By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Nintendo is bringing new SKU in the Market

New Wii SKU with a DVD player. Sounds interesting.
New Wii with a Blu-Ray player would be a better move.

Around the Network
Killergran said:
@NJ5 Sorry for being so offtopic, but it IS hard to percieve sarcasm in text. Especially on forums. Especially in languages that are not your own. (I am swedish, we have a relatively good grip on the english language, but we are far from perfect)

When I have to read a text three times to make sure I actually understood what it said, that feels a bit annoying, especially when the person typing it is trying to be funny...
That being said, I was mostly sarcastic in my response, but I guess that eluded you. Unless you were being sarcastic with me?

Sure I got your sarcasm, just didn't comment on it.

The reason for what I wrote is that I'm a bit sick of the people using (and asking for) "[/sarcasm]" tags and similar things. If someone can't write sarcasm well enough to make it detectable, it's better not to bother writing sarcastically at all. It reminds me of those people who make unfunny jokes and then are forced to explain them. It totally defeats the point of making a joke in the first place.

Well written sarcasm is as easily detectable in text as in speech.

(sorry for the offtopic rant)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Rock_on_2008 said:

It doesn't need it. Either dvd or Blu-Ray. 

Crap...I better sell mine soon before the new one gets announced and the old one is worth 10 bucks.

Old nintendo DS is used as a door stopper these days...

Rock_on_2008 said:

Oh yeah....because if the Wii had a Blu-Ray player in it then it would be selling so fast they couldn't keep it in stock....like that other next-gen system with a blu-ray player in it (can't remember the name).

I predict a WiiFit package.

Around the Network

Even if bluray player was the craze Sony wants it to be...Wii wouldn't do it cause it cant.

Putting a bluray player in the wii is like putting a rocket engine in a Ford Focus... even if they did it it would just melt Wii's CPU and GPU.

DVD on the other hand may be the case as it would requie no work to impliment it on the wii...

Let's hope it fixes the Wii's problems and annoyances before a blu-ray drive..

Another problem that I have with these reports of upgraded Wiis is the old and reliable "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". Nintendo has a winning formula, which is showing no signs of failing, so why not just keep the current approach?

Minor changes which don't affect functionality are fine, but creating new SKUs with different philosophies and production/retail prices doesn't make any sense to me. For example, the main reason why Sony introduced different SKUs was that the previous ones were too expensive to produce, that's obviously not the case here...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Killergran said:
@NJ5 Sorry for being so offtopic, but it IS hard to percieve sarcasm in text. Especially on forums. Especially in languages that are not your own. (I am swedish, we have a relatively good grip on the english language, but we are far from perfect)

When I have to read a text three times to make sure I actually understood what it said, that feels a bit annoying, especially when the person typing it is trying to be funny...
That being said, I was mostly sarcastic in my response, but I guess that eluded you. Unless you were being sarcastic with me?

In cases like this I like to refer to my signature.

And if the sentence was too complex, I am sorry. Me, being of the German nationality and thus considering myself to be amongst the group of literary geniuses as per se, even though I have never written a book myself, usually build very complex, very long, drwan out sentences that actually could be summed up in a short sentence but by doing so I show my superior intellect.

This symptom is also known as Thomas Mannism. Or bad English. Try reading an English Translation of the FAZ and you will understand.

OT:

Fact1: Adding DVD-playback will cause them to have to pay royalty fees and thus lower their profit margin. Not happening

Fact2: Them adding more storage capacity will have a similar effect.

Fact3: Changes in SKU could potentially lead to consumers being insecure about the product offering. Why run that risk if you have literally hundreds of thousands still out there beginning you to take their money for a piece of plastic?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Is this thread still on going? Why the Wii needs a DVD player? It will ruin Malstrom's theory and make the Wii not unique. And why needs for redesign thats absurd! Why even need a redesign that make the Wii popular?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg