By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Just_Ben said:

Sorry, but why is there a parent control system on the Wii? A chat system can work very well with that. And most people only want to talk on the Wii to friends, that means you allready know the people talking to from somewhere!

You kinda missed the whole point. Kids often use channels like that to talk to people they shouldn’t that may have become  a “friend” on My Space and then agree to meet online at a game so that the parents won’t be aware. It's not like parents are all computer savvy. And it’s not always about real danger as it is about the perception of danger. It works for them to know that if their child is playing on his Wii there is no possible danger. If the child were playing on the PS3 or the Xbox 360 they can’t be sure.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
Just_Ben said:
bdbdbd said:
By the way, Wii has a "general" code for all the online games (atleast so i have understood), which is the Wii friendcode, since you can send friend requests through message board from the game. The number of friends, then again, is a little small at least in MKWii, since it fits only 30 per license. So, if you could add random people as friends ingame and chat with friends, the "protection system" would be gone. So you can have only one of those two. @Ben: I agree about the missing "no"("Ready?" "Maple Treeway!"). And it could have some sort of customisation for the messages. If Nintendo would address these issues, which people complain here, it would create new issues, which would need to be addressed. Now, there are some issues, but as in protective measure, it's much better this way. And about the voice chat, you definately don't want to hear me after you push me down from the track in Mario Kart.
Why, because you would yell words that usally written as $@abuc$%@? Isn't that the suppose of Mario Kart? Playing with you online is damn fun, playing with my friend at home is more. Why? Because he yells at me after I threw him off;)

And no the Wii Friendcode is not that global: You can't see what a friend is playing right now, and is for the entiere Wii. Now the Wii is for the entire family. So there are persons in there, that I don't know, are there?

So true. It's the social aspect. Btw, how do you swear in german? That's something they don't teach at school. The german movies i have watched have taught me schweinehund, but that's not actually swearing. The swedes swear shouting sjutton (seventeen).
Well I write you a PM about it ;)

Grampy said:
Just_Ben said:

Sorry, but why is there a parent control system on the Wii? A chat system can work very well with that. And most people only want to talk on the Wii to friends, that means you allready know the people talking to from somewhere!

You kinda missed the whole point. Kids often use channels like that to talk to people they shouldn’t that may have become a “friend” on My Space and then agree to meet online at a game so that the parents won’t be aware. It's not like parents are all computer savvy. And it’s not always about real danger as it is about the perception of danger. It works for them to know that if their child is playing on his Wii there is no possible danger. If the child were playing on the PS3 or the Xbox 360 they can’t be sure.

I don't miss it. So they talk to them on myspace then? Or skype or whatever? Sorry, but thats not a point. A point would be that they hear strangers or can meet strangers that are dangerous. If the harm is done, it is done already on the PC. If parents would be scared about something like that, they should not give their childes access to the computer. There is the harm done, not on the Wii. It would be still a save system.

Or why can we exchange message on the Wii? Isn't it the same? You have to know the person you want to talk with first. There is the system secure, but not elsewhere on the Wii? Sorry, you don't have a point :P

i dont regard online as being as important as MS and Sony make out, out of all my friends who own consoles, about 10% play online and some don't even have the internet. Investing tons of money into something only a small amount of people can use doesn't make much sense, in the same way Nintendo didn't make the Wii HD.

By next generation there will be a lot more HDTV and broadband users out there worldwide, especially as streaming HDTV is becoming more popular. I expect Nintendo's next machine to have a 'home', a marketplace and who knows what else.

The current Wii online services such as Opera, news, weather and the VC seem to be aimed at the non gamer, or the ex gamer wanting to relive the classics.

We have to remember the whole we = wii thing is aimed at local multiplayer, not swearing down a microphone because you just got shot by someone you couldn't see as their internet is 5x faster than yours.

Just_Ben said:
Plaupius said:
Hold on here. We're approaching the online issue from the upper tier perspective, while it seems to be Nintendo's strategy to gradually build the online experience from the lower tiers up. I believe it will improve by leaps and bounds, but perhaps not in the direction we think would be the best.

Another malstrom retalker. Why should it be down tier to have a friendcode for every game? And uptier to have a global one? No answer? Thought so, yes you failed!

Because it offers an upstream path. I don't claim to agree with all the design decisions Nintendo has made, but it is starting to look more and more like they have really planned everything around the key concepts they want to push. If I don't understand it, it doesn't mean that there's no logic behind it.

Around the Network

@Ben: I forgot to comment the last part of your previous post. Well yes, if you think it that way, unless it's linked to the Mii you're using. I was meaning that the code works as a general friend code for all the games. Not as a global profile. That's why i was wondering the "friends channel" in my first post in this topic. It would basically be an online community, without the pixel world. I see that kind of channel possible. The difference between message board and voice chat is, that the messages are saved to Nintendos server. Sure the voice can be saved too, but i don't think we will see a voice chat before Nintendo figures out a cost efficient way to save large amounts of audio. But that's hard to say, swearing kids are really a turn-off, since you can add random people to your friends list.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Plaupius said:
Just_Ben said:
Plaupius said:
Hold on here. We're approaching the online issue from the upper tier perspective, while it seems to be Nintendo's strategy to gradually build the online experience from the lower tiers up. I believe it will improve by leaps and bounds, but perhaps not in the direction we think would be the best.

Another malstrom retalker. Why should it be down tier to have a friendcode for every game? And uptier to have a global one? No answer? Thought so, yes you failed!

Because it offers an upstream path. I don't claim to agree with all the design decisions Nintendo has made, but it is starting to look more and more like they have really planned everything around the key concepts they want to push. If I don't understand it, it doesn't mean that there's no logic behind it.

What is upstreaming about it? I understand the upstreaming concept, and there is no upstreaming. The upstreaming goes from no online to online. That doesn't excuse that the online is missing some basic features (like a global friendslist). Actually the current system is more complex (and therefor "upper tier" if you want so hard putting it in those 2 categories) and my system would be "down tier". As I said, a lot of people just repeat what he is saying, not thinking for themselves. Make it easier is never bad. One friendcode for all games is easier. No reason to defend it, Nintendo just did a bad job there. They do a excellent job somewhere else, but there, they did a bad job. Thats not that problematic, if they see and fix it over time. After all everyone (oh yes even Nintendo) does make mistakes.

And what I ask for is not hard to implement, and  nobody can tell me that even a soccer mom find it easier to remember one code (instead of 3) and doesn't find it nice to see what their friend is playing right now, so she can join it (if she wants to) right away ;)

Just_Ben said:
Plaupius said:
Just_Ben said:
Plaupius said:

What is upstreaming about it? