By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Almost 200k MGS4 pre-orders already in Japan (according to TheSource Prelim

It is hard to tell what the situation will be in Japan, and i think it is about time that interest shifted towards Europe and Others as this is where the PS3 gets its strength, not Japan anymore!

Around the Network

does 200k include the ps3 mgs4 bundles? coz i think lots of mgs fans are buying the ps3 because of mgs4

Sounds like big sales are on the horizon finally for the PS3 in Japan

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

greenmedic88 said:
There aren't enough LE bundles being made to make a significant difference in overall 1st day sales although the 80GB MGS4 bundles could, depending on how many Sony ships.

There aren't any exact figures on how many LE bundles were made, but they're being distributed via direct mail from Japan through Konami only, so that should tell you something right there. The only numbers I've heard suggested only in the tens of thousands.

Install base is going to cause a very rapid drop off. Figure most sales after the debut will be due to MGS4 80GB bundles.

Are you talking about NA? There are no 80gb MGS bundles in Japan. All Japan has now is the 40gb PS3 and all of the MGS bundles are 40gb PS3's, just different colors of it.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

This is what sourse said last time.

"Through May 22, 2008 total preorders for Metal Gear Solid 4 in Japan are at 165,000 units. That number includes the version listed as the ‘special edition’ as well as the version listed as the ‘limited edition’. With roughly three weeks left to order the game in Japan, the preorder number should increase at least another 10-15%."

He predicted 10-15% increase but there is already 20% increase and still 10 days to go. And don't forgot 80.000-100.000 Mgs4 bundles. So retail pre orders will be close to 250.000+100.000 bundles. These are retail pre orders so the actual sales can be lower for first week.

Around the Network
shanbcn said:
This is what sourse said last time.

"Through May 22, 2008 total preorders for Metal Gear Solid 4 in Japan are at 165,000 units. That number includes the version listed as the ‘special edition’ as well as the version listed as the ‘limited edition’. With roughly three weeks left to order the game in Japan, the preorder number should increase at least another 10-15%."

He predicted 10-15% increase but there is already 20% increase and still 10 days to go. And don't forgot 80.000-100.000 Mgs4 bundles. So retail pre orders will be close to 250.000+100.000 bundles. These are retail pre orders so the actual sales can be lower for first week.

I don't know if TheSource was talking about retailer or customer pre-orders, was that clarified yet? I'd say he's talking about customer pre-orders, y-koron is the one who usually reports on retailer orders. As for the bundles, I don't know if those are counted either.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I guess we will only find out the real figure when the numbers for that week are released!

MGS4 no.1 in all regions?

Squall_Leonhart said:
I guess we will only find out the real figure when the numbers for that week are released!

MGS4 no.1 in all regions?

It would be highly surprising if it wasn't no 1 in all regions... There's no game launched in that week which can compete with MGS4 in first week numbers.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

DMC4 did some 205-212K units first week.I would expect MGSIV to do at least slighty better.

MikeB said:
Sounds promising. 200K for its first week would make MGS4 easily the fastest selling PS3 game for Japan. Hopefully the release will push many hardware sales.

Not really, although it would be fair to say that it would make Metal Gear Solid "one of the fastest" selling PS3 games in Japan. Devil May Cry 4 opened with 209k in its first week... and has sold just over 303k lifetime in Japan. Dynasty Warriors 5 debuted with 186k in week 1, ended up at 409k lifetime. Gundam Musou started out with 175k, and unfortunately only made it to 298k lifetime.

So an opening around 200k would place Metal Gear Solid in the same range as several of the other big-name games that have come out so far for PS3. I think the interesting question is whether it will be the first PS3 title in Japan to break 500k sales.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)