By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where are the titles for the older Wii owners??

I think what Gamerace is trying to say is that some of the recent announcements show that "blue ocean" to third-party means "kiddie" and "casual" rather than "rich" and "varied."

For example, Ubisoft decides to make a Beyond Good & Evil sequel, make it more approachable and does not place it on the Wii. Instead, the Wii gets treated like fools (RR-TV Party) and babies (Imagine Babyiz). Not saying the Wii games won't sell, but I think BG&E2 would sell as well on the Wii as on the PS3 and X360.

Similarly, Capcom does a new Puzzle Quest type game -- with Neopets characters.

Given the age of the gamers, traditional RPGs and several other under-represented traditional gaming genres might sell on the Wii, if companies would develop good ones. Instead, third parties tend to want to take quick cash outs, knowing that 1 percent of the Wii crowd means more than 250K in sales (and 4 percent gets you platnum).

In some ways, I feel like I have an Intellivision again. Older technology but more units than its flashier competitors (Colecovision and Atari 5200). And it got increasingly less support. Of course, the Intellivision was still having commerical games developed for it for half a decade after the other two ... so someone gets to have the last laugh. (All three have had homebrew games -- but they don't count).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
tabsina said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
brute said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Blame Nintendo.Their whole strategy is too have a system and games that appeal to the casual gamer.

sure games like MP3,zelda TP,disaster day of crisis,SMG,SSBB,MKwii,SPM dont appeal to the core gamer

Yeah but how many "casual" games outweigh those titles?

okay.. from the nintendo published games that have been released and not mentioned in the post above and are casual.. first .. here are the titles listed above

Twilight Princess, MP3, SMG, SSBB, MKWii, SPM
Total - 6

wii sports, wii fit, wii play, mario party 8, big brain academy: wii degree, endless ocean, wii chess, marble mania
Total - 10 Edit: 8.. sorry, got rid of two that weren't published by nintendo (mario and sonic and super swing golf)

brute left out the following in his list of core games, although some may be in the grey area, 'core games' underlined (based on opinion) - links crossbow training, mario strikers charged, donkey kong barrel blast, battalion wars, warioware, fire emblem, excite truck, pokemon battle revolution
Total - 8, underlined -  4

So in total, there are 10 core games, 10 8 casual games and 4 grey area games.. i think thats a pretty damn good balance

That proves nothing! You're only taking Ninteno 1st party games,from which their core franchises will always be geared towards the core audience and trying to make it look good.Try taking the wii's whole libary,and do a ratio of core to casual games.

RolStoppable said:
Shameless said:

It's really not very hard to find quotes about Nintendo targetting casuals.

"If we cannot expand the market, all we can do is wait for the industry to slowly die."

"..he discussed marketing games, and the forthcoming next-generation Revolution console to casual gamers, families and a female audience.."

"The company is pursuing a strategy of enlarging the market for its software with plans to target casual gamers."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/nintendo-discusses-expansion-of-the-games-market

Only the bolded sentence is an actual quote from a Nintendo representative and it doesn't mention casuals. The second sentence is the interpretation of the writer of the article. Where's the last sentence from, it can't be found in the link.

The only way for the market to expand was to attract casuals. Interpretation does not imply falsification, the writer was rather shortening the interview to save space and highlight important points. Quotations are not required in this case. Secondly the site is reputable and well-known, so there's no reason to suspect that the interviewee did not make those remarks.

The last quote is from http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2007/10/30/42499/nintendo-overtakes-sony-in-the-games-race.htm

"Whilst the sales weren't as high as I hoped, other titles for Wii aren't selling so well either. Only Nintendo titles are doing well.... Actually I was very surprised about the reality about Wii, because before I was making this game, I wasn't expecting that Wii would be a console targeted only for non-gamers. I expected more games for hardcore gamers. The reality is different to what I expected."

From Suda 51, developer of a highly rated third party game, implies that Nintendo games are casual which in turn implies that Nintendo games are targetting a casual audience.

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/01/16/suda-51-only-casual-nintendo-games-selling-on-wii/

*bleu-ocelot* said:

That proves nothing! You're only taking Ninteno 1st party games,from which their core franchises will always be geared towards the core audience and trying to make it look good.Try taking the wii's whole libary,and do a ratio of core to casual games.

What?  Ok, so you say "Blame Nintendo.Their whole strategy is too have a system and games that appeal to the casual gamer.".  And now you are saying, don't blame Nintendo, blame everyone else?

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

*bleu-ocelot* said:
tabsina said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
brute said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Blame Nintendo.Their whole strategy is too have a system and games that appeal to the casual gamer.

sure games like MP3,zelda TP,disaster day of crisis,SMG,SSBB,MKwii,SPM dont appeal to the core gamer

Yeah but how many "casual" games outweigh those titles?

okay.. from the nintendo published games that have been released and not mentioned in the post above and are casual.. first .. here are the titles listed above

Twilight Princess, MP3, SMG, SSBB, MKWii, SPM
Total - 6

wii sports, wii fit, wii play, mario party 8, big brain academy: wii degree, endless ocean, wii chess, marble mania
Total - 10 Edit: 8.. sorry, got rid of two that weren't published by nintendo (mario and sonic and super swing golf)

brute left out the following in his list of core games, although some may be in the grey area, 'core games' underlined (based on opinion) - links crossbow training, mario strikers charged, donkey kong barrel blast, battalion wars, warioware, fire emblem, excite truck, pokemon battle revolution
Total - 8, underlined -  4

So in total, there are 10 core games, 10 8 casual games and 4 grey area games.. i think thats a pretty damn good balance

Maybe you'll understand why if you look at what i bolded from your post, and furthermore what i underlined and coloured red..

if you are now saying that the 3rd party is the problem.. then clearly you are admitting you were very wrong about your original statement of Nintendo being focused on casual gaming, and you should also apologise for insulting another persons intelligence who rightfully couldn't fathom what you were talking about when you directly said that it was nintendo whose whole strategy it is to appeal to the casual gamer.. i have clearly proven (and i assume now that you agree) that this is not at all the case

Around the Network

Isn't there a Sim City game in development.... is that the sort of thing you mean.

TWRoO said:
Isn't there a Sim City game in development.... is that the sort of thing you mean.

Wasn't that cancelled?

Personally, I think this whole mature thing is a bunch of bull. As if a game becomes better because it has blood splattered all over the place or shooting everywhere. A good game is a good game. Just because there was no killing in Zack and Wiki doesn't mean that it is a kiddy game. Most kids couldn't get to the end. It requires some real thinking skills. And I would love to see more FPS like MP3 that require more thinking and problem solving. Just going from point A to point B shooting everything is no more mature than Zack and Wiki.

Words Of Wisdom said:
TWRoO said:

Wasn't that cancelled?

No, it wasn't.  It was only officially announced last week.  Coming out in September, actually.

As far as people claiming that Spyborgs is kiddie.... From what I've seen and heard its humor is a bit more mature than what you'd typically find in a game targeted at wee ones.

Coglestop said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
TWRoO said:

Wasn't that cancelled?

No, it wasn't. It was only officially announced last week. Coming out in September, actually.

As far as people claiming that Spyborgs is kiddie.... From what I've seen and heard its humor is a bit more mature than what you'd typically find in a game targeted at wee ones.

Kind of like Banjo Kazooie.

"Hello Big Bear"
"Hello Hunny Bee"