By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My thoughts on what's Wii's standard graphics should look like

The TEV made the GC able to mimic everything and I mean EVERYTHING that the Xbox could do and the sad part was that for obvious reasons the console's power was never squeezed out.

Rogue Leader(a launch game) was the closest game to do this and Factor 5 admitted that they could have done more if not for the strict deadline.

The reality is that devs today can't even push the GC but are trying to push HD systems with the result being plastic crap from everyone beside Sony and Epic and ridiculously high costs due to inexperience.Look at GT5 and then look at MGS4 and you will see what I'm talking about

Due to the Wii's success somewhere in the future we are going to see many of the so called next gen effects appearing on the Wii with people looking on in shock.When the reality is that devs are just being lazy with the extra power of the big systems.

The saddest part about this shit is that with all the research that I've done I think it's pretty clear that the company who can make HD games at the lowest price is currently Nintendo.You just can't make this shit up.

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

Around the Network
supermetalrockdave99 said:
All those numbers when comparing the Wii with the Xbox 1 don't really mean anything since the Wii is *supposed* to be developed completely differently than the other systems due to it's unique architecture (which Third Parties don't seem to know or care or use)

Read this: http://revoeyes.blogspot.com/2007/09/wii-can-do-lot-more-graphically-factor.html

Another Factor 5 interview but this time the Wii is being compared to the PS3. Remember that raw numbers don't mean anything; it's the performance and the resulting look of the game that are the key and Julian from Factor 5 explains why this is true for the Wii and why games can look almost as good as PS3 in SD.

I remember CNN posting an article about a decade ago about how, before or by 2008, robots would be intelligent enough to threaten mankind.  Here's a link:

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/science/9802/18/swiss.robot/

Don't believe everything you read.  Heck, Julian Eggbrecht is a designer, not an engineer, even, isn't he?

Mifely said:
blackbird3216 said:

Why do people keep thinking that the wii is not much more powerful than the Xbox Phat? It had a 733mhz 32bit celeron based processor. The wii doesn't have confirmed specs, and even at it's speculated "729mhz", it is still faster than the xbox processor.

But...The number on that xbox processor is bigger., you may say. Well, in fact, numbers do not matter. The powerpc architecture is much more efficient than the celeron process. Remember how apple used to brag about how much faster their powerpc computers were compared to all the intel made crap?

As an example, lets use computers as an example. I have a 2004 buit Pentium 4 2.8hz computer running on Windows XP. My brother has a 2.3ghz Intel core dual 2 that he bought last year, which was running on vista, the slowest OS ever made. Yet my brother's computer runs faster. Why? Even though vista is bugging down the system it still outperforms as "faster" processor. Bigger is not always better, and in this case it applies. Processor cache and system memory also has alot to do with how well the cpu performs.

Conclution: The wii is capable of more than the Xbox. The wii can do 720p, as a result. However, the 720p game cannot be very intensive, so something like SF4 on the wii could be 720p.

The Wii's CPU is certainly much faster than a Pentium-III of similar clockrate (The P3 is a pretty inefficient architecture, as the above poster implies) -- but the discussion was about the GPU and the graphics capabilities of the Wii, which the CPU differences, between the XBox and the Wii, doesn't have a huge impact on.

...and although the Wii's GPU probably has the fillrate to do 720p (albeit not too well), the Wii itself cannot output a 720p signal.  So... no game will ever be 720p on the Wii.  Sorry.

Why can't it? There are such things as software update you know. There is no technical limitation that won't allow it to. While it wouldn't be pratical it's possible.

sc94597 said:
Mifely said:

The original XBox used Nvidia hardware, which was basically an early, custom version of the GeForce 3. It had primitive shader technology (compared to the PS3 and 360 graphics chips), but it *did* have programmable shaders.

The Wii's graphics chipset is, basically, an overclocked version of the GC's. The GC didn't have programmable shaders, but it did have some "neato" functionality (some unusual z-buffer texture support, amongst other gizmos). The Wii's chipset is, more or less, just a faster version of the GC's. The original XBox's graphics chipset was primitive to the point of, frankly, not being able to do much more than the fixed function pipeline of the GC/Wii, but it, and the Wii, are pretty darn close, in terms of raw polygon/texel performance, unless you wrote some real fancy shaders on the XBox, which would be something the GC/Wii couldn't do, but were pretty slow overall (as compared to modern shaders) -- so fancy shading techniques weren't really used much on the XBox, unless the situation called for it.

The Wii's graphics performance suffers primarily from the fact that the Wii doesn't really have much more graphics memory than a XBox did. I want to say it has 64M of base RAM, and an additional 24M of VRAM, whereas the GC had 24M of RAM and 16M of VRAM -- but I honestly don't remember clearly. The XBox had 64M of RAM total shared between the CPU and GPU, and likely anywhere from 16-32M of that was typically allocated to the GPU... but that was entirely app dependant.

In any case, fixed function pipelines can look decent if you're clever with your resource allocation, but it will never be on par with the X360 or PS3, for a variety of reasons (clock, memory, and shader techonology being the main ones).

