By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Eyetoy didnt became popular as Wiimote/Wii balance board did?

Viper1 said:
3 million? I will need a source for that. I've heard at most half that and sales have tapered off to a few thousand per month.

You claimed it was already more successful, now you're claiming it WILL be more successful. I'd be ready to believe if you can provide a fathomable bit of logic behind it or a source for verification but at current it has not lived up to EyeToy's standards nor is it on pace to do such.

I just sent an email off to the SCEA PR Manager to see of she can help get me some numbers.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

IDK, possibly can't be used for as many things. Still a good product though just can only be used for a few things.

Some interesting notes regarding the Playstation Eye and Wii Balance Board.
PSEye
Release - Late October, 2007.
Compatible games - 15 (2 more in development)
Games by Year:
                2007 - 13
                2008 - 2 (2 more in development [announced])
Best selling compatible game - Burnout Paradise - 660k
Best selling PSEye required game - Eye of Judgement - 200k

I know it's a poor measure for sales but ti doesn't look liek it could have attained 3 million in sales under these circumstances.  It also apears developer support has slowed down dramatically.

Wii Balance Board
Release - Dec 2007.
Compatible games - 2 (6 more in development [announced])
Best selling compatible game - Wii fit - 4.37 million
Best selling BB required game - Wii Fit - 4.37 million

Just like the Wii-mote itself, the Wii Balance Board is successful because of the bundled software.  Wii Sports and Wii Fit are arguably the epitome's of peripheral/control input defining titles.   Eye Of Judgement wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't as defining of a title to generate the kidn of success seen by the Wii-mote/Balance Board.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:

Some interesting notes regarding the Playstation Eye and Wii Balance Board.
PSEye
Release - Late October, 2007.
Compatible games - 15 (2 more in development)
Games by Year:
                2007 - 13
                2008 - 2 (2 more in development [announced])
Best selling compatible game - Burnout Paradise - 660k
Best selling PSEye required game - Eye of Judgement - 200k

I know it's a poor measure for sales but ti doesn't look liek it could have attained 3 million in sales under these circumstances.  It also apears developer support has slowed down dramatically.

Wii Balance Board
Release - Dec 2007.
Compatible games - 2 (6 more in development [announced])
Best selling compatible game - Wii fit - 4.37 million
Best selling BB required game - Wii Fit - 4.37 million

Just like the Wii-mote itself, the Wii Balance Board is successful because of the bundled software.  Wii Sports and Wii Fit are arguably the epitome's of peripheral/control input defining titles.   Eye Of Judgement wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't as defining of a title to generate the kidn of success seen by the Wii-mote/Balance Board.

1. the PS Eye is also sold separately from EOJ.

2. VGC's EOJ numbers are missing EU sales.

3. Does your list of PS Eye compatible games include the video chat addon for the Poker game? 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Yes, High Stakes Poker is counted.

I know EOJ is sold separate but doesn't the game require the PSEye to play?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

eyetoy wasnt the main way to control your system like the wiimote is

Owner Of: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP NES GB GBA GC WII XBOX

Q_A_X said:
Because people are idiots.

So Wii owners are idiots, cause they prefer the Wiimote to the Eyetoy?

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Viper1 said:
Yes, High Stakes Poker is counted.

I know EOJ is sold separate but doesn't the game require the PSEye to play?

No, actually. The camera just adds a Yu-gi-oh-esqe gimmick where you can summon your monsters and such by placing your cards under it. The game works off virtual decks based on your real one and you can just use the controller to play.

EDIT: Wait, I'm wrong. I only thought there was a mode where you can play without the Camera, but apparently it insists you use it. Seems odd since I think official matches actually draw for you.

One thing that I have not seen here is the light sensitivity of the Eye Toy.
If you had too much or too little light in the room, the Eye Toy would not work.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
One thing that I have not seen here is the light sensitivity of the Eye Toy.
If you had too much or too little light in the room, the Eye Toy would not work.

Mike from Morgantown

ive never noticed that,as ive always had the right amount of lite

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"