By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what is everyone's top 10 rpg's of all time?

Domo-Kun said:
IMHO JRPG>WRPG, and I've been playing RPG-style games since I was about 10.

WRPGs are, by design, superior to jRPGs. Japanese RPGs are limited by it's archaic linear design, and abuse of non-interactive scenes, and some other things.

That's why you most likely will never see a jRPG reach the brilliance of Planescape: Torment in terms of story, characters, depth, complexity, intimacy and writing.

Around the Network
shio said:
Domo-Kun said:

WRPGs are, by design, superior to jRPGs. Japanese RPGs are limited by it's archaic linear design, and abuse of non-interactive scenes, and some other things.

That's why you most likely will never see a jRPG reach the brilliance of Planescape: Torment in terms of story, characters, depth, complexity, intimacy and writing.

They are both very different from each other so you shouldn't compare them.  What is linear disign anyway?

Riachu said:
shio said:
Domo-Kun said:

They are both very different from each other so you shouldn't compare them. What is linear disign anyway?

Linear design is when you play a RPG you go through the game in a Linear path. Where you play a game like FF6 where there isnt much to do except the main quest .

In contrast most WRPG's like oblivion which is really free and less restrictive compared to a  final fantasy

My Top 5 Games of All Time

1. FF7 4. SSX Tricky

2. FE7 5. RE4

3. MGS4

VALENCIA CF

SACRAMENTO KINGS

I have only played 3 RPG's: Oblivion, Mass Effect and Morrowind. I am no fan of RPG genre.

laziassazn said:
Riachu said:
shio said:
Domo-Kun said:

They are both very different from each other so you shouldn't compare them. What is linear disign anyway?

Linear design is when you play a RPG you go through the game in a Linear path. Where you play a game like FF6 where there isnt much to do except the main quest .

In contrast most WRPG's like oblivion which is really free and less restrictive compared to a final fantasy

FFXII being the exception to the rule since almost all areas are available from beginning to end.  However, the levels of the enemies in FFXII are predetermined where as in Oblivion the enemies in any area you explore has a level dependent on your character's level.

Around the Network

/\/\

I always hated that about Oblivian, it makes leveling kind of pointless.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

Honestly I like The linearity in JRPGs. I don't want to be able to go anywhere right off the bat, that'd just make me not want to progress the story at all^^; I don't like when you can't go back to past levels/areas though. What if I want to go back and explore again, or y'know, I didn't go down one path 'cause I picked the "correct" way to go first. And the like.

The Mother 3 Fan Translation is done! Everyone go get it right now! (Mother3.fobby.net)

Play Earthbound for the SNES ; ; Do it, it's awesome!

Proud participater of this year's Wii Secret Santa event! Hopefully you'll join the merriment next year!
Link below because I fail at embedding urls.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=51169&page=1

It's hard to pick only 10, but here's mine:

Arc The Lad: Twilight Of The Spirits
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 8
Radiata Stories
Golden Sun
Summoner
Summoner 2
Final Fantasy 6
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Diamond

My blog: TsalagiDragon on Wordpress

My online store: Tsalagi Dreams 

My Twitter: @Scary4Eva

Hmmm, it's hard to put them in order...

But I'll try.

1. Final Fantasy 6

2. Disgaea 

3. Golden sun

4.  Fire Emblem (7? The first NA release)

5. Super Mario RPG

6. Skies of Arcadia

7. Pokemon Gold/Silver

8. Final Fantasy 7

9. Tales of Symphonia

10. Dragon Warrior Monsters

1. Xenogears
2. Star Ocean 2
3. Star Ocean 3
4. Legend of Legaia
5. Lufia 2
6. Skies of Arcadia