By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can MGS4 reach 7-10 mln. by the end of 2008 thnx to BUNDLE?

TheSource said:

I'm expecting this game to follow a similar pattern to Devil May Cry 4, but with much higher initial sales.

DMC4 had 140k day one in Japan on PS3.

Going by the preorders, I think this can do 20-30% more day one, probably 175k day one.

I had initially expected it to do 225k week one in Japan, but that looks low now. I think 240k-280k is pretty likely.

In Japan it will do something like...

260k-60k-40k-18k-10k-6k-4k-3k-etc.

But it will perk up when PS3 hw boosts from other games, and during holidays to over 10k I'm sure.

Can probably do 500k week one in the Americas with comparably lousy legs.

Maybe 450k week one in Others with slightly better legs than the other two regions.

I think something like 1.5 million A/1.75 million O/600k J is likely lifetime. Thats pretty good really given that none of the Metal Gear Solids have ever topped 6 million and the most recent one, MGS3, was around four million. 

I'm not even sure GTAIV will hit 7-10 million on PS3 lifetime, so even with a bundle its hard to imagine MGS4 reaching  7-10 million ever, let alone by the end of 2008. 

One question,

Is your estimation figure of 240k-280k without reported 80.000-100.000 mgs4 bundles? I mean in that case over all sales will be bigger for first week.

Around the Network
shanbcn said:

One question,

Is your estimation figure of 240k-280k without reported 80.000-100.000 mgs4 bundles? I mean in that case over all sales will be bigger for first week.

Sales for the PS3 bundle in Japan will not even come close to 80-100k for the launch week of MGS 4. PS3 isn't even selling 10k per week at the moment and it won't magically go up to 80-100k by a title like MGS. It simply isn't that big a franchise.

hmm while i disagree that mgs4 will sell 10 mil i think it will sell better than the privious titles due to the fact that mgs4 has had a alot more hype.

Just ONE week, and wee will know how BIG MGS4 is. =)
Well, atleast first day sales of Japan, and probably of UK will be available, maybe we will get USA sales, if they will be high enough. =)

p.s. anyway, i don`t remeber how many people predicted, that PS3 will start outsell x360 ww since december, but i do remeber, that some people predicted only 6-7 mln. PS3 sold by the end of 2007. =)) Time will show, pretty soon, But people shouldn`t underestimate MGS power, maybe GTA4 increase wasn`t so impressive, BUT MGS4 is another level of gaming.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

my opinion is very possible to hit 5 millions by the end of the year and about 7 millions life time sales...

Around the Network

I thought about giving a range of 4.5-6.5million by the end of the year.  So, I do understand that they may seem high. 

Crazzyman is very much living up to his namesake.  LoL. 

The Source is projecting a 1.21 million first week.  I think that MGS4 will obtain that, DAY 1.

I feel the American Sales is where the surprise comes from.  It's just up to Sony on wether or not they sustain these sales through July. 

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

5 million lifetime would be a tremendous success for a game like MGS4. Threads like this subject Sony supporters to endless ridicule. Halo 3 is at 7.9 million and it has a larger userbase and it is a much more accessible genre. COD4 hasn't reached 10 million (3.27 million on PS3) and it is the best game this generation. MGS4 looks like a great game and will clearly surpass any PS3 exclusive. Please don't set the bar to unrealistic levels, it just allows fanboys to paint any sales less than 7 million as a failure.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

If sony continues the bundle through the x-mas of 08 than it could very well reach 5 million... by the end of the yr... no chance in any other way..

I wouldn't say 10 million unless the bundle enjoys a 10yr life cycle. Defiantly not this year at least.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

it has even less chance than LBP

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia