By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA understands the Wii better than other developers - EA Sports titles

I was reading July's edition of Nintendo Power, and there's a section about the EA Sports title games. They had an interview with the executive producer David McCarthy. Now I'm not going to post all of it, because I'm not even sure if I'd be allowed to do that, and it's way to long to do so anyway. It might be available online somewhere, but I have slow dial up internet and I can't be bothered to try and search for it.

In this interview he talked about how they were approaching the EA Sports games this year for the Wii. Mostly it was about how they wanted it to be a few things:

1) They need to bring about a sense of fun to their Wii games. To do this, focus on multiplayer aspects, because of the social gamers that Wii users normally are. Also they focus on the look of the games. Madden (at least) has graphical overhaul.

2) Accessiblity. Family Play was the first step, and now All-Play expands that. In every game, using only the Wii Controller sets the user to "All Play" mode apparently, which allows the user to do basic movements and gestures, while the computer does some of the other stuff (including, for example, where the running back runs). Play clock and penalties are turned down or off, and a slimdown playbook (in Madden), so that the new users don't have to worry about so much stuff.

3) Innovation. Wants a few things that change the way you play the game (for both casual and hardcore players) in each of the EA Sports titles.

Then he goes on about how the heart of their business is and always will be the hardcore players. No exception on Wii.

Then he says a line which I think shows that EA understands the Wii and the direction Nintendo is going better than probably 99% of developers: "As long as we create ways for them [the hardcore] to experience gameplay that they consider meaningful to them, and as long as our accessibility features don't dumb down or dull the experience for them, I think they'll be just fine."

Also points out that motion controls should only be used when it feels natural to do such a motion. Making a throwing motion with the wiimote to throw a football makes sense, slashing the wiimote left or right for left/right jukes doesn't. Fun factor increases with natural motions, but decreases with too many or unnatural motions. 

I won't go into each EA Sports title game (though I would like to, but I don't have the time), but here are some points:

Madden 09

• Fewer gesture controls. Too many gestures were unnatural and difficult to remember. Seems like shaking the Wiimote will be the only motion (since it seems to the be natural reaction), but timing will be needed to pull off the move perfectly.
  • Call Your Shots: Select WR (TE and RB too probably) with pointer and literally draw their running routes.
  • Graphics more arcad-like, but still the best Wii Madden graphics to date.
  • 5-on-5, with arcade style games; big heads, different rules
  • Online updating rosters, live real life NFL scores, etc
  • Refer-Miis - OH YEAH

FIFA 09

• Seems to be using a similar point and direct players that PES08 is using
  • All-Play system actually has levels, so as the player gets better it stops helping them as much
  • Footii Match - Use Miis for wild arcade like games
  • Online matches
NCAA 09
  • Gesture based option plays
  • Wii-mote and nunchuck gesture based celebrations
NBA 09
  • 90s Arcade graphics (why?)
  • Exaggerated visuals to help find what players should be doing (like defense)
  • 2-on-2 that is a "homage to the high-flying dunktastic arcade hoop games of old"

Tiger Woods 09

• Fixed issues with swings

I haven't played any EA Sports games in a while, though I use to be a big Madden fan. If these games turn out as good as the way they talk about it, I'll be very interested, especially in Madden and Tiger Woods.

Discuss. 

Around the Network

there is gonna be a NBA and NCAA for the Wii? color me surprised

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

The only EA Sports Game that I care about is NHL hockey :(

>1) They need to bring about a sense of fun to their Wii games. To do this, focus on multiplayer aspects, because of the social gamers that Wii users normally are. Also they focus on the look of the games. Madden (at least) has graphical overhaul.

Well, I didn't know Wii gamers are focusing on multiplayer aspect as well as the "look of the games".

Heck, I'd thought that was the main focus of HD consoles.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
HappySqurriel said:

you've been sat waiting patiently for a while now for Wi NHL Hockey haven't you?  who knows - maybe one day.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
>1) They need to bring about a sense of fun to their Wii games. To do this, focus on multiplayer aspects, because of the social gamers that Wii users normally are. Also they focus on the look of the games. Madden (at least) has graphical overhaul.

Well, I didn't know Wii gamers are focusing on multiplayer aspect as well as the "look of the games".

Heck, I'd thought that was the main focus of HD consoles.

Well the wii nailed everything else, that is all that is left. oh and just becaue the wii isn't as capable as the ps360 doesn't mean it shouldn't be pushed graphically. OH and as far as multiplayer goes the wii is far above them in local multiplayer, in online not so much, but nintendo is working on that. 

HappySqurriel said:

I didn't even realise you were Canadian until I read that (it made me check your profile)

@OP. seems to me like they have basically copied PES08 into both Fifa and Madden.

EA never misses an oppotunity to get PR. I mean let's think about it. Ubisoft just gets bashed by the general Wii userbase for titles that aren't living up to their expectations. What's a good competitor's next move? Use that to your advantage. Start hyping up to the Wii owners that you are for them and talk about you have done it and are doing it now. Smart move by EA.

Lot of the EA sports titles, even before that, are going to go platinum on Wii. Because games like FIFA 08, Madden 08, and Tiger Woods 08 almost went platinum already. 09 versions are almost definite.

Good call EA. Someone give their PR guy a bonus.

I agree with Zucas. Ubisoft have a lot to learn from EA. It's no wonder some people wished EA to purchase Ubisoft. What I like with EA and the Wii is that they don't consider Wii users to be retarded.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html

Have a read

EA haven't understood what the Wii is doing. Nintendo are bringing out new IP to attract new gamers, then using their established franchises to push these gamers upmarket. The expected buying trend is
Wii Sports/Play/Fit -> Mario Kart -> Super Mario Galaxy -> Zelda -> Metroid

Whilst EA are making some great games, they are still stuck in the 'CaSuAl LoLz' frame of mind.

NB: All this will be taken back if Spore: Wii version is good