By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much textures could the wii fit due to compression?

Thank you agian viper.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
sc94597 said:
Please I need more help. Did the original xbox and ps2 have any form of texture compression support? If so how did it compare to the gamecubes.

Xbox also had 6:1 S3TC texture compression.

PS2 supported a 4:1 texture compression BUT it had to be decompressed before ti was piped into the Graphic Synthesizer since ti couldn't decompress textures itself in real time. Meaning its benefit is purely storage only and not saved bandwidth like the other systems enjoyed.

Hence redrawing all the textures in RE4. Although S3TC is color based, meaning the PS2 could still fit in highly detailed textures, just not with the same color depth. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

So does the wii have any benefits at all over the gamecube,/xbox in this area other than doing 8:1?

Well, the Wii has more RAM to work with textures (88MB, the GC had 24MB. The other 16MB could not be used for textures) and more bandwidth (at least on the 64MB GDDR3 running at 800Mhz effective on 64 bit bus AFAIK... the other 24MB I don't know)

Most likely the efficiency at which it compresses and decompresses is greatly increased. It can also handle more AA on compressed textures than the others as well as other effects.

I'll do more research on it later.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Hm I might just turn this into a thread where I ask questions for answers I can't find on my own. Does anybody know where I can find the most detailed specs. Also what advantages in efficiency does the Broadway have over the Gekko and the Hollywood over the Flipper, if any.

Smaller chip sizes and fatter pipes to sum up.  I'll detail that later.

Wikipedia does pretty decent with specs.

The rEVOLution is not being televised