By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - refinement or innonvation?

@Riachu

exactly....

With FF13 I hope a perfect mixture of both will be achieved..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Both. But they definitely should be afraid of throwing the old gameplay formula in the trash once the series has seen a few installments, and ESPECIALLY if they jump from one console generation to the next. Look how well it worked out for Resident Evil 4. People critiqued a game like DMC4 for not changing anything dramatically while DMC3 was extolled for its reinvigoration of the combat.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

darthdevidem01 said:
A combination of both...

e.g I feel the Mario Series REFINES very well...but doesn't innovate much...SMG wasn't innovative...but it was refined so well it IS one THE best game ever made.

While you have games with MORE innovations:

e.g FF12 - here they innovated through the combat system....but the refinement wasn't great as it wasn't as great as the previous one

How was walking on spherical objects, and launching from launch stars not innovative? Super Mario Sunshine wasn't innovative, but SMG was most definitely innovative with the concept of walking on planets.

On Topic: It'd take a combination of both to create an awesome sequel. Innovation in the series is a step up from the original game, and refining is bettering the base of the original, and ideas that come along. Both are equally important to me.

Brawl FC: 2106-1814-5245

Castlevania could use some innovation, the current games get refinements but never actual innovation

@guild525

its been done on R & C before SMG....also its on many online flash games...sorru SMG wasn't innovative

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Depends if the game was good or not :P

Good Game = Refinement all the way baby, take a FANTASTIC concept (the reason I fell in love with the game), and make it better than ever :P I'm not buying a different series I'm buying another part of this one, bring me what I love :D

Bad Game = Innovate, obviously it sucked the first time :D Fix that sheet >_> Make it into something that doesn't suck. Don't polish the turd prease.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

^^So all the Resident Evils before 4 were crap?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
^^So all the Resident Evils before 4 were crap?

Was that directed towards me o.O? If so, yes and including were crap >_>

darthdevidem01 said:
@guild525

its been done on R & C before SMG....also its on many online flash games...sorru SMG wasn't innovative

I've still never seen a video of that and don't believe it.  Did you have cube-shaped planets and planets in all shapes, and planets so close to each other you can jump straight up and get sucked into the other's gravity in mid-air?  Could one level have over 20 planets?  Or are you talking like.. just one level has a rotating floor?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@guild525

I've still never seen a video of that and don't believe it. Did you have cube-shaped planets and planets in all shapes, and planets so close to each other you can jump straight up and get sucked into the other's gravity in mid-air? Could one level have over 20 planets? Or are you talking like.. just one level has a rotating floor?

The ratchet I played was just one planet and you followed it around in a sphereical manner (I.E. the whole camera rotation mess your head type deal), there were numerous platforms and such and you had to platform upside down, and jump to neighboring satelites, but I don't remember if those had they're own center of gravity or not, they are different things, but its enough of a similiarity to not be blown away by galaxy.