By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - now PS3 is picking up speed how will MS resond?

Bitmap Frogs said:
If what the ps3 is doing can be called "picking up speed" there are a lot of speedy snails on my garden.

Both HD (lol*) consoles have been a disappointment so far.

*GTA4 640p, NG2 558p, etc

Disapointment to what?  the 360 has vastly improved it's poisition in the market from the Xbox, is increasing is sales YOY, has a great online model in place and amazing software sales and the PS3 is also gathering speed, successfully won the HD format war and will continue to drive that home, has a SKU in the 80GB that I think people will purchase and will continue to gather momentum throughout 08 I reckon.

Dont get me wrong I love my Wii and it gets more play than my 360 but i will get a PS3 at MGS4 launch and can see that this gen has 3 great consoles that each bring something to the table.

Around the Network

@disolitude no, I meant you were just talking trash even if you don't even like the genre, like LOTS of people do comparing games against each other and they don't even play either of them. But ok, the discussion about racing is over. You can argue all you want about game scores and whatever, sales don't lie. Some people like me see more atractiveness on a $40 demo rated 80+ than paying $60 for an overhyped GTA3 upgrade rated 97+

MS is still in excellent condition to stay on their current course. Sales for 360 are still very good, so the gap between it and the PS3 is closing very slowly.

Exclusive game lineups are compareable this year, both systems have some great software coming out.

They would benefit a LOT from a price drop in NA, but until Sony's within 1million installed base, I think they have room to maintain their current pricing. I would say the price would definitely have to drop before Sony overtook them to have an extended and meaningful impact.

I think we would be lucky to see the price drop in November. It would have a major impact on holiday sales though, especially with current economic conditions.

Me said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
If what the ps3 is doing can be called "picking up speed" there are a lot of speedy snails on my garden.

Disapointment to what?  the 360 has vastly improved it's poisition in the market from the Xbox, is increasing is sales YOY, has a great online model in place and amazing software sales and the PS3 is also gathering speed, successfully won the HD format war and will continue to drive that home, has a SKU in the 80GB that I think people will purchase and will continue to gather momentum throughout 08 I reckon.

Dont get me wrong I love my Wii and it gets more play than my 360 but i will get a PS3 at MGS4 launch and can see that this gen has 3 great consoles that each bring something to the table.

Both HD consoles have failed to their promise of HD gaming. These days 1080p is unheard of and lately not even 720p is guaranteed. Sure there are more to graphics than resolution but things like the fuzzy quality of NG2's visuals is appalling. Marketshare wise, the strides ps3 is making these year are minimal - it feels big selling 50k a week in the USA when last year it was selling 90k a month. The 360 ain't igniting sales, neither. Unlike what some people wouldn want you to believe, volume is what matters and both HD consoles aren't moving that much. 

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap Frogs said:
Me said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

Both HD consoles have failed to their promise of HD gaming. These days 1080p is unheard of and lately not even 720p is guaranteed. Sure there are more to graphics than resolution but things like the fuzzy quality of NG2's visuals is appalling. Marketshare wise, the strides ps3 is making these year are minimal - it feels big selling 50k a week in the USA when last year it was selling 90k a month. The 360 ain't igniting sales, neither. Unlike what some people wouldn want you to believe, volume is what matters and both HD consoles aren't moving that much. 

These sales are relative to the size of the HD gaming market - one thing the Wii has proved is that the uptake on HD gaming is not as big as people expected it to be at this stage into this gen. 

Taking this into consideration I dont see what difference 720p or 1080p would make in terms of software or hardware sales - if it's unheard of then it wont deter sales for either camp as most purchases are made for gameplay - not the logistics of the resolution.  Fact is the sales are expanding as HD uptake is expanding and if that disappoints you then so be it but as it has been stated so many times before this HD  gen is going to be a 10 year cycle and there's still plenty of time of 1080p's to be inntroduced and boundaries to be pushed. 

Around the Network
Magnific0 said:
@disolitude no, I meant you were just talking trash even if you don't even like the genre, like LOTS of people do comparing games against each other and they don't even play either of them. But ok, the discussion about racing is over. You can argue all you want about game scores and whatever, sales don't lie. Some people like me see more atractiveness on a $40 demo rated 80+ than paying $60 for an overhyped GTA3 upgrade rated 97+

If sales don't lie, then Okami must be a pretty bad game. And I do like racing games...not a fan of Forza and GT series tho I must say.

In any case, you seem to forget why the argument started to begin with. Crazzyman stated that quality of games matters more than price cuts...stating GT5p as an example. I can think of a lot better ps3 games that did not have the same impact so it can't be the quality. Brand name reckognition however is king.

Me said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Me said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

These sales are relative to the size of the HD gaming market - one thing the Wii has proved is that the uptake on HD gaming is not as big as people expected it to be at this stage into this gen. 

Taking this into consideration I dont see what difference 720p or 1080p would make in terms of software or hardware sales - if it's unheard of then it wont deter sales for either camp as most purchases are made for gameplay - not the logistics of the resolution.  Fact is the sales are expanding as HD uptake is expanding and if that disappoints you then so be it but as it has been stated so many times before this HD  gen is going to be a 10 year cycle and there's still plenty of time of 1080p's to be inntroduced and boundaries to be pushed. 

If you bothered to read my post, I not only complain for the HD sales but also because of the visual disappointment. But hey if you believe the 10-year koolaid or that software engineers can duplicate the amount of pixels the ps3 or the 360 can move I guess reading comprehension is the least important of your issues T_T

BTW, I have a nice statue of a lady wielding a torch and a book I am willing to part with, no delivery tho you gotta pick it up yourself at the hudson river. 

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

^there are new franchises that are hits, it's not all brand name. And about sales, I meant hardware sales. People buy a console (mostly) for its games, even if the sum of them (all) is not that great as we can see with the Wii.

But yeah, brand name is strong, specially if we're talking about great franchises. Many people like you buy a console especially to play a couple of games they won't be able to play elsewhere. People who don't have that choice, then just decide which game they just can't live without and act accordingly.

Bitmap Frogs said:
Me said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Me said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

If you bothered to read my post, I not only complain for the HD sales but also because of the visual disappointment. But hey if you believe the 10-year koolaid or that software engineers can duplicate the amount of pixels the ps3 or the 360 can move I guess reading comprehension is the least important of your issues T_T

BTW, I have a nice statue of a lady wielding a torch and a book I am willing to part with, no delivery tho you gotta pick it up yourself at the hudson river. 

so are you trying to tel me this early into the PS3's and 360's lifetime the "software engineers" have hit the limit and it wont be pushed.  You also think that 720P would need to be doubled to hit 1080P?

Everstar said:
X360 has a ton of games comming out for it later this year MGS4 is not going to hurt them that bad i mean 360 outsold Ps3 in the Us by about 20k and its almost the MGS4 lanuch and the 360 has nothing comming out atm lol

The PS3 has dropped off in the US because people are waiting for the glorious approaching bundle. Please take the time to think through your responses before posting such drivel

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot