By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Getting a Powerhouse Gaming PC for $656 –Full Crysis Capability

Did sc94572 ever say what type of Graphics card he had?????????

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-graphic-game,1810.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-graphic-game,1907.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-graphic-game,1907-4.html

this is a overclocked pc e2260 pushed to 3 ghz. with a 8800gs

I would bet any cheap computer was running it at high details no AA

And not superhigh with aa thats just crippling to the best hardware still.

Around the Network

thats what i call a powerhouse gaming pc

First off; I really quit playing games in s-vga resolution sometime in the late 90's, and secondly; any PC can run Crysis at high or very high settings with everything turned on, just not very well.
Someone even tried with a quad-core Intel proccessor clocked at 3.5 or 4 GHz, GeForce 8800 Ultra twin SLi 2GB, 16 GB's of RAM and an insane Raptor drive that easily costs one third of that entire rig you posted, and the FPS average was around 30 with drops all the way down to 7 FPS...
Many have claimed to run it at high or very high with decent framerates, but then it turns out that there was no AA, realtime shaders, HDR, any kind of filtering and only a semi-decent resolution.
The truth is; the Cry-engine 2, in Crysis at least, is horribly, horribly optimized and hogs a ton more resources than its worth in sheer graphical output.
The only game I can think of that has it beat in this is Neverwinter Nights 2, which had some subpar visuals that ate extreme amounts of power with everything turned on.

If you consider playing on very high or high (or even medium as is implied) settings with every single advanced graphic option turned off (believe me, that SHOWS) "eating Crysis for lunch", then I have to laugh tbh.
For most PC geeks (myself included) running a game at max does not only imply the texture size and overall settings, it includes all shading, lighting, full AA and HDR, filtering, v-sync and a high resolution (1600x1200 minimum, which takes quite an expensive monitor to achieve in and on itself) and none of this is possible on that rig without staying in the 5-10 FPS region which is utterly useless.

I'm sorry, but this NewEgg "monster" does not run Crysis on "full settings" (which is different, very different, from the high or very high settings). Also, you'll have to consider for us living outside of NA that hardware is a helluva lot more expensive and that rig will quickly become twice as expensive (mine cost me 3500-4000 $ in todays currency).

Mummelmann said:
First off; I really quit playing games in s-vga resolution sometime in the late 90's, and secondly; any PC can run Crysis at high or very high settings with everything turned on, just not very well.
Someone even tried with a quad-core Intel proccessor clocked at 3.5 or 4 GHz, GeForce 8800 Ultra twin SLi 2GB, 16 GB's of RAM and an insane Raptor drive that easily costs one third of that entire rig you posted, and the FPS average was around 30 with drops all the way down to 7 FPS...
Many have claimed to run it at high or very high with decent framerates, but then it turns out that there was no AA, realtime shaders, HDR, any kind of filtering and only a semi-decent resolution.
The truth is; the Cry-engine 2, in Crysis at least, is horribly, horribly optimized and hogs a ton more resources than its worth in sheer graphical output.
The only game I can think of that has it beat in this is Neverwinter Nights 2, which had some subpar visuals that ate extreme amounts of power with everything turned on.

If you consider playing on very high or high (or even medium as is implied) settings with every single advanced graphic option turned off (believe me, that SHOWS) "eating Crysis for lunch", then I have to laugh tbh.
For most PC geeks (myself included) running a game at max does not only imply the texture size and overall settings, it includes all shading, lighting, full AA and HDR, filtering, v-sync and a high resolution (1600x1200 minimum, which takes quite an expensive monitor to achieve in and on itself) and none of this is possible on that rig without staying in the 5-10 FPS region which is utterly useless.

I'm sorry, but this NewEgg "monster" does not run Crysis on "full settings" (which is different, very different, from the high or very high settings). Also, you'll have to consider for us living outside of NA that hardware is a helluva lot more expensive and that rig will quickly become twice as expensive (mine cost me 3500-4000 $ in todays currency).

Tell you what, I didn't run the test so write Tom's Hardware and tell them they're full of sh*t. Don't let the mere fact that it's one of the most respected technical testing sites on the internet discourage you. I'm sure they will yield to your greater wisdom.

To me a frame rate of 24.4 at 1600x1200 at AA4x settings are acceptable to qualify as playing the game well. If you have an actual suggestion that will play it better in the price range, please share it with everyone.

I'm grown a little weary with it all. I think I presented a damn fine option with a hell of a lot of bang for the buck. I thought it would actually prove useful. If I had known it would just become a sniping target for everyone who thinks their computer has a bigger dick, I would not have wasted the time. And you can be damn sure I won't again.

there are 2 issues with that custom built computer.

A. Better Parts vs Price

B. Overall Longevity

For about the same price of a 4400+ you can get an e4850 and have less heat with more performance. An 8800GT is fine and dandy but you can get an 9600GT or 9600GSO for a cheaper price.

Longevity, how long do you want the PC to last you. Adding the parts suggested would make it a more suitable environment for hardware because the processor is putting out 30-40 degrees less heat. Heat can shorten a PC's lifespan up to two years.

As for buying a PC, buying ibuypower PC off NewEgg would be cheaper thn the other.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:

A. Better Parts vs Price

B. Overall Longevity

For about the same price of a 4400+ you can get an e4850 and have less heat with more performance. An 8800GT is fine and dandy but you can get an 9600GT or 9600GSO for a cheaper price.

Longevity, how long do you want the PC to last you. Adding the parts suggested would make it a more suitable environment for hardware because the processor is putting out 30-40 degrees less heat. Heat can shorten a PC's lifespan up to two years.

As for buying a PC, buying ibuypower PC off NewEgg would be cheaper thn the other.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don’t disagree with your reasoning. The E8450 at 3.Ghz would be a faster chip but I personally did not see a computer so equipped at this price range. There was one with E8400 (2.8) GHz but it was $ 960. New Egg is a big site and I may have missed one.

My experience with the 4400+ is somewhat limited and, they are reputed to have higher temperatures. I have not personally found it a problem in large tower cases. If it was, I would definately install larger fans. Usually if you are buying a commercial unit adequate ventilation and heatsinks are usually designed in.

(And before I get fraged again I used New Egg exclusively just because they are a good dealer with a very large selection and I can’t possibly comparison shop the whole internet.)

The 9600 GT is indeed, on sale, about $30-40 cheaper but according to comparative testing at Tom’s Hardware you would take a 15-29% hit in performance that probably doesn’t  justify the savings

CRYSIS

8800 GT 512MB

9600 GT

1280x1024

Medium

1280x1024

medium

1280x1024

AA4X+AF8X

1280X1024

AA4X+AF8X

1600X1050

MEDIUM

1600X1050MEDIUM

1600X1050

AA4X+AF8X

1600X1050AA4X+AF8X

“Still as tough as ever on graphics cards, Crysis wasn't especially kind to the 9600 GT, which in all cases was behind the HD 3870. (Bizarrely, the Radeons seem not be especially handicapped by the antialiasing in Crysis, though we should make it clear that the game is pretty much unplayable on all of these midrange cards with antialiasing on). The 9600 even came in behind the 8800 GT 256 MB without filters, despite the fact that the latter fell apart because of its frame buffer once antialiasing was enabled. The 8800 GT had a comfortable lead over the 9600 GT here, of between 15 and 29%.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-9600-gt,1780-13.html

The ibuypower model is cheaper and in fact that manufacturer has unusually inexpensive models overall. Personally I’ve never owned one but among my professional associates who have, have experienced some reliability issues that make me reluctant to recommend them. If your experience has been better let me know.

May I reccommend DinoPC for UK users?

It's one of the best sites for peeps not wanting to build their own computers, or import.

My dad ordered a system off here for my Christmas present, and he/I got:

nVidia 8800GT 512mb
AMD Athlon 64 X2 DC 5600+, 2.8GHz
500gb HDD
4bg RAM
A decent case
22 inch, max reso 1680*1050 monitor
DVD Burner with LightScribe
Extra wireless adapter (which is useful for when I piss my parents off, and they jack my connection out of the router).
Keyboard + Mouse
Vista Ultimate 64

For about £800 (including VAT and shipping).

Customer Support is also very good, because the 8800gt was out of stock, they sent me a free 7300le.

Grampy said:
ssj12 said:

A. Better Parts vs Price

B. Overall Longevity

Thanks for the suggestions. I don’t disagree with your reasoning. The E8450 at 3.Ghz would be a faster chip but I personally did not see a computer so equipped at this price range. There was one with E8400 (2.8) GHz but it was $ 960. New Egg is a big site and I may have missed one.

My experience with the 4400+ is somewhat limited and, they are reputed to have higher temperatures. I have not personally found it a problem in large tower cases. If it was, I would definately install larger fans. Usually if you are buying a commercial unit adequate ventilation and heatsinks are usually designed in.

(And before I get fraged again I used New Egg exclusively just because they are a good dealer with a very large selection and I can’t possibly comparison shop the whole internet.)

The 9600 GT is indeed, on sale, about $30-40 cheaper but according to comparative testing at Tom’s Hardware you would take a 15-29% hit in performance that probably doesn’t  justify the savings

CRYSIS

8800 GT 512MB

9600 GT

1280x1024

Medium

1280x1024

medium

1280x1024

AA4X+AF8X

1280X1024

AA4X+AF8X

1600X1050

MEDIUM

1600X1050MEDIUM

1600X1050

AA4X+AF8X

1600X1050AA4X+AF8X

“Still as tough as ever on graphics cards, Crysis wasn't especially kind to the 9600 GT, which in all cases was behind the HD 3870. (Bizarrely, the Radeons seem not be especially handicapped by the antialiasing in Crysis, though we should make it clear that the game is pretty much unplayable on all of these midrange cards with antialiasing on). The 9600 even came in behind the 8800 GT 256 MB without filters, despite the fact that the latter fell apart because of its frame buffer once antialiasing was enabled. The 8800 GT had a comfortable lead over the 9600 GT here, of between 15 and 29%.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-9600-gt,1780-13.html

The ibuypower model is cheaper and in fact that manufacturer has unusually inexpensive models overall. Personally I’ve never owned one but among my professional associates who have, have experienced some reliability issues that make me reluctant to recommend them. If your experience has been better let me know.

opps, I didn't mean the E8400, grant it is a good choice, I was meaning the Athlon X2 4850e. I put the e in the wrong place,

Still you didnt say anything about the 9600GSO which is the 8800GS bascally.- nevermind it sucks. lol

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

You can't run Crysis on Ultra high with just one 8800. A computer geek that lives by me had dual 8800s with a new quad core and 3gb of RAM. He said he could run it on 'high' but it got choppy at some parts. No way this $660 one here could run it on ultra high with just 1 8800

eab said:
You can't run Crysis on Ultra high with just one 8800. A computer geek that lives by me had dual 8800s with a new quad core and 3gb of RAM. He said he could run it on 'high' but it got choppy at some parts. No way this $660 one here could run it on ultra high with just 1 8800

I guess people will just have to decide whether to depend on Tom's Hardware or the geek that lives near you. I don't know what else to say when someone responds to rigerous testing by a well known and respected site with the anecdotal experience of an individual they happen to know.