By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why so much negative attitude this gen ?

LordTheNightKnight said:
DMeisterJ said:
RolStoppable said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
It's official. djmeiester is a Wii basher. The number of signers doesn't prove Wii owners want every game. He's just twisting facts.

Not to sound rude, but everyone who visits this forum frequently already knew this since quite some time. Heck, once he even insisted that people aren't buying the Wii to play games, he said that they buy it just because it's the popular thing to do. Hehe.

Sarcasm?

Did I really say that?

Must have been during my bad days

But I'm not a Wii basher! I have nothing against Nintendo and the Wii, they've revolutionized the gaming industry as we know it.

But I have something against people who act like the Wii is the second-coming of christ, that every game needs to be on that system, and all other systems suck.

Okay, assuming you aren't a basher, why are you pretending that kind of attitude is exclusive to Wii fanboys, and worse, act as though it's a significant fraction of them? Don't you realize you just described extreme fanboyism, which applies to ANY SYSTEM?

As for the Wii owners asking for games, it's the fact that they are getting VERY FEW NO BIG BUDGET GAMES. What part of that don't you understand? If they had even an appreciable FRATCTION of what the HD systems had, they wouldn't be asking for so much, because they would be GETTING them. 

Thank you.

You yourself said that they ask much for games to be on their system, because they're only getting a fraction of support from the HD systems (which combined have a userbase greater than the Wii, so there goes the marketshare excuse).  So Wii owners ask for more games since more games are being announced for the PS360, which is basically what I said, "wii owners feel like every game should be on their system", but I should have amended it with "because HD consoles are getting more support".  

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
@greenmedic88, but the dominant platform in sales and development are always one and the same, and hardware power has never had anything to do with it. For example: PS2, PS1, DS.

For consoles, there has always been a rough parity in terms of processing power and graphical capability. If the Wii is supposed to be the default development platform (which it is not), one of two things will happen. Either all console games will be simplified in keeping with the lowest common denominator for the purpose of ports, or the Wii will have to magically grow a CPU/GPU capable of achieving parity with the PS3/360. 

How many PS3/360 ports of Wii games have we seen this generation? No significant ones come to mind.

What platform are most of the big cross platform releases also (or originally) developed for? The PC. 

Current PC games beyond the Sims (the kind that require a decent CPU/GPU and at least 1GB of memory) just aren't going to start appearing on the Wii in an unmolested/cut down form.

MS Studio and SCE studio games aren't going to show up on the Wii. Is any PS3/360 owner going to buy a Wii port in this hypothetical leading development platform future over any of these games? 

This will be the first generation where the top selling console is not home to the most technically advanced games. "But I don't care about that!" you say? That's probably why you only game on the Wii. You're clearly not the only one. 

Most are aware that the game selection for the PSP and the DS are entirely different, so there isn't a lead development platform unless you just want to look at the number of titles being made. It hardly needs to be said that you couldn't pay me to play the vast majority of DS titles. 

Well after pc diffrentiates itself from consoles graphically, all of those developers who rely on graphics are going to go back to the pc. Then what would be the main developement platform? I would say it would be split between the wii and ps360. Also I beleive sonic unleashed being developed for the wii and then upgraded.

DMeisterJ said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
DMeisterJ said:
RolStoppable said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
It's official. djmeiester is a Wii basher. The number of signers doesn't prove Wii owners want every game. He's just twisting facts.

Not to sound rude, but everyone who visits this forum frequently already knew this since quite some time. Heck, once he even insisted that people aren't buying the Wii to play games, he said that they buy it just because it's the popular thing to do. Hehe.

Sarcasm?

Did I really say that?

But I'm not a Wii basher! I have nothing against Nintendo and the Wii, they've revolutionized the gaming industry as we know it.

But I have something against people who act like the Wii is the second-coming of christ, that every game needs to be on that system, and all other systems suck.

Okay, assuming you aren't a basher, why are you pretending that kind of attitude is exclusive to Wii fanboys, and worse, act as though it's a significant fraction of them? Don't you realize you just described extreme fanboyism, which applies to ANY SYSTEM?

