convergence device can compete with the $130 DS? This just seems like another PS3 v. Wii debacle waiting to happen.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
More than that - the iPhone is expensive. As in, REALLY expensive for a handheld. How could anyone think that a $400 + monthly cellphone plan multimedia-convergence device can compete with the $130 DS? This just seems like another PS3 v. Wii debacle waiting to happen.

Yeah but there is a reason for this price difference.

In any case, the topic is right. no way jose... This article was in forbes only to spark a debate of how wrong it is and generate advertising revenue for them