By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 51% market share for Wii in South Africa

I did a quick search and didn't see this posted, so here she blows.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=16054

It's not much info, but it is the only time I've come across any sort of sales or market share info for anywhere in Africa.

Basically all it says is that the Wii had a very late release in S. Africa, but had already captured 51% of the market. I have no idea when the PS3 and 360 launched in the region. 

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Around the Network

is that a reliable source. if so how big is the market there. i guess smaller then japan. if so then it is really igsignificant to the big picture of total market share. but anyway good for Nintendo

obieslut said:
is that a reliable source. if so how big is the market there. i guess smaller then japan. if so then it is really igsignificant to the big picture of total market share. but anyway good for Nintendo

If you are asking about NintendoWorldReport being a reliable source, yes they are. They've been around for years, do the E3 thing, interviews with industry folk, etc, etc. 

I'd imagine the S. African market is tiny compared to Japan, and I don't even know the population for that region. I think they have more pressing matters to attend to than does Japan. 

Never said it was significant to the overall market share, just sharing a tidbit of sales-related info I stumbled across. :) 

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Im sorry, the Wii market share is 0% of the console market. Since its not technically a console.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Im sorry, the Wii market share is 0% of the console market. Since its not technically a console.

care to elaborate?

Around the Network

He's being sarcastic, but there's a kernel of truth in that statement. When the NES entered the market, the market was controlled by gaming computers. Supporters of those gaming computers thought of the console as inferior, but it reigned supreme and it had many other consoles follow it up. The last direct descendants of the NES are IMO the 360 and PS3, as the Wii once again revolutionises, just like NES did.
So if you take this into regard, you cóuld argue that Wii isn't a console, but a new breed of gaming device.

I wish they'd provide some real numbers instead of market share...the article in the South African paper itself is pretty sketchy...

Says Wii and 360 are still under 12 million worldwide and that PS3 is under 5 million worldwide...

Maybe its from last year? The worldwide sales figures are certaintly from 2007 given that PS3 was at 12.81 million shipped through 3/31/2008, 360 was at 19 million shipped through 3/31/2008, and that Wii was at 24.45 million shipped through 3/31/2008...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

mmm... soon its going to be like that all over the world...

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Elgefe02: could you remove those images from your sig? They're very annoying and I don't think people want to make 18 adblock rules just for your crappy sig images.

You dont like them?
Block them and stop whinning...

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989