By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Consoles Headed for Extinction?

I hope there will be a single system eventually in the vein of DVD so it isn't just produced and monopolised by one company. A single cheap movie format encourages creativity by little indie film makers who know they can film a movie on a tiny budget and burn region 0 DVDs for next to nothing that will work on any DVD player in the world. I'd really love to see that for games. No region locks and an open format where anyone can develop and burn their own games for next to nothing with no need to worry about finding a big publisher. I admit I can't see it happening though, it's always going to be monopolised by a few key players.

Around the Network
Sky Render said:
Is it 1983 again? Because I could have sworn that I'd seen this article before about how Atari and its competitors were falling behind, and all the REAL sales were on the PC. Sure, the names are changed, but it sounds exactly the same. Oh wait, there's an acknowledgment of a system breaking records and making waves, so it must be 1987 again, then. I recall a lot of pro-PC articles coming out then too, and the declaration of consoles as dead even though the NES was a rising star back in the day bringing the industry back to life before their disbelieving eyes.

Why is it that journalists have no recognition of the past, or of patterns that emerge in the very markets they're supposed to be watching? It boggles the mind.

Beat me to it, I remember seeing this also... I can't remember where but look at sales on the HD console; they aren't as near to close to as many want them to be but they aren't generating shit in terms of revenue. How could any company look at GTA sales and Halo sales and say "well guys, were gunna give up our blockbuster so we can copy the Wii because it makes abit more money in this small timeframe we choose to only observe." Of course we can see a new type of console being out for awhile (Wii) that doesn't mean HD consoles are dead unless the console companies are as close minded as the person writing articles about "Console Extinction."

You raise a valid enough point, Ssyn, but I was pointing out the fact that console gaming was undergoing a revival between 1983 and 1987, and PC gaming journalists were responding the same way they've responded to the shifts in the industry caused by the DS and Wii. The big difference here is that the old face of consoles hasn't been completely obliterated the way it had been when the NES showed up on the scene.

Had the Wii and DS not come along, we would likely have seen the industry collapse around about... oh, 2010 or 2011. As I'm sure you're aware, budgets for games have been rising too fast to match up with profits. The industry giants would have become trapped in an inescapable cycle and led to their own demise from the sheer unprofitability of releasing a new blockbuster hit game. But again, that wouldn't necessarily have happened early on in this generation; it would have taken until around the end of it.

I personally hope that the Wii and DS emerging will get developers to reconsider and perhaps switch to episodic content instead which focuses on giving brief but valued gameplay instead of long, overwhelming titles that cater to small demographics. Such can be done effectively even on the 360 and PS3, and for far less than the megalithic games we see released nowadays.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Is he completely blind....

{points toward wii sales figures}

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

No, there is something to his argument, actually, darthdevidem01, but it's just as short-sighted as pointing to sales as a lone indicator of progress. He pointed out the very valid argument that actual profits from the sale of console games has been downward-trending as game budgets get bigger; that's just a given if you have no way to raise the number of buyers significantly (and why pointing at sales figures alone is meaningless; profits are what matter in the end). He falls short in his argument primarily due to not taking into account the re-emerging market of episodic (ie. short-but-intense) gaming. Under his analysis, console gaming is trapped in the bigger-budget-smaller-audience model, which isn't true thanks to episodic games.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

The biggest draw of consoles is the ease-of-use; no driver issues, current games are guaranteed to work on the current generation of machines, etc. Until PC's become as easy to upgrade/maintain/configure as consoles, there will be a market for consoles.

Console Gaming will never die, the market is bigger than ever

i think that in the next generation console market will start to shrink and handheld market will increase becoming main market for video games.

Reasonable said:
I find his views... simplistic.

The demand for entertainment that falls under the increasingly nebulous terminology of 'videogames' is on the rise in just about every way.

This entertainment requires some for of tech to deliver it - whether its a seperate box, a standard box you download code to, built into your TV or whatever.

This entertainment covers many specific niches - online MP (strong PC and 360 presence), online MMO (almost exclusively PC at the moment), SP videogames (PS3, 360, Wii and PC) and more casual family games (mainly Wii right now although PS3 should get stronger here, 360 is not making much headway here IMHO and PC is right out the picture as its normally off somewhere in a small room or office).

Standardisation is good in some ways (and devs would love it) but how do you get a Wii agreed upon? Or a 360? Or a PS3? Should the box have build in multi-media and HD playback or not?

The short answer is that there is no all encompasing trend and different consoles/approaches appeal to different audiences. Wii is great but I really don't see most MP FPS gamers seeing it as being anything other than weak while as of yet MMO is a PC monopoly.

Add to that unique IP and its even harder to standardise. MS and Nintendo guard the unique IP jealously. Sony didn't have to and have been caught somewhat with their pants down regarding IP many would see as unique to the brand but they still own plenty of popular IP - and all three want to use it to lure you to their 'club'.

I really can't see this changing much for quite a while unless one of the major players really gets way ahead in all areas (something none of the consoles including Wii I would argue looks likely to do at least this generation).

Yes, devs would like it - and in some ways the idea of multiple versions of the same game do seem faintly ridiculous - and I think many consumers would like the ability to view the tech more like a TV or a DVD player where they do the same thing and play the same content, but the current state of the market makes it very unlikely IMHO.

So consoles - as in a piece of tech that sits near your TV and allows you to experience videogame entertainment - aren't going anywhere. Whether after this gen Sony and MS are quite so keen to use the 'lose money on the console make it on the content' model and push high specs vs Nintendo 'make money on everything and don't push high specs' remains to be seen.

3DO tried going this route, but it didn't work.  That's not to say that 3DO's implementation wasn't flawed, but product differentiation is very import right now in the console market.

waron said:
i think that in the next generation console market will start to shrink and handheld market will increase becoming main market for video games.

I hope not, i barely ever play handhelds, unless im travelling a long way (like on a plane), Besides teh death of home consoles is more likely to benefit PC gaming as many games are on PS3/360 and PC, the Wii will also increase the home console market massively.