By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is it legal to set rules for people to review your product?

So because MGS4 is getting great reviews, everybody is assuming Konami has paid off EVERY reviewer in the world, all because one magazine started whining because Konami told them not to reveal the 90 minute cutscenes or 4gb install

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
So because MGS4 is getting great reviews, everybody is assuming Konami has paid off EVERY reviewer in the world, all because one magazine started whining because Konami told them not to reveal the 90 minute cutscenes or 4gb install

well, Heard about that before.... oh wait, yeah, people said the exact same thing about GTAIV not 2 month ago. ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
colonelstubbs said:

well, Heard about that before.... oh wait, yeah, people said the exact same thing about GTAIV not 2 month ago. ;)

The topic isn't even about MGS4. It's about the "limitation" on the reviews. MGS4 just happen to be an example.

It's not the first time this happened. I just didn't get around to question it. 

Hapimeses said:
In short: the intellectual property (IP) used in the review is privately owned. If you want review code early -- i.e.: you want access to their privately owned IP before the rest of the market -- you may be requested to sign the equivalent of an non-disclosure agreement, limiting your ability to freely talk about their IP. However, once that IP is released freely on the market, such limitations come to an end for obvious reasons.

So, if you want a review potentially filled with spoliers, or discussing aspects of the game that the publisher does not wished to be discussed, wait until after the game has had its official release.

That's about it. Nothing especially sinister, although it does pass control to the IP owners rather than the reviewers. And given most reviewers want their reviews out early, they sometimes have to sacrfice their free speech in the short term to achieve this.

This is the big catch.

Reviewers aren't entitled to early copies of anything.  Those copies are provided by developers/publishers at their discretion.  If the reviewer wants an early copy of a game, they must abide by the stipulations of the provider.  It's essentially a contract between reviewers and providers.

It serves both parties too.  Providers can dictate terms of the review and reviewers can get reviews out before their competition. 

Exactly, I don't see why this is a big deal when it comes to bitching about it. Yea, it sucks that you can't see these things in the early reviews, but reviewers want to get a review out early when they otherwise couldn't so what do you expect?

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
why is it legal? Because there's no law against it? What are you going to do, arrest IGN? ;)

It's just an agreement for ADVANCE review. If you don't like the term of the agreement, don't do the advance review.

I remembered IGN turned out its advance review for "Escape from Bug Island" due to the fact the game sucked. I don't remember anybody talking about that.

But you have to admit that it is very slimy of Konami to hide two facts that specifically are likely to turn off potential gamers from buying the game.

[edit] It looks like the actual list of things largely unknown, although we do know that the length of the cutscenes is one of them.  The total list is very long according to IGN UK. 

It's about the chance to review the game earlier. Once the game has been released they don't have to obey the 'rules' anymore. They just get a chance to review the game before the release date if they agree on some things. I think it's perfectly acceptable although Konami has gone too far. I'm sure it's not only Konami though.

EaglesEye379 said:
Im sure there could be a law suit on some freedom of speech angle.

I think its really a lol moment if they can try to restrict the 2 facts (90 minute cutscenes and 5gb install) and say its because of spoilers.

Its just makes future comments about biased 360 reviews and biased to 360 Metacritic averages all the more funny.

Then you are just dreaming.

Konami can set as many restrictions as they want when distributing early copies of the game for review...

It's up to the reviewer to accept those conditions or wait for the public release of the product..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

At the end of the day it's their choice. It's an unfortunate but necessary part of freedom and I wouldn't want to see laws enacted to stop it. Reviewers have the power to stop it without running to the law. Any arbitrary rules a company sets for reviewers to follow are not legally enforcable unless a specific contract is signed to that end. All it would take is the top sites to come to an agreement and tell companies where to stuff their rules. No company is going to try to enforce rules if it means no one will cover their product. The power lies with the reviewers, it's up to them to grow a pair of bollocks and exercise it.

Movies where studios expect to get bad reviews often do NOT have the typical pre-screening for reviewers. So the tactic is not new.

But this can backfire in the video game world. Nintendo evidently did not give "Game Informer" permission to talk about some Wii features/games prior to its release. The magazine has not been kind to the console since.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV