By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So is this the ime for Ninty to stockpile Wii to counter MGS4?

I think that there are some that would like to flatter themselves into thinking that Nintendo would be concerned enough to do something about MGS4 but I seriously doubt that anyone at Ninty is losing any sleep over it. It may not even have made it to their radar at all.

Around the Network

guess we'll find out soon Grampy but I wouldn't be suprised if they just ensure they have a "little victory" and stop and MGS4 Bundle drives PS3 sales above Wii type stories from emerging.

Nintendo plays this game like a Hawk.So,you can expect a jump in sales--in at least one region.

Maybe Nintendo also wants to use another strategy. They know that many people will go to gaming stores for MGS4 (or GTA4 a few weeks ago). Some of these could also buy a Wii or WiiFit, if they are available. In my oppinion a Wii and MGS4 are not necessary concurring products.

However it also could just be a giant coincidence with no real reason.

I was expecting to see a healthy 3rd week shipment of Wii Fit for NA. That didn't happen. 64k units? 20k units in Europe/Others? Even if they shipped/sold 50k units in Japan, this strikes me as being extremely low considering demand hasn't tapered off yet.

I find it really hard to believe they essentially sold out of two weeks worth of stock due to an 800k NA region launch. That was with less than 1m units total sold in NA after three weeks.

If Nintendo doesn't send out a significant number of units in NA for the 4th week following launch, they may as well stop running TV spots until they plan on keeping retailers stocked with inventory.

I expect to see Wii Fit in stores following the MGS4 launch (and consoles). Whether it's a strategic holdout of inventory, or Nintendo has been incapable of producing enough units, there is no point in running a $30m NA advertising campaign if you can't deliver the product to consumers in a timely fashion. That's over $30 worth of advertising dollars spent per $90 unit sold. Think about that.

This was supposed to be the biggest release for Nintendo this year. While Wii Fit should continue to see consistent sales once stock levels are normalized, so far, I see the NA launch as a failure to deliver enough product.

Some believe Nintendo simply doesn't care because of their current state of affairs? It's arrogant thoughts like this that will lead to trouble in the future if this is how Nintendo is planning on conducting their business.

With any common sense in the 4th week following launch, Nintendo will redeem themselves with hundreds of thousands of units sent to NA. Or Europe. Or even just WW.

Around the Network

VC games have never impacted big release titles on other consoles, so cross that out immediately.

So, Ninty obviously wasn't stockpiling for MGS4 release week...

What's the next excuse?

Shameless said:
No.

Looks like you were right. PS3>Wii this week in America.

Counter MGS4? No, it's only a small battle
they won the war already

How in the world would an in stock Wii cause someone who wanted to buy a PS3 to not buy a PS3 exactly?

Besides the fact that these two systems both spin shiny disc and output on to a TV, there is very little competition in people's minds on whether "Hmmm, do I want a PS3 and its type of game (shooter / driving / etc), or do I want a Wii and its unique game play and style of game?"

Everyone I know with a Wii, never considered a PS3 / 360, and everyone I know with a PS3 / 360 does not have any inclination to play Mario Kart over Gran Turismo / Forza.  (only the truly hardcore game system owners who post on websites like this typically own 2-3 consoles, normal (no offense meant!! ) people have one)

Wii just found a new group of buyers (casuals), and is priced well / with the right SW to connect to parents with young children. But Super Smash will never compete with MGS4 or GoW directly.

All are great machines that do amazing things, but I think the Wii is unto a new category of its own and all this Wii vs. the others is not a perfectly valid comparison.

^^ and thats my opinion as a marketing guy.

PSN: TheGodofWine (Warhawk / R2 / MotorStorm PR)

AND

PSN: Skigazzi (for KZ2 and future games)