By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you believe MGS4 will determine PS3 NA's success or final fate.

Spankey said:
if it's up to one game alone to "save" a console, it's a pretty sad state of affairs.

You'll find that most people don't truly believe any game is going to "save" their console of choice.  Rather there was a period of time when people where starved for games and blaming their console's poor sales on that so when ABC game was set to come out, they would all jump on the band wagon saying "That game will be the turning point!"

It should be pretty clear that most people that such a thing is not going to reasonably happen by now and since the PS3 is selling better than it has in the past, I think Sony fans are outgrowing that phase of their history.

Around the Network

No, MGS4 will not determine PS3's fate in NA. It will give it a helping hand but realistically over time sales that are generated from just MGS4 will pale in comparison to lifetime sales.

What's there to lose?

For the past several months (and to a certain extent since launch) Metal Gear Solid 4 has already been a major factor in why people were buying the PS3; since before GTA 4 was release, the long term (sustained) benefit of Metal Gear Solid 4 was about as large as it can get. Certainly, over the first couple of weeks there will be a boost for the PS3 due to the release of Metal Gear Solid 4, but soon after that the sales will return to the same level (or below) they have been for the last several weeks ...

PS3 has now fallen well below 360.. so i think MGS4 couldn;t have come at a better time to push PS3...

But now i m also thinking price factor is becoming a little more improtant too... so if Sony could have a price drop in summers it will really be gr8 and totally unexpected too.

Around the Network

I don't think it can decide anything anymore, and the hell of it is that it's not even MGS4's fault. It had the ability to decide things back when it was going to be released around the same time as FFXIII: those two games would have provided a one-two punch that would have been very difficult for other consoles to beat.

But the endless delays of FFXIII have pretty much scrapped that. Together, MGS4 and FFXIII could have done something. Apart like this, they will be mere footnotes.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Killergran said:
obieslut said:
determine no.
healthy contribution yes.
Agreed.

I already stated this in another thread, but it bears repeating: I do not think any game alone can move a console, more than at most a couple of hundred thousand. Having a good reputation, word-of-mouth and overall gaming-catalog (current and future) are more important than any given game.
I agree with the sentiment, but on the other hand:
Super Mario Bros. (1)
Tetris (Game Boy)
Super Mario 64
Wii Sports
Wii Fit
(I admit that it's too soon to call the last part of my list, and the Wii shortages complicate the data possibly to the point that it's impossible to say, but I'm pretty confident it's true) 

Obviously one game cannot singlehandedly change the fortunes of a console, but it can actually move more consoles than you'd think.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Onimusha12 said:
Hard to say, if it doesn't do well, Sony will keep floating with just its head above water.

If it does do well, Sony could speed up the process of passing the 360 from four years to two.
Come on, you really think that by June 2010 the PS3 might be TWO YEARS AWAY from passing the 360?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I think everyone here is missing the point of the OP. When he says 'determine the PS3's fate', he's not asking 'will it single-handedly sell a bajillion copies?'

He is asking if you guys see its sales as somewhat of a barometer for how well PS3 in general does for the rest of the generation.

To that, I say 'yes'.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
kowenicki said:
Magnific0 said:
Well, if we're to believe VGchartz, PS3 is been outselling 360 in NA week in, week out, so I think it's safe to say PS3's fate in NA looks kinda locked right now even before MGS4 debuts. After MGS4 it can only get better. I seriously doubt the Xbox 360 will be able to outsell the PS3 for a single month in NA at least until GoW2 debuts and we'll see what the future brings.

I have no idea what you are looking at but according to VG Chartz it hasnt and according to NPD the 360 outsold the PS3 in April and it looks set to do the same for May...

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 03rd May 2008 to 31st May 2008:

ConsolePS3X360
America

Guess you're right. Still, it looks pretty damn close to me in the region considered 360's turf, it's well within the margin of error. With MGS4 and the return of the 80GB PS3 in that incredible bundle, I don't see how the 360 can hold its ground. So I repeat, the "expensive, gameless Blu-ray player " position is locked, the PS3 will shift to "4th gear" with MGS4 in NA and will watch the 360 on the review mirror for months to come.