By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - a few questions about Lost Odyssey

I am thinking of getting an Xbox soon (it is very likely) due to the praise LO has got from my friend, but there were one or two things that I wanted to know about the game, and any help would be apreichiated

1. Is it individual turn based or team turn based? I watched a video on game trailers, and it looked as though everyone gave their commands before all of them were executed (like diplomacy if you have played that game)

2. Does it have anything like the sphere grid, or is leveling up just done by exp, and the levels increase  your strenth etc?

3. I have heard about the ring system, could someone explain this to me.

Thanks for any help

EDIT: sorry I posted in the wrong forum, can this thread be moved?

Around the Network

You should of posted this in Microsoft forum. lol.

Oops, wrong button! Can any mod move this?

ZOMG

360 loses an exclusive to Wii

Lost Oddesey headed to Wii.....you heard it here first!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Munkeh111 said:

I am thinking of getting an Xbox soon (it is very likely) due to the praise LO has got from my friend, but there were one or two things that I wanted to know about the game, and any help would be apreichiated

1. Is it individual turn based or team turn based? I watched a video on game trailers, and it looked as though everyone gave their commands before all of them were executed (like diplomacy if you have played that game)

2. Does it have anything like the sphere grid, or is leveling up just done by exp, and the levels increase  your strenth etc?

3. I have heard about the ring system, could someone explain this to me.

Thanks for any help

Ill try to help.

1. Its exactly how it looked. You imput commands for all your characters at once. Then based on what you chose your characters take turn. The action you chose dictates how fast he will do it and what order. For example item is the fastest so if you choose to do a item with a character he will do it first before your other allies and the eniemies. Then comes attack etc. magic is usually the last thing to go so everyone who chose normal physical attacks will go (after items of course) and then magic users and special attacks. However this excludes magics and special attacks that take more then one turn, then other things go into account but thats the basic of it. It seems basic, but it really results in some major thinking before you plan your attack and i love it big time because one mistake can cost you the battle.

2.Pretty much every growth is done by leveling. In terms of attributes its just leveling in order to increase it, along with equiping weapons and armor/accessories of course. There is no grid like FF 10 or 12. Skills, however, are learned only by the mortals. Mortals learn them when they lvl. Skills such as magic or special attacks or auras, or special bonuses in battle etc. Then the immortals must link to the mortals and spend time in battle with them in order to learn such skills. You specifiy what you want to learn then go into battle and win sp points until you ahve enough to learn that skill. This allows you to custimize your immortals to however you like, which puts them at a huge advantage over the mortals later in the game, though you have to raise the mortals in order learn skills. Mortals are forced down a certain path (Like jensan with his black magic etc) and you cannot custimize their skills. You can however, with immortals.

3. The ring system is very nice, specifically later in the game (and some early parts) when you have to focus on an  eniemies weakness. In order to get the ring effect you must obtain and equip a ring that has effects on it. Such a ring such as increased wind damage etc are equiped and then used on eniemies that are weak to wind etc. You will find tons of rings throughout the game and certain eniemies will require certain rings and such. The ring system comes into effect on how effective the rings enchancment will be. If you can strike a perfect during an attack (with the ring system) then the full effect of the ring will be unleashed onto the foe. A good will also give partial enchancement. Thats pretty much the ring system. Also perfect will also increase the overall damage as well of the attack, and good will also, to a lesser extent.

anything else ill be glad to help with.

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

Around the Network

@ bingoo, thanks for the help, I did love FF X, and that is what has made me look at LO, just as your sig says

I know about the rows system, but I do want to spoil the story for myself, but is there anything else that I should know?

It is team based. All actions set at start of turn, so planning which enemy to hit is important.

Immortals gain new skills by linking to mortals in the active party and by linking to items. XP improves stats, SP is needed to gain skills.

Mortals cannot link. They get more skills based on their class as they get more SP, and stats improve as they get XP. They get the skills from items that are equipped.

At the end, you should get your immortals with customised skills, and mortals with their own class skills maxed. I recommend you level up all members equally because there are battles later in the game where your party will be split up.

So with linking, does that mean that any skill that the mortal learns, the immortal also learns? Or can they learn skills that the mortals have already learnt?

Lost Odyssey I heard a rumour it is coming to the PS3 soon.