By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Forbes ever learn? or "Why Apple Could Kill The Nintendo DS"

I didn't read this, but I assume it's as accurate and well researched as their "How Grand Theft Auto IV threatens the Wii." article. =P

Around the Network

The only DS game that could do really well on the iPhone is a Ouendan (EBA) rip off. With its multi touch features the gameplay could benefit from it. Downloadable music could also be a little extra. Aside from that I can`t think of DS games doing better on the iPhone. Zelda, Ninja Gaiden and TWEWY fast gameplay is impossible with your fingers alone. Traditional games like Castlevania and NSMB are very hard to do without D pad and buttons. Brain Training games can be done, but good look taking that market from Nintendo.
Gaming on iPhone can be a viable business, but it could never "disrupt" the DS.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

BrainBoxLtd said:
I didn't read this, but I assume it's as accurate and well researched as their "How Grand Theft Auto IV threatens the Wii." article. =P

Even more accurate - he's now saying now EA has developed a game for the iphone as has Sega then the DS is dead.

Mentioning motion controls for a handheld is also worthless.
It really is nothing but a gimmick when it comes to handhelds, because there has to be very, very few handheld games that could benefit from motion control without it being detrimental to the experience...mainly not being able to see what the hell is going on because you're tilting the screen everywhere.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Mentioning motion controls for a handheld is also worthless.
It really is nothing but a gimmick when it comes to handhelds, because there has to be very, very few handheld games that could benefit from motion control without it being detrimental to the experience...mainly not being able to see what the hell is going on because you're tilting the screen everywhere.

i've always wondered that - basically unless you're limited to tilting a couple of degrees then it's not gonna work.  I mean you cannot play wii tennis on it. 

Around the Network

Wont happen in this handheld gen. Future possible.

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

Mummelmann said:
Has Apple ever had a smash hit that was not a rip-off of something else? I-pod and I-book ideas were already in use as far as I know. And just how well is Mac doing these days?

Apple doesn't tend to invent as much as it perfects.  Xerox Parc created the GUI interface with mouse input, but Apple made it usable and marketable.

As far as how Mac is doing these days, Mac marketshare has been growing for quite a few months.

Concerning the original post, Apple can be a force to be reckoned with.  Mr. Jobs seems to have learned a lot of hard lessons during his tenure at Next, and since regaining control of Apple has begun to take over several markets, such as portable music players and online music sales. The iPhone is also having a significant impact on the smart-phone market.

I understand the skepticism.  When the iPod was first released I said, "Who the heck would pay that much for an MP3 player?"  Well, now that they own about 80% of that market, I guess there is something compelling in a device that has a very elegant interface and ease-of-use out the wazzu... regardless the price.

Well well well... the iPhone/iPod Touch are not going to be a threat to the DS, at least not much. I see them more as a blue ocean gaming products, selling to markets that are not yet really that gaming savvy. Though I don't have any real information to back that up, but I suspect that a lot of the iPhone/iPod Touch owners are also Mac users, and gaming on Macs is not that common, so they could present a new market to conquer.

@Mummelmann
Macs are doing fantastically well, I started a thread about their last quarter results a while back, see
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=27264

Now to slightly another matter, I am really excited about the coming App Store, and I'm seriously thinking about setting up a game studio to make games for the iPhone/iPod Touch. It may seem that the multi-touch screen and accelometer don't offer that much in terms of gaming, but I already have some ideas and I think it just takes a bit of time to really understand what you can do with that kind of setup. Also, although I don't think it will be really succesfull, there is an accessory to iPhone that provides a d-pad and buttons:
http://www.icontrolpad.com/

Even a pro-Apple journalist thinks this story is bunk.

http://www.macworld.com/article/133784/2008/06/iphone_ds.html

FishyJoe said:

Even a pro-Apple journalist thinks this story is bunk.

http://www.macworld.com/article/133784/2008/06/iphone_ds.html

I agree wholly. Nintendo DS is not going anywhere, except to astohishing new heights. The only effect iPhone/iPod Touch _might_ have is to prevent those who own one from bying a DS. But nobody is going to buy an iPhone for gaming instead of a DS, and thinking that is just sheer folly.