As for the Wii owners asking for games, it's the fact that they are getting VERY FEW NO BIG BUDGET GAMES. What part of that don't you understand? If they had even an appreciable FRATCTION of what the HD systems had, they wouldn't be asking for so much, because they would be GETTING them. 

Thank you.

You yourself said that they ask much for games to be on their system, because they're only getting a fraction of support from the HD systems (which combined have a userbase greater than the Wii, so there goes the marketshare excuse).  So Wii owners ask for more games since more games are being announced for the PS360, which is basically what I said, "wii owners feel like every game should be on their system", but I should have amended it with "because HD consoles are getting more support".  

No wii owners are asking for some games on their system, because they are getting none.

DMeisterJ said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
DMeisterJ said:
RolStoppable said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Sarcasm?

Did I really say that?

Thank you.

You yourself said that they ask much for games to be on their system, because they're only getting a fraction of support from the HD systems (which combined have a userbase greater than the Wii, so there goes the marketshare excuse). So Wii owners ask for more games since more games are being announced for the PS360, which is basically what I said, "wii owners feel like every game should be on their system", but I should have amended it with "because HD consoles are getting more support".

But they aren't asking for every game. If every game is being asked for, that is a case of different people asking for a game. That's lumping a whole as one. That isn't how it works.

And I wrote "asking for so much", not "asking for everything", so I did not make a statement supporting your false generalization.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Unless he apologizes for, or at least admits to, twisting my words to make it look as though I had proved his point, when I did no such thing, I will consider him a basher.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
greenmedic88 said:
The Wii is more capable than the GC, which IMO, had the best visuals of the last generation in terms of lighting and shading. I'll subjectively say Xbox had cleaner graphics (only taking the best of breed on both systems), but then I never played the system extensively.

But that really doesn't matter to me because the absolute best graphics capable on the Wii, despite being better than the GC, will never even approach the best on the PS3/360.

That's not why I bought one, and it's certainly not why I ever use it. Unless something completely off the radar is brought to my attention at E3, about the only thing the Wii will be used for through 2008 is Wii Fit. And that's no exaggeration.

The absolute best compliment I could ever give to the visuals of a Wii game, now or for the duration of its life cycle, will be "That looks very impressive... for the Wii."

Agreed, but many games could be ported to the wii with a fair amount of downgrades. Some 1st gen games could be ported to the wii with no downgrades at all other than resolutions and maybe framerate. Developers just don't feel like doing the work. If the gamecube and xbox were pushed to their limits in more games you would say the same thing for the ps2.

I cringe when I read that. The question becomes what level of downgrades is considered acceptable to the gamer with exposure to more capable platforms be it PC or PS3 or 360.

I just couldn't see myself buying a Wii port of a PC game with downgraded graphics and simplified controls, barring the rare instance when motion controls made the game a more enjoyable experience. I bought Far Cry for the Wii, and that turned me off big time to the concept of PC ports for the Wii of what were originally visually pleasing games. The controls were horrendous too as a second insult. 

Frame rate shouldn't be an issue on the Wii since it doesn't have to display more than 480 lines of resolution. The Wii is fully capable of punching out smooth frame rates at SD resolutions. I've yet to see a game on the Wii with visuals so complex that they effected frame rates. 

So publishers should allocate more resources to make downgraded ports look as good as possible on the Wii? Does that pay off directly to the publishers in terms of increased sales? As in do sales for Wii ports increase in proportion to the visual results developers are able to squeeze out of the hardware? I'm going to put myself out on a limb and say no, they don't. A Wii port could get panned for looking terrible (and more importantly playing terrible with tacked on motion controls), but creating very impressive ported (downgraded) visuals for a Wii game isn't going to guarantee significantly better sales.

I strongly believe that developers should focus on new IPs on the Wii instead. The more original titles the better. Make it worth the multi-platformer's while to own a Wii and keep using it.  

greenmedic88 said:
sc94597 said:
greenmedic88 said:
The Wii is more capable than the GC, which IMO, had the best visuals of the last generation in terms of lighting and shading. I'll subjectively say Xbox had cleaner graphics (only taking the best of breed on both systems), but then I never played the system extensively.

