By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - UNZIP files SLOW SLOW in vista

Well like the titles says, why is it that when you extract files from .rar files or whatever it is really slow in vista. i had xp and my files would extract very fast, but under vista it is slow. i am not the only one whining about this because many people online have mentioned this aswell.

I am currently using Winrar and do not wish to change it. Is there anything i can do to spped it up.  

Around the Network

I have never had a problem and I do alot of extracting, maybe you need more RAM or a faster processor.

My laptop is running Vista Home Premium with 4GB ram and an AMD Turion 64x2 Dual Core processor (1.9GHZ) and it unzips and zips slow.

I have seen shit slide uphill faster than winrar zips my files.

No joke, a 700MB game took almost 10 minutes just to zip. I didn't know I was using 7zip...

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

so is there like no way of fixing it because when i use xp i could like unzip a 4gb file in likw a min, but now it probs takes naerly 17mins or something

I .Rar 500MB + Files almost every other day, I haven't noticed any slow down in vista, I have a Q6600 with 4GB ram, using WinRar, dual booting XP & Vista.

Playing : PC  AOE, DiRT 2, Runes of Magic, Wings of Prey & Planetside 2  

Wii U : Nintendoland, Super Mario U  & Fifa 2013 demo

DS : Guitar Hero : On Tour

Formerly unknown as Vengi

http://vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=2331

Around the Network

My laptop running Vista unzips files above 500mb slowly no matter what program I use. It drives me crazy.

Consoles owned: 80GB PS3 w/bc, PS3 Slim 120gb
PSN: Yubitme        

obieslut said:
so is there like no way of fixing it because when i use xp i could like unzip a 4gb file in likw a min, but now it probs takes naerly 17mins or something

You could also go into your Defrag and turn off autostart. That shit runs like every other day and really slows you down without you even knowing since it runs in the background.

If you have windows defender, try going into that and turning off all the startup programs you don't need.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

The problem comes from the Application Manager (as far as slow unzipping goes). Before unzipping the file do this:

-right click on the zip file and select "properties"

-in the bottom right click the "unblock" button then the "ok" button

Now when you unzip the file it should go much faster. The problem I'm now having is what to do when you have many zip files that you need to unblock. Anyone know how to batch or mass unblock files? Selecting several files at once and trying to unblock them just doesn't work...

So this still doesn't help with multipart .zip files...

Vista is a nightmare.

Currently playing:

2 Gig ram/core 2 2.0, Vista Business Premium no problems here.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

It also seems to be slow only with .zip files containing folders and sub-folders. If the .zip contains files only it's unzips in a flash.

@ Above poster

That doesn't really help with the issue at hand. It is all fine and dandy that yours is fine but alot of Vista owners experience the same issue the TC is.

Do you use Winrar or some other program? Anything you could add that would help?

I never understoof the whole "Well mine works" answer... -.-

Anyways, obieslut, I am still looking, if I find anything (as I have this same problem) I will send you a PM.

Currently playing: