By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where are the titles for the older Wii owners??

Words Of Wisdom said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Imperial said:
@ WoW

GTA IV
Gears of War
Killzone
MGS4

just to name of few of the top of the head.

I'm thinking the FPS games are more angled at the drinking frat-boy age generation, not older owners.

Metal Gear Soild is a niche series in itself so it's not specifically targetting any age generation.

GTA4 is also targetting the young adult crowd.

Every MGS game has sold over 3 mil copies,and it's niche?What kind of game that deals in political issues and conspiracies is not geared towards adults?

Are you one of those silly people who believes that niche automatically equals low sales?

I think it's pretty unfair to call him silly when Niche titles generaly sell worse than titles directed at the mass market. MGS could be considered a product directed at the mass market , Violence , Monsters , Storyline etc it shares many components as other mass market games the fact that it's a stealth shooter game doesn't mean it's a niche product , the basic formula for MGS is actualy very similar to the average game.

Around the Network
Faxanadu said:
Zack & Wicki
Endless Ocean
No More Heroes
MP3
MR GAY
RE4
RE UC
WiiSports
WiiFit
Fatal Frame (coming)
MH3 (coming)

I dont see your problem

Don't forget: (all of these are coming soon)

Madworld

Alone in the Dark

Guitar Hero (especially the Aerosmith version)

Rockband

Conduit

Faxanadu said:
Zack & Wicki
Endless Ocean
No More Heroes
MP3
MR GAY
RE4
RE UC
WiiSports
WiiFit
Fatal Frame (coming)
MH3 (coming)

I dont see your problem

I agree with most of those, not No More Heroes and not sure about MH3 appealling to anyone over 40 either.

But those are out (except already noted FF) I'm taking about whats coming and there seems to be a lot of nothing. 

rasone77 said:
Faxanadu said:
Zack & Wicki
Endless Ocean
No More Heroes
MP3
MR GAY
RE4
RE UC
WiiSports
WiiFit
Fatal Frame (coming)
MH3 (coming)

I dont see your problem

Madworld

Alone in the Dark

Rockband

Conduit

wiis support is good but it could be better,i hope it will get better very soon

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

rasone77 said:
Faxanadu said:
Zack & Wicki
Endless Ocean
No More Heroes
MP3
MR GAY
RE4
RE UC
WiiSports
WiiFit
Fatal Frame (coming)
MH3 (coming)

I dont see your problem

Madworld

Alone in the Dark

Rockband

Conduit

I can't see Madworld appealling to anyone except young adults in my mind, same with Conduit.

Alone in the Dark - maybe. It's Atari and I don't have much hope for anything Atari touches but could be good with wide appeal.

GH,RB (and other music games) again, mostly young adults. Wii Music might be one with wide appeal to an older demographic.

Around the Network
Gamerace said:

Maybe I'm just venting but I'm getting sick of every Wii game looking like a cartoon and looking like a kiddiefied version of HD systems games (Skate It, Shawn White, Spyborgs, etc.).

Wii has the oldest demographics of the 3 next gen systems. So why is no one developing for the 30-70 yr old market of men & women who own Wii? This is a MAJOR gap in the Wii line-up and someone could get rich with the right offerings.

Nor am I talking about FPS or action games as those games by and large never appealed to this demographic either. I'm talking Brain Age, Chess and other strategy games, RTS, RPG, Myst type of games and others that would appeal to older folks looking for more of a storybased or cerebral game. Or some old school arcade or 2d action or puzzle games.

Of announced titles, only Spore really seems to have a chance of capturing that market - maybe. Fatal Frame maybe but that seems somewhat niche to me. And that's it.

Am I missing something? Or is the industry?

Making games without cartoony/stylised graphics will just show the age of the technology.

The majority of the older generation that buy Wiis are certainly not looking for hardcore RPG or RTS games either.

Shameless said:
Gamerace said:

Maybe I'm just venting but I'm getting sick of every Wii game looking like a cartoon and looking like a kiddiefied version of HD systems games (Skate It, Shawn White, Spyborgs, etc.).

Wii has the oldest demographics of the 3 next gen systems. So why is no one developing for the 30-70 yr old market of men & women who own Wii? This is a MAJOR gap in the Wii line-up and someone could get rich with the right offerings.

Nor am I talking about FPS or action games as those games by and large never appealed to this demographic either. I'm talking Brain Age, Chess and other strategy games, RTS, RPG, Myst type of games and others that would appeal to older folks looking for more of a storybased or cerebral game. Or some old school arcade or 2d action or puzzle games.

Of announced titles, only Spore really seems to have a chance of capturing that market - maybe. Fatal Frame maybe but that seems somewhat niche to me. And that's it.

Am I missing something? Or is the industry?

Making games without cartoony/stylised graphics will just show the age of the technology. - I do agree with this actually but at the same time, it feels like more and more Wii game look kiddie and that's not appealing to this market either. On the flip side, mass market games like GH & RB also seem to go for a stylized look so I'm not talking being hyperrealistic necessarily either.

The majority of the older generation that buy Wiis are certainly not looking for hardcore RPG or RTS games either. - True. In fact most don't have the time to invest in RTS. However many grew-up playing the early rpgs and strategy games on PC and I'm sure they'd still like them if they were made more accessible (not requiring a steep learning curve and playable in short bursts)

RolStoppable said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Blame Nintendo.Their whole strategy is too have a system and games that appeal to the casual gamer.

Provide a link to a Nintendo representative who says that Nintendo's strategy is to appeal to the casual gamer.

Ever watch a Wii commercial on TV ?

Those people playing the Wii in it look like hardcore gamers to you ??????

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Words Of Wisdom said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Imperial said:
@ WoW

GTA IV
Gears of War
Killzone
MGS4

just to name of few of the top of the head.

I'm thinking the FPS games are more angled at the drinking frat-boy age generation, not older owners.

Metal Gear Soild is a niche series in itself so it's not specifically targetting any age generation.

GTA4 is also targetting the young adult crowd.

Every MGS game has sold over 3 mil copies,and it's niche?What kind of game that deals in political issues and conspiracies is not geared towards adults?

Are you one of those silly people who believes that niche automatically equals low sales?

No.I just find you funny;a game that sells well over 5 mil copies,which means it appeals to the mass market,is considered niche? Are GeoW,SMG,and Halo niche also? lol Your quite funny indeed.

brute said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Blame Nintendo.Their whole strategy is too have a system and games that appeal to the casual gamer.

sure games like MP3,zelda TP,disaster day of crisis,SMG,SSBB,MKwii,SPM dont appeal to the core gamer

Yeah but how many "casual" games outweigh those titles?