But that really doesn't matter to me because the absolute best graphics capable on the Wii, despite being better than the GC, will never even approach the best on the PS3/360.

That's not why I bought one, and it's certainly not why I ever use it. Unless something completely off the radar is brought to my attention at E3, about the only thing the Wii will be used for through 2008 is Wii Fit. And that's no exaggeration.

The absolute best compliment I could ever give to the visuals of a Wii game, now or for the duration of its life cycle, will be "That looks very impressive... for the Wii."

Agreed, but many games could be ported to the wii with a fair amount of downgrades. Some 1st gen games could be ported to the wii with no downgrades at all other than resolutions and maybe framerate. Developers just don't feel like doing the work. If the gamecube and xbox were pushed to their limits in more games you would say the same thing for the ps2.

I cringe when I read that. The question becomes what level of downgrades is considered acceptable to the gamer with exposure to more capable platforms be it PC or PS3 or 360.

I just couldn't see myself buying a Wii port of a PC game with downgraded graphics and simplified controls, barring the rare instance when motion controls made the game a more enjoyable experience. I bought Far Cry for the Wii, and that turned me off big time to the concept of PC ports for the Wii of what were originally visually pleasing games. The controls were horrendous too as a second insult.

Frame rate shouldn't be an issue on the Wii since it doesn't have to display more than 480 lines of resolution. The Wii is fully capable of punching out smooth frame rates at SD resolutions. I've yet to see a game on the Wii with visuals so complex that they effected frame rates.

So publishers should allocate more resources to make downgraded ports look as good as possible on the Wii? Does that pay off directly to the publishers in terms of increased sales? As in do sales for Wii ports increase in proportion to the visual results developers are able to squeeze out of the hardware? I'm going to put myself out on a limb and say no, they don't. A Wii port could get panned for looking terrible (and more importantly playing terrible with tacked on motion controls), but creating very impressive ported (downgraded) visuals for a Wii game isn't going to guarantee significantly better sales.

I strongly believe that developers should focus on new IPs on the Wii instead. The more original titles the better. Make it worth the multi-platformer's while to own a Wii and keep using it.

The visuals wouldn't make the game not sell either. If they just market it in the way that makes the HD versions hits, that would likely make the game sell better. It's not as though marketing stopps working normally when on the Wii. Zack & Wiki sold less than the two RE games, but it was also barely marketed, while they were.

Simple proof (not claiming it's scientific proof) that it's marketing that's the key, not the issue of matching up visually. 

So 3rd party developers should allocate larger budgets on advertising? I'm sorry, but how does that make the games any better?

Are you more interested in seeing better games on the Wii, or better sales?

I've already opined that I don't feel graphics are a selling point for the Wii. Maybe for a Wii specific audience, but a pretty sizable percentage of Wii owners also own gaming PCs, PS3s or 360s.

greenmedic88 said:

It is very important to note that the two go hand in hand. 

If games have better sales, developers will focus more attention and effort into development of games for the Wii.

If developers make better games, they will see better sales (ROI is another matter).

greenmedic88 said:
So 3rd party developers should allocate larger budgets on advertising? I'm sorry, but how does that make the games any better?

I wrote "sell better", not "make better".

Both. Would you want good games on HD systems to to flop?

I've already opined that I don't feel graphics are a selling point for the Wii.

I thought the point was good games, not whether having the most processing power is a selling point for a system.

Maybe for a Wii specific audience, but a pretty sizable percentage of Wii owners also own gaming PCs, PS3s or 360s.

So what? Kaz Harai thinks unique content will help sell PS3 versions of games, why wouldn't new control (assuming it's well done, because bad control ruins even gamepad games) and a lower price tag be a selling point for Wii owners with HD systems? The developers will still sell the game regardless.

You don't have to buy the games if you prefer the HD versions, but don't you pretend you know what most Wii+HD owners are going to buy over the other. We don't know, and developers are lazy for not seeing if that's a market worth tapping into. It may not be, but they are just assuming it isn't with no proof.