By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Buying a new HDTV 32 inch for bedroom/gaming. What you guys think of this?

After much research, this is the best TV that I could find for my budget in that range(700 max).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102212

It's a Sammy, yes. You can get it for about $650 bucks at brick and morter(even walmart sells this one, shockingly). It's the low end priced model for this size, and it is the new 2008 model(of course a new low-end sammy is really, really good looking when you see it live). Referred to as "Model 3."

What is is missing from the 900 dollar 2008 Model 4 you ask?

- Older casing with speakers on the side instead of below it(doesn't affect performance)

- 1 less HDMI input(2 in total)

- No headphone out jack

- DNLe DNIe™ The Samsung Digital Natural Image engine: This exclusive Samsung technology dramatically improves the picture by enhancing the contrast, detail, white balance and reduces noise

- Contrast ratio which is 8000:1 instead of 10,000:1

However, let me damage control here.

1. The casing is a style thing.

2. I only have 2 HDMI things to use on it, lol.

3. I don't need a heaphone jack, my room is soundproof, and the speakers on the TV are excellent I hear.

4. I've compared TV's side by side and I can't really tell a difference on such a small set(32 inch).

5. Contrast ratio needs to increase as size increases to get the same result. A 19 inch monitor with 2000:1 contrast ratio(CR is only used to compare within brand btw) might look as good as a 32 inch monitor with 6000:1 because of the increased size. 32 inches is the minimum recommended viewing area for 10000:1 on a sammy(with high end 42's using 10k:1 with stunning results. Therefore more than 8000:1 on a 32 seems overkill and is barely noticable to the human eye, or so I've been told.

Now, there is no doubt the 4 series is a better TV...but it is also a top of the line TV where you are paying for features you might not need or want. Is it 250 bucks better is the question, and that is debatable.

The 3 series looks and performs amazingly well in person, and it is within my price range, which is surprising considering the quality of the brand and the picture/audio quality.

This TV improves over the 2007 model in:

A. Contrast ratio is up to 8000:1 from 7000:1

B. Gaming lag is down to 6ms from 8ms.(No ghosting)

The TV is of course 720p 1080i, not 1080p. This shouldn't be a problem, honestly. I can count the times on one hand I've actually used 1080p on my main TV, a 42 Toshi Regza(great TV, worse picture than the Sammy, fantastic price and amazing deal).

- 1080p adds a ton of money to the cost

- TV is 32 inches, so couldn't tell the difference with the human eye

- Little to nothing actually runs in native 1080p for gaming

- This set is strictly for gaming and maybe satellite HD(1080i)

I can't justify the ton of extra money it would cost if 1080p 32's are even available(I didn't even check).

So, anybody got a better recommendation for a TV in this price range at 32 inches that is comparable with this one? Any suggestions or warnings?

I'm off to pick up NG2. I eagerly await your responses. This is a major purchase, and as you can tell I've researched it heavily. I would like some opinions from fellow gamers who have had to make the same decisions that I have.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

come this christmas, these things oughta be dirt cheap. I definitely would like to see some of my Wii games in widescreen, so I will probably be browsing the smaller models for myself.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I am envious of you

And jealous

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

colonelstubbs said:
I am envious of you

And jealous

I haven't bought it yet, lol. WTB free tech support from VGChartz.

I am going to have to wait on NG2 if I buy this

I just sold Gears of War, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Devil May Cry 4, ICO, Hotel Dusk, and Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney online to help me afford this.

Is there anybody who can give me a pat on the back and say, "You're doing the right thing, it's a great tv." lol, cause I've got early buyers remorse already. 

NO NO, NO NO NO.

if its anything like mine, HD games will look amazing on it!

Edit: My TV is a Samsung 1080i 37" with 3 HDMI ports and 2 Scart ports and 2 component ports. 

Around the Network

Rol's right. You need a Wii for that thing.

And look on CraigsList. I found a refurbished 56" HD DLP for $480.

I AM THE KING OF SUPERDEALS!!!

I found a $500 26" 720p that doesn't look too bad, but I'm still not gonna go for anything until christmas sales hit.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

RolStoppable said:
Your top priority has to be to purchase a Wii. Everything else is secondary.

I'm buying a Wii with it, btw. Didn't wanna bring Nintendo into this discussion.

That said, more. I need more samsung love in this thread. I saw a Vizio tv today that was almost comparable with the Sammy in visual quality, 100 dollars cheaper, but had bad speakers.

I think I should stick with Sammy for the customer support and better speakers. Thoughts?

...Rubang, lol, a 56" hdtv for 500 bucks? I envy your superior buying prowess.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I bought a 32 inch olevia for my bedroom, and I like it. I went off of the consumer reports mag that had it highly rated for it's size and price class. It only has 1 HDMI port though, but is 600 bucks MSRP I think. Other than that I really like it, it has a great picture and supposedly is very reliable (though I've only had it for a few months, no problems yet). I can't really comment on the Sammy, because I honestly don't know much about it other than what you said. It sounds good though.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Looks good (I use a 32" for my 360 that I got for $550 $500 with Coupon code )

search for online Coupons though if Possible (CircuitC, BestB, ect. 10% off, ect.)

Mine is no longer in stock now I believe (new models were coming around and it wasafter Christmas.)