The wii has 24 mb of internal 1T-Ram, 64 mb of GDDR3, and assumed to have 3mb of edram. The xbox has 64mb of sd-ddr ram. Now that is already more ram than the original xbox by a decent amount. Take in consideration that the wii allows up to 8x more textures due to compression, and the original xbox only allowed for 6x, the ram of the wii being alot faster with 3 times less latency, and you will see that it trumps the original xbox in this area. While not as much as the ps360, the wii still is significantly upgraded from the xbox in the area of ram. The wii has twice as more pipelines and texuring units. While some say that the Wii isn't capable of some shaders they forget that the TEV in the wii is programmable, and is capable of doing anything that the xbox's gpu could. Actually it's been said many times in the case of the gamecube. While broadway and the original xbox's cpu are about the same in clock speed. Broadway is far more efficient than the xbox's cpu. The xbox's cpu was comparable to a celeron while the broadway is supposedly comparable to the powerpc 750CL. Broadway also has almost twice as fast of a fsb, and cache. So I'm going to stick with my stance and say the wii is capable of everything the xbox is capable of , but does it better. Even the gamecube was capable of everything the xbox was. The wii doesn't compare to the xbox 360 or ps3 though.

I think you just made my point for me. 24 + 3MB of dedicated VRAM is pretty comparable to the 16-24M that was typically allocated by a XBox game. Using the GDDR3 base RAM to increase GPU RAM just isn't feasible for a decent framerate, so... I just can't consider it, sorry. Sure the Wii has more memory than the XBox, and its CPU is faster, *and* its GPU is marginally faster to boot.

Yet... all things considered (take into account that the X360 has 512M of shared RAM, and the PS3 has 256M base and 256 VRAM, and way faster CPUs and GPUs), its not really a great improvement over the XBox architecture. It is a superior architecture, for certain... just not one that warrents a "Wii can do gfx like the 360 and PS3!" discussion.

It just can't do it. No amount of fancy coding can change that.

Mifely said:
All those numbers when comparing the Wii with the Xbox 1 don't really mean anything since the Wii is *supposed* to be developed completely differently than the other systems due to it's unique architecture (which Third Parties don't seem to know or care or use)

Read this: http://revoeyes.blogspot.com/2007/09/wii-can-do-lot-more-graphically-factor.html

Another Factor 5 interview but this time the Wii is being compared to the PS3. Remember that raw numbers don't mean anything; it's the performance and the resulting look of the game that are the key and Julian from Factor 5 explains why this is true for the Wii and why games can look almost as good as PS3 in SD.

I remember CNN posting an article about a decade ago about how, before or by 2008, robots would be intelligent enough to threaten mankind. Here's a link:

Don't believe everything you read. Heck, Julian Eggbrecht is a designer, not an engineer, even, isn't he?

Bad example my friend, Julian Eggbrecht and Factor 5 helped research the development of the Gamecube and they probably know the system better than Nintendo themselves. Rebel Strke is proof enough since that game still looks awesome with something like 20 million full shaded textured polygons running at a consistant 60 frames per second. Trust him when he says he knows what the Wii can do in relation to the other systems. I actually thought it was pretty funny that you thought that was a fake story....

Around the Network
Mifely said:

I remember CNN posting an article about a decade ago about how, before or by 2008, robots would be intelligent enough to threaten mankind. Here's a link:

Don't believe everything you read. Heck, Julian Eggbrecht is a designer, not an engineer, even, isn't he?

Bad example my friend, Julian Eggbrecht and Factor 5 helped research the development of the Gamecube and they probably know the system better than Nintendo themselves. Rebel Strke is proof enough since that game still looks awesome with something like 20 million full shaded textured polygons running at a consistant 60 frames per second. Trust him when he says he knows what the Wii can do in relation to the other systems. I actually thought it was pretty funny that you thought that was a fake story....

20 million polygons. That's amazing, considering the GC had 24MB of memory, and like 3MB of VRAM! Maybe you know how they pulled that off, or can point me to an article.  I never said the story was fake, either... merely that if Eggbrecht said that... well... he's off his rocker... He thought the SixAxis rocked for Lair, too.  sorry if he's your hero.

Or... did you mean a single level had 20M polys in it, and maybe a few tens-of-thousands were rendered in a single frame, at best? Pretty sure we're not talking about how many polygons might fit onto the Wii's DVD, and can be streamed in...

Mifely said:
Mifely said:

20 million polygons. That's amazing, considering the GC had 24MB of memory, and like 3MB of VRAM! Maybe you know how they pulled that off, or can point me to an article.

Or... did you mean a single level had 20M polys in it, and maybe a few tens-of-thousands were rendered in a single frame, at best? Pretty sure we're not talking about how many polygons might fit onto the Wii's DVD, and can be streamed in...

give me a minute and I'll find the link, don't worry it's true

Mifely said:

Rogue Leader was 16 million.

The engine allowed it to do 22 million with full bump mapping at 60 fps.

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

Mifely said:
sc94597 said:
Mifely said:

The original XBox used Nvidia hardware, which was basically an early, custom version of the GeForce 3. It had primitive shader technology (compared to the PS3 and 360 graphics chips), but it *did* have programmable shaders.

The Wii's graphics chipset is, basically, an overclocked version of the GC's. The GC didn't have programmable shaders, but it did have some "neato" functionality (some unusual z-buffer texture support, amongst other gizmos). The Wii's chipset is, more or less, just a faster version of the GC's. The original XBox's graphics chipset was primitive to the point of, frankly, not being able to do much more than the fixed function pipeline of the GC/Wii, but it, and the Wii, are pretty darn close, in terms of raw polygon/texel performance, unless you wrote some real fancy shaders on the XBox, which would be something the GC/Wii couldn't do, but were pretty slow overall (as compared to modern shaders) -- so fancy shading techniques weren't really used much on the XBox, unless the situation called for it.

The Wii's graphics performance suffers primarily from the fact that the Wii doesn't really have much more graphics memory than a XBox did. I want to say it has 64M of base RAM, and an additional 24M of VRAM, whereas the GC had 24M of RAM and 16M of VRAM -- but I honestly don't remember clearly. The XBox had 64M of RAM total shared between the CPU and GPU, and likely anywhere from 16-32M of that was typically allocated to the GPU... but that was entirely app dependant.

In any case, fixed function pipelines can look decent if you're clever with your resource allocation, but it will never be on par with the X360 or PS3, for a variety of reasons (clock, memory, and shader techonology being the main ones).

The wii has 24 mb of internal 1T-Ram, 64 mb of GDDR3, and assumed to have 3mb of edram. The xbox has 64mb of sd-ddr ram. Now that is already more ram than the original xbox by a decent amount. Take in consideration that the wii allows up to 8x more textures due to compression, and the original xbox only allowed for 6x, the ram of the wii being alot faster with 3 times less latency, and you will see that it trumps the original xbox in this area. While not as much as the ps360, the wii still is significantly upgraded from the xbox in the area of ram. The wii has twice as more pipelines and texuring units. While some say that the Wii isn't capable of some shaders they forget that the TEV in the wii is programmable, and is capable of doing anything that the xbox's gpu could. Actually it's been said many times in the case of the gamecube. While broadway and the original xbox's cpu are about the same in clock speed. Broadway is far more efficient than the xbox's cpu. The xbox's cpu was comparable to a celeron while the broadway is supposedly comparable to the powerpc 750CL. Broadway also has almost twice as fast of a fsb, and cache. So I'm going to stick with my stance and say the wii is capable of everything the xbox is capable of , but does it better. Even the gamecube was capable of everything the xbox was. The wii doesn't compare to the xbox 360 or ps3 though.

I think you just made my point for me. 24 + 3MB of dedicated VRAM is pretty comparable to the 16-24M that was typically allocated by a XBox game. Using the GDDR3 base RAM to increase GPU RAM just isn't feasible for a decent framerate, so... I just can't consider it, sorry. Sure the Wii has more memory than the XBox, and its CPU is faster, *and* its GPU is marginally faster to boot.

Yet... all things considered (take into account that the X360 has 512M of shared RAM, and the PS3 has 256M base and 256 VRAM, and way faster CPUs and GPUs), its not really a great improvement over the XBox architecture. It is a superior architecture, for certain... just not one that warrents a "Wii can do gfx like the 360 and PS3!" discussion.

It just can't do it. No amount of fancy coding can change that.

None of the ram is part of the gpu except the Edram. Everything is shared, and many developers said that the Gddr3 ram benefits the wii's graphical capabilities even more so than the T1 ram. Most pc gpus use GDDr3 anyway so how is it not feasible for a decent framerate? I also said about 3 times in my post that we won't see ps360 quality graphics, but a large improvement over the original xbox's. The only person who is saying the wii could do ps360 graphics is yushire, and I don't think he has any knowlege in this field.

Bored4life said:
Mifely said:

Rogue Leader was 16 million.

The engine allowed it to do 22 million with full bump mapping at 60 fps.

I think I realize why this discussion has continued so long. Keep in mind that a single vertex is typically represented by at least 3 floating point values. Each floatiing point number is 4 bytes... that's 12 bytes per vertex, assuming you have no color, no texture coordinates, etc. Lets say you have decent artists, or triangle stripping tech, and they share verts pretty well... so that, on average, each triangle only needs about 2 verts, due to triangle fans and strips.

Throw in a single texture coordinate (2 more floats == 8 more bytes)... 20 bytes/vert, 40 bytes (on average, per polygon, because your artists are good). 40 bytes per polygon... divide the system memory by 40... how many polys can you fit in memory at once, with NO code or other data on the machine? How many if you used some custom 16-bit fixed-point values instead of 32?

I think you're misinterpreting what you're reading, gentlemen. A single game level may have that many polygons it, streamed i, in small quantites at a time, while you traverse the level. At 60 fps, the GC could probably push no more than 350K one-pixel, untextured, unlit, etc. polygons to the framebuffer at best. Probably less. The Wii is probably about 600K at 60 fps, again with tiny, untextured, unlit polys.  Tiny, untextured, unlit is a hella lot faster than your typical textured, lit, decently-sized game polygon.