By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - now PS3 is picking up speed how will MS resond?

A game doesn't have to be GOTY candidate to move a considerable share of hardware on its own. Sports games like Madden do it all the time, 90+ on metacritic or whatever doesn't mean a game is a bestseller or moves consoles, I think you'll agree with that.

Around the Network

@disolitude, I bet you don't even like race games. So I'll just ignore the racing game discussion which I think is not part of this topic.

CrazzyMan said:
It`s pointless,
GC started at 199$ when PS2 still costed 299$.
It`s all about games.

x360 had a pricecut in Europe, after that it went from from 40-45k to 70-75k

You contradict yourself in the next sentence already. Price drops do matter, and I know you are very good at repeating the greatness of a 299 euro PS3 yourself. ="Must Have"

The longer there hasn't been a price drop on the X360, the bigger the effect of one will be.

In the US the X360 doesn't have a reputation of a console that desperately has to drop the price all the time to be able to sell. So when one actually happens, it will mean something.

I'm hoping for a late summer price drop to $279. I beleive that would lift the sales from 55k to 75k steady sales per week in NA, beating the PS3 by 10K per week during the fall.

As the X360 is already over 2.5 year old and has a great game library, the importance of new game releases decreases. Plus the X360 game line-up in 2008 is almost as good as the PS3's.

CrazzyMan said:
Like GT5p is the best game ever maybe...and thats why it scored 80 on metacritic. How about Rockband which is a 360 exclusive in Europe for now which is at 90+ on metacritic...

Scores on metacritic matter on 90% only to FANBOYS. Normal consumer usually read 1-2 review, or see an advertisement and buy game.
GT5P got not much on metacritic, because reviewers reviewed it like a full game, when it`s just a PROLOGUE.

Come on, GRID got 9 from EDGE and Eurogamer, and what, it sold 30k on both consoles.
MGS4 will sell millions, even though it god 8 from those 2. Nobody really cares about metacritic.

GT5P has best graphcis todate and is just GREAT, but compared to FULL GT5 it of`course couldn`t get 100.

Thats actually really sad...because GRID is quite awesome. If they slap GT5 name on it I guarantee you it sells more than the current version of GT5.

@Magnific

I agree with you there. Maybe this all started as a missunderstanding. I thought he said "quality of games" determines sales. Maybe he just meant games popularity and name. If so I fully agree...

disolitude said:

^ I mean...lets be realistic.

We all see the games coming out for both consoles... I don't think anyone can claim PS3 games are better than 360 ones as a collective as of yet.
Like GT5p is the best game ever maybe...and thats why it scored 80 on metacritic. How about Rockband which is a 360 exclusive in Europe for now which is at 90+ on metacritic...

People reckognize GT5 name, they know playstation name...hence why sony still gets more business than 360.

CrazzyMans argument was that its only games that matter. Not true. Names of games...maybe...

EDIT: my wii reamrk perfectly fits in my argument because it shows that they can cut prices all they want to hurt each other but won't do a dent in the race to number 1 spot.

Your Wii remark does fit and I think we all know it'll finish first but there's clearly also going to be a lucrative HD market and somebody's gonna want to own it, the sales may be that close right now between 360 and PS3 but there both gonna make moves and not just rely on price cuts. 

The 80GB will boost PS3 sales and I also feel MS has plenty of options to also boost sales but I think they'll want to put the whole hardware failure thing to bed and what better way to do it with a new model.  I think it will come for the 360 - it's just a matter of when

Around the Network
Magnific0 said:
@disolitude, I bet you don't even like race games. So I'll just ignore the racing game discussion which I think is not part of this topic.

I dislike GT5p...lol, all of a sudden I don't like racing games eh?

Me said:
disolitude said:

^ I mean...lets be realistic.

We all see the games coming out for both consoles... I don't think anyone can claim PS3 games are better than 360 ones as a collective as of yet.

People reckognize GT5 name, they know playstation name...hence why sony still gets more business than 360.

CrazzyMans argument was that its only games that matter. Not true. Names of games...maybe...

EDIT: my wii reamrk perfectly fits in my argument because it shows that they can cut prices all they want to hurt each other but won't do a dent in the race to number 1 spot.

Your Wii remark does fit and I think we all know it'll finish first but there's clearly also going to be a lucrative HD market and somebody's gonna want to own it, the sales may be that close right now between 360 and PS3 but there both gonna make moves and not just rely on price cuts. 

The 80GB will boost PS3 sales and I also feel MS has plenty of options to also boost sales but I think they'll want to put the whole hardware failure thing to bed and what better way to do it with a new model.  I think it will come for the 360 - it's just a matter of when

We will see how Japan plays out. If Sony can somehow convince that island to buy the brand they have always bought PS3 will take over 360 rather qucikly (end of 2009). I am not sure MGS bundle will be enough for that. I really wonder what Japanese want from their consoles these days... I just don't understand it. Every time I meet someone from that area they are quite hardcore in gaming...yet the Wii is tearing up the charts.

If what the ps3 is doing can be called "picking up speed" there are a lot of speedy snails on my garden.

Both HD (lol*) consoles have been a disappointment so far.

*GTA4 640p, NG2 558p, etc

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

wii sports scored horribly on metacritic

that did not stop it from being the best system seller in history

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Bitmap Frogs said:
If what the ps3 is doing can be called "picking up speed" there are a lot of speedy snails on my garden.

Both HD (lol*) consoles have been a disappointment so far.

*GTA4 640p, NG2 558p, etc

I think your making some reference to sales performance and then you talk about screen resolutions after , WTF are you on about.

The PS3 is gaining momentum in the US even without strong software support , Microsoft is going to have to cut the price of the 360 as more Sony exclusives roll out otherwise face becoming irrelevant. Gears Of War 2 will be a saving grace for the 360 though.