By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are third-party developers seeing the Wii as a cash cow?

Looking at some of the recent announcements and pronouncements, I am beginning to think that some third-party developers see the Nintendo Wii as a profit machine to fund development efforts on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

This is not a new thought. After all, I have expressed in other places that I thought Carnival Games helped Take-Two stay afloat while Rock Star's tour de force GTA IV was under development. But at least CG came early in the Wii's life and received advertising (and still receives advertising).

But other things make you wonder. Such as Midway releasing an N64 quality game. Such as Ubisoft appeaing to have inferior graphics on its Wii version of a multiplatform snowboarding game (and simultaneously announcing a more approachable BG&E sequel that appears a-natural-for-the-Wii for the PS3 and Xbox 360. (I will not mention the Babyz game because there is a market for them and they will sell -- much as some people may not want to hear that). Such as Konami wanting $40 for a 10-year-old satirical rail shooter.

Ironically, "monolithic sloth" EA has made more of an attempt at doing new things on the Wii than almost anyone else. So we could see the big getting bigger.

Mike from Morgantonwn 

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

minimal development cost + doesn't have to try hard to please review scores = cash cow.

Now, that being said, what Ubisoft did was insensitive, you don't mock your own follower for buying your own half-assed games.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

They do view the Wii as a serious cash cow. Any minimal effort they could make to make some quick and dirty game with enough money, they've done their job. After that, they use that Carnival Games money to fund a GTA.

Once someone asks them if they will make a SERIOUS game for the Wii, they seem offended and ask, "Why? No one would buy it. Nintendo has a 100% casual market. Good games don't sell"

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

kingofwale said:
minimal development cost + doesn't have to try hard to please review scores = cash cow.

Now, that being said, what Ubisoft did was insensitive, you don't mock your own follower for buying your own half-assed games.

Or not buying their half-assed core games, and refusing to acknowledge it was because those games were half-assed.

Even if I has a Wii, and was a fan of the PoP series, I wouldn't have bought Rival Swords. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
kingofwale said:

Or not buying their half-assed core games, and refusing to acknowledge it was because those games were half-assed.

Even if I has a Wii, and was a fan of the PoP series, I wouldn't have bought Rival Swords.

i hope NOBODY here buys their half-assed game, which I don't think people here do anyway, but soccer moms will continue to go and and do that. What is why Ubisoft is allowed to get away with this crap. People are just ignorant. (and when I say people, I mean casual gamers)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

Some of them seem to be doing just that, yes. Not all of them though, especially some Japanese based ones who for obvious reasons are shifting support to the Wii on some projects.

Ubisoft seems to be the worst example. Konami isn't doing much on the Wii, but at least they made a serious effort with PES 2008.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Mike, you are correct. A lot of publishers are amortizing their budgets off Wii profits to fund larger projects not slated for the console.

This is the only industry I know of that does it and gets away with it.

Other industries amortize their costs over various low budget projects (see movie industry) but the property still sees release on the same medium as the low budget fund raiser.

In fact...that what Wii is to many publishers...a fund raiser. A tool to raise market capital.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Isnt it obvious? Theyre doing it since day one. It became blatant after the ubiday incident now everyone knows what big publishers/developers are doing

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

This is why I say instead of just keeping it to yourselves tell all your friends and relatives as well.Once word gets around even the soccer moms won't buy the shovelware since they would get to know beforehand.

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

Unfortunately a boycott just gives them an excuse as valid proof we don't buy their games.

They pulled that crap on GC last generation.

The rEVOLution is not being televised