By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "MGS4 has two cutscenes nearing the 90 minute mark" - EDGE

famousringo said:
Further proof that the PS3 just sells as a Bluray player.

I keed, I keed. Don't mind me, I'm just jealous of you guys.

The cutscenes are real-time =P

Around the Network
--OkeyDokey-- said:

So it was true? o_O

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303884

No one ever denied that there was a cutscene about that long.  One reviewer said he didn't remember any being that long, but they were long.  So it's no surprise that they're really 90 minutes.

Although it's interesting how PS3 fans came out of the woodwork to say, "haha see, they're not 90 minutes!  Oh thank God you Xbots were all wrong!"  Now they'll come back and say, "90 minutes is good!  I like taking a nap while I'm waiting to play!" 

Zkuq said:
famousringo said:
Further proof that the PS3 just sells as a Bluray player.

I keed, I keed. Don't mind me, I'm just jealous of you guys.

The cutscenes are real-time =P

the joke is that MGS4 is a movie not a game. It has nothing to do with CG or in game. 

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Rath said:
shanbcn said:
So? Why the hell did you want to spoil that for MGS fans? MGS is not for kiddies so better shut ur mouth next time before putting spoiler in the title.

Boohoo, now you know that there are long cutscenes. I'm sure thats going to fucking wreck the plot.

Well to be fair... If i was halfway through a 90 minute cutscene i'd of assumed i just beat the damn game. 

kingofwale said:
I think this proves yet again that MGS series is not for casual or people with A.D.D

Or people with lives. I mean damn. For the average person one cutscene probably takes up a whole playing session.  The Cutscenes all together are problaly longer then Heavenly Sword as a whole.

Around the Network

The excessive rely on cutscenes proves once again that Kojima is not a great storyteller, and he cannot tell a complex videogame story well.

darthdevidem01 said:
no long MGS cutscenes = NO CGI in FF = no Poke Balls in Pokemon = No minigames on wii

{the last = was joke before I am attacked & ripped to shreds)

But Final Fantasy games were better before CGI.

Munkeh111 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@munkeh111

cool....FF7 original...won't you get a headache while playing it?

I always do when I play GT 1 just for fun.

The TV I got my PS3 connected to was bought in 1997, so it won't look that much worse that the PS2 games

By that i hope you mean in comparison to their original quality.  Because FF7 is the ugliest game i've ever played... well second behind Ballz 3D or something...

But honestly, the game would look better if it was redone in NES level graphics. (actually it was... and it does look better.) 

shio said:
The excessive rely on cutscenes proves once again that Kojima is not a great storyteller, and he cannot tell a complex videogame story well.

Peoples idea of a complex video game story told well seem to be the Half Life series and Bioshock. I'm sorry, but those games were not complex by any stretch of the immagination. Deus Ex is another popular example, and while telling a great narrative, it was nowhere near as fleshed out in either creating it's universe, characters and storyarch nor in exploring it's themes it clearly tried to pursue as was MGS2.

Of course not every game should be like MGS2, but my point is that Kojima's ambitions simply cannot be presented through gameplay alone. They need hefty scenes of dialogue and lengthy exposition to translate in their complete form to the player that is willing to listen. It's an aquired taste.

Games like Xenogears had hours of idle babbling, and Xenosaga games have as much babbling plus several 30-minute cut-scenes. Then there's MGS series which has ALWAYS been critizied for "talking heads" and yada yada yada...I think in all those games (except for Xenogears) you're given the option to SKIP the cutscenes and fast-forward the reading. If you don't want/can't/won't watch a long cut-scene/long discussion, then just don't and continue playing the game. You can always save your game before the long "movie" so you can later watch it at your own pace, if you choose to do so. I don't see the problem.