By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What happens after pc sets itself apart graphically from ps360?

@sc

You have a point there, it gets cheaper and cheaper to make good looking games, but you still have to create all the content and make (or buy) the engine. It may become cheaper over time, but it will still be really expensive to build graphics to the best of the consoles ability, not to mention what it will cost to go beyond that. Most likely that extra money will only bring less revenue. But you were right.

About the second part, I'm not so sure your objection holds entirely (but, as I said, I try not to presume too much). The shift towards the new values Nintendo brings will not just affect console gamers, but PC gamers as well (this is purely speculation and I have no basis for this claim whatsoever). Also, I think you are putting too much value on what the developers think, and not how the gamers actually vote. If epic wants to make great-looking games for the PC that sells less than Audiosurf they'll probably loose a lot of money.

Your arguments have merit, I just like to argue ;)

This is invisible text!

Around the Network
Killergran said:

@sc

You have a point there, it gets cheaper and cheaper to make good looking games, but you still have to create all the content and make (or buy) the engine. It may become cheaper over time, but it will still be really expensive to build graphics to the best of the consoles ability, not to mention what it will cost to go beyond that. Most likely that extra money will only bring less revenue. But you were right.

About the second part, I'm not so sure your objection holds entirely (but, as I said, I try not to presume too much). The shift towards the new values Nintendo brings will not just affect console gamers, but PC gamers as well (this is purely speculation and I have no basis for this claim whatsoever). Also, I think you are putting too much value on what the developers think, and not how the gamers actually vote. If epic wants to make great-looking games for the PC that sells less than Audiosurf they'll probably loose a lot of money.

Your arguments have merit, I just like to argue ;)

Agreed, there is alot of speculation on both sides. I will just let this thread die since it's not easy to predict what will happen.

sc94597 said:

Final-Fan said:
sc94597 said:
XGamer0611 said:
sc94597 said:
XGamer0611 said:
The only reason PC gaming isn't number one platform or will ever be is the cost of hardware. In PC gaming you have to upgrade your hardware every 12-18 months. That isn't something people want to do or can afford for that matter.

With the price of high-end video cards exceeding the price of the PS3 and 360 (combined). There is a reason consoles stay the number one form of gaming.
But the consols rely alot on pc games. There is no doubt the pc games will stay on pc as the developement costs are cheaper, and the software sales are pretty good for the install base.
I agree with you. PC games are great. My point is unless hardware prices take a steep drop the PC will always be the alternative to the consoles.
That doesn't make sense.There is a very large userbase of pc gamers that will buy the games, and the attach rates are probably alot higher than those on the 360 and ps3. So I don't see how price would affect it unless the userbase was small, and games don't sell which it's isn't and they don't.
lol wut

define "attach rate" because you must not be thinking of the same thing I am thinking of.
I'm talking relative to the pc gamers, rather than everyone who owns a computer.

@ Slimebeast agreed, I may have uderstood the pont of it incorrectly before.
OK, so would you define "PC gamers" as everyone who ever bought a game for their PC (within the last few years, to make it fair to compare to this gen of consoles)?  I am pretty confident that the console attach rate will destroy your PC attach rate. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

The same thing that happens every night, we try to take over the world.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

The same thing that happens every generation: A few key PC titles will come out and wow people, thus encouraging a small jump in computer sales and PC games, then the next gen of Consoles come out. it's really nothing too exciting.

Around the Network

Erm... nothing?

Console games will always be better accepted and more liked than PC games, much lower cost of entry.

Four hundred versus a few thousand (for PC rigs that look better, and can run games at max settings), four hundred will always win.

DMeisterJ said:
Erm... nothing?

Console games will always be better accepted and more liked than PC games, much lower cost of entry.

Four hundred versus a few thousand (for PC rigs that look better, and can run games at max settings), four hundred will always win.

Try again, there is already a thread showing how with just $675 you have a nice rig to run almost everything at max...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
FJ-Warez said:
DMeisterJ said:
Erm... nothing?

Try again, there is already a thread showing how with just $675 you have a nice rig to run almost everything at max...

Okay, well 675 is more expensive than 400

Does that include the Monitor speakers, and all of that good stuff?

DMeisterJ said:
FJ-Warez said:
DMeisterJ said:
Erm... nothing?

Good stuff yes, but no monitor, just like a console...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
FJ-Warez said:
DMeisterJ said:
FJ-Warez said:
DMeisterJ said:
Erm... nothing?

Good stuff yes, but no monitor, just like a console...

Well, I have four TV's to play my console on.  So with a good monitor, it'd bring the cost of the PC to?