By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Official UEFA Euro 2008 Thread

Esmoreit: That's the spirit!

Who's next? Neos, Koffieboon? And where the hell are starcraft maniac and MikeB? 

Around the Network

THE DUTCH ARE GONNA WIN!, small victory 1-0, goal by the genius himself, Van Persie.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

This will be a very interesting day. Each of the 4 teams is strong enough to survive the group stage. Looking forward to the matches.

But first: A moment of silence for Scotland. They'd have deserved to qualify.

Red devils? Je ne connais pas?......Wait are you saying the Belgians have a footbal team?

elprincipe said:
Slimebeast said:
Thatmax said:
The Poles dominated for a good half hour overall but couldnt finish, I feel bad for them, living in south London there were many red and white flags being waved and they deserved maybe not a win but atleast one goal out of their many chances in the second half.

LOL! You rooted for the Polish just because England didn't qualify, that's why u got the impression that they dominated in the 2nd half. They didn't. Germany dominated the whole game and stomped Poland. Most of the Polish scoring chances were garbage, thus they didn't score.

Agreed, I thought the score actually flattered the Poles a little.  Germany have been the most impressive side thus far, but we have yet to see many of the contenders.

Rol - sorry about the Austria result, that must have been tough when you actually were the better side on the day.  Croatia took the lead and then played crap for the rest of the match, and you guys at least got some confidence out of it I think.  Perhaps a draw with Germany and a win over Poland will be enough.

Poland may not have had the finishing power in the end but at many times it looked as if Poland could have easily scored, Poland made more chances overall statisticaly speaking. and I quote from the commentators "Germany are looking very weak now" but in the end it was simply bad defending on the Polish front which cost them the game, after the first goal went in there wasnt much action for a while and when Poland started running out of time they took the risk of pushing everyone further forward which inevitably cost them another goal.

So Germany did deserve a win but seemed to underestimate Poland, and in my books unless Germany dont sort out their defense issues soon then they may find themselves being battered by Portugal in the knockouts.

Around the Network
papflesje said:
Next up could be a match to remember, Holland Italy, my money is on Holland... literaly :S

Next up is Romania - France >_>

And how do you literally place your money on Holland? Unless your money is bigger than the country itself, which would put it into the shades, and I haven't seen any news reports about the Netherlands being in an eclipse.

You know what I mean... and who says to put something on something else it has to be bigger tha it, i.e I put a cup of coffee on the table. hehe XD

Thatmax said:
papflesje said:
Next up could be a match to remember, Holland Italy, my money is on Holland... literaly :S

Next up is Romania - France >_>

And how do you literally place your money on Holland? Unless your money is bigger than the country itself, which would put it into the shades, and I haven't seen any news reports about the Netherlands being in an eclipse.

You know what I mean... and who says to put something on something else it has to be bigger tha it, i.e I put a cup of coffee on the table. hehe XD

That's how things work at my house >_> :p  

Thatmax said:
elprincipe said:
Slimebeast said:

...So Germany did deserve a win but seemed to underestimate Poland, and in my books unless Germany dont sort out their defense issues soon then they may find themselves being battered by Portugal in the knockouts.

I can tell you that the German national football teams never underestimate their opponents. That's one of the reasons why they're the most successful team in European championships so far.

But they have defense issues this time, that's true, and that's why I still think they will struggle to win this tournament.

papflesje said:
Konichiwa: Frustrated that the Red Devils didn't qualify, you bad hooligan you?

We can't make a fool of ourselves at the EC, so I think the majority of the Belgians isn't too sad we're not there :p

If you ask me their are not that many soccer fans in Belgium,  sad for the national team though the last two years there were like less than 1.000 supporters of the team at home..

Belgians are crazy about Cycling (you see them like everywhere like Tour De France) as the Dutch are about Soccer =p.

konnichiwaa said:
papflesje said:
Konichiwa: Frustrated that the Red Devils didn't qualify, you bad hooligan you?

We can't make a fool of ourselves at the EC, so I think the majority of the Belgians isn't too sad we're not there :p

If you ask me their are not that many soccer fans in Belgium, sad for the national team though the last two years there were like less than 1.000 supporters of the team at home..

Belgians are crazy about Cycling (you see them like everywhere like Tour De France) as the Dutch are about Soccer =p.

Well, that's because in cycling, we dominate a lot of the races (not the 3 week races though), and we have strong teams.

In football (grrr :p), we are more of a "meh, don't care", because our national team keeps going "oh, we're improving" when the results are worse and worse.  And the youngsters they have now, should've been able to perform quite well.  Let's see how they do in the WC qualifiers.  They said they would be ready for some good football then...