By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - In game XMB...June 18th CONFIRMED

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/3167.html

Finally, the xmb for psn will touchdown on june 18th...a week after mgs4. I just hopes its good as its made out to be

Around the Network

How does this confirm anything? It comes from an unnamed Sony "source" just like every other rumor.

Either way, I've seen the official Sony in-game XMB before. IGN showed it off back in 2006 before the PS3 was released. Sony probably had to remove it since it may have been too similar as 360's in-game dashboard (patent), kinda like how Sony didn't have rumble because of the immersion lawsuit.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vvMy7_pnXjM

bbsin said:
How does this confirm anything? It comes from an unnamed Sony "source" just like every other rumor.

Either way, I've seen the official Sony in-game XMB before. IGN showed it off back in 2006 before the PS3 was released. Sony probably had to remove it since it may have been too similar as 360's in-game dashboard (patent), kinda like how Sony didn't have rumble because of the immersion lawsuit.

M$'s patent is bs.. they cant stop Sony from releasing in-game XMB even if they wanted to.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
bbsin said:

M$'s patent is bs.. they cant stop Sony from releasing in-game XMB even if they wanted to.

I'm sure they would want to.  And they can, if its set up in a way that infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Yea, I don't know how this is confirmed especially since the title of the article uses quotes around the word confirmed.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
ssj12 said:
bbsin said:

I'm sure they would want to.  And they can, if its set up in a way that infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property.

M$ vs Sony over in-game XMB would be the same as SeaGate vs Western Digital ove hard-drive tech a few years back. M$ would get laughed at by the courts like SeaGate was.

You have no idea how the tech world works when it comes to the legal side. As long as a company does their software or hardware slightly different then it's competitor they are fine.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

IllegalPaladin said:
Yea, I don't know how this is confirmed especially since the title of the article uses quotes around the word confirmed.

Well really the 2.40 developer SKUs was set out already so 2.40 should be released sometime within the next week or two, as well as a ton of patches for some older games for the inclusion of in-game XMB.

ssj12 said:
IllegalPaladin said:

Well really the 2.40 developer SKUs was set out already so 2.40 should be released sometime within the next week or two, as well as a ton of patches for some older games for the inclusion of in-game XMB.

I know, I'm just talking along the lines of this thread and it being confirmed for June 18th as a fact.

Still, rumors and such are suggesting that it will be soon. I'm hoping for just prior to the release of MGS4.

I'm not sure I dig the ingame XMB going right across the middle there :P I'd prefer a top and maybe left side of the screen XMB xD Maybe I'm being too picky, lets just get it here pronto LOL

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

ssj12 said:
starcraft said:
ssj12 said:

$ vs Sony over in-game XMB would be the same as SeaGate vs Western Digital ove hard-drive tech a few years back. M$ would get laughed at by the courts like SeaGate was.

You have no idea how the tech world works when it comes to the legal side. As long as a company does their software or hardware slightly different then it's competitor they are fine.

Actually I'm far more knowledgable about the legal side of the technology industry than I am the technical side.  I've spent the better part of the last six months studying Microsoft's various legal woes ().  bbsin wasn't talking about the XMB that was significantly different to MS's, but about strong similarities.  If Sony's XMB was too similar to Microsoft's and Microsoft had a declared patent (which I think they do?) Microsoft could sue very successfully.

Though I agree that Sony are not so stupid as to violate an XMB patent. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS