By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you find that when chatting on the internet you throw in Americanisms?

You know, because most people on the net seem to be American so you begin to use their mannerisms while typing. For example, I never use the word "like" in real life, however, because Americans tend to use that word a lot I use it too when typing on the net.

Also I've noticed some users not from the USA saying words like "Trash" or "Pants", words that are just not used outside the states.

What do you think?

Around the Network

Well use "like" anyway, as in "I like it" or as in "it looks like". but I like to mix it up so I will also use "akin to" or other ways of saying things.

However I do not think (hope) I use too many Americanisms, I certainly try not to.

(I will never even think of calling trousers "pants", nor will I call rubbish "trash". Similarly a pavement is not a "sidewalk")

Umm..when speaking of prices and the time etc I tend to not to refer to those of my own country so as not to confuse any simple minded Americans.

Also, sometimes I spell words the American way by accident (color, favor)

We use pants or trousers, rubbish or trash and we don't use either pavement or sidewalk but rather footpath. New Zealand English is just so much cooler no?

Mate, what in bloody hell are you talking about? Cheers!

Around the Network

@fkusmot.

Now thats what a Kiwi talks like. Is that how poms talk as well?

Rath said:
New Zealand English is just so much cooler no?

*giggles*

Say "twenty-six" for me. Go on, say it!

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Rath said:

*giggles*

Last time I was in America I was repeatedly forced to say 'I play netball on the deck' because apparently to Americans this sounds like 'I play nipple on the dick'. Took a lot of time to actually explain what netball is.

Good times wandering around the french embassy at night shouting out 'NETBALL' very loudly.

Rath said:
@fkusmot.

Now thats what a Kiwi talks like. Is that how poms talk as well?

That reminds me of a joke:

Q: Where do poms keep the soap?

A: What soap?

Rath said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Rath said:

*giggles*

Last time I was in America I was repeatedly forced to say 'I play netball on the deck' because apparently to Americans this sounds like 'I play nipple on the dick'. Took a lot of time to actually explain what netball is.

Good times wandering around the french embassy at night shouting out 'NETBALL' very loudly.

Haha, I remember I used to have a Kiwi teacher in middle school.

I can't remember what it was for, but we were doing something with cards and whenever she'd say "deck six" the whole class would start laughing (and I mean really laughing....like tears-in-your-eyes-laughter)

For anyone here who's inexperienced with the Kiwi accent, it sounded an awful lot like she was saying dick sex XD