By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think Crysis will be announced for PS3 @ 2008 E3

sc94597 said:
No, chances are 20%,and the highest crysis could run is low-medium settings at 720p> 30fps.

The Crytek engine is already heavily multi-threaded, so it may well be possible in high settings at this point. The PS3 has more CPU processing power than current gaming PCs. Also they could include more content and better sound due to Blu-Ray as well.

Memory usage would be the main concern considering the game was designed with the PC in mind. The PS3 has a huge amount of memory for a game console though (not needing to run a bulky inefficient host operating system like Windows). For example the NeoGeo only had 130Kb of RAM, the console's strength was its multi-processing design which translated in far superior games, also graphically compared to PC games of the time sporting many multiple times as much memory.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

US market isn't representative of the entire pc market considering both Europe and Asia have much bigger pc markets. Just because a game bombs in the US doesn't mean it will worldwide. Crysis is a good case in point.

Guys I just realized that crytek is the dev team for far cry 2 aswell,,,,they are releasing farcry2 this holiday,,,so I don't think it's possible that they release another FPS shooter (Crysis)in the same time frame,,,,,So I m guessing no.

did I get it right or they are not the same dev team?

SpartanFX said:
Guys I just realized that crytek is the dev team for far cry 2 aswell,,,,they are releasing farcry2 this holiday,,,so I don't think it's possible that they release another FPS shooter (Crysis)in the same time frame,,,,,So I m guessing no.

did I get it right or they are not the same dev team?

Far Cry 2 is being developed by Ubisoft, not Crytek. Crytek did however develop the first Far Cry.

@zkuq

yea i see what you mean,,,

"Far Cry 2 is an upcoming first person shooter published by Ubisoft and is the sequel to Far Cry. Crytek, developers of the original game, are not involved in the development of Far Cry 2. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions were announced on January 3, 2008, and will ship simultaneously with the PC version."

so they may still announce it

so cry engine2 is not for crytek?cause I think far cry 2 uses that engine,,,doesn't it?

edit :Far cry doen't use cryengine 2

"Ubisoft has developed a new engine specifically for Far Cry 2, called Dunia"

Around the Network

@MikeB

Despite what Crytek says about their engine being heavily threaded, the benchmark results indicate no performance advantage for quad core cpus:

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=499&pgno=3

"Although Crytek claimed that Crysis works best with a quad-core processor, that was not evident in the benchmark results. Crysis appeared to benefit more from a faster clock speed and/or a faster FSB speed than it did from having four processing cores (instead of just two)."

Furthermore, even at a low resolution, the game is very GPU bound. Having the game on two different machines (both with overclocked Q6600s, one with a G80 8800 GTS, the other with SLI 8800 GT, the weaker machine struggled with the CPU 2 benchmark @ 1280X1024 HIGH QUALITY NO AA (registering an average frame rate of less than 10 fps) while the stronger machine gets much better fps results while running at a much higher resolution of 1920X1200, both in SLI and NON SLI mode.

The game features a large and detailed world, the likes of which haven't been seen in any other game ever. What this amounts to is the use of large amounts of video ram, which consoles don't have. Considering games that are far less detailed than crysis have had to run at sub HD resolutions on consoles, I can't see them getting it to run at 720p and high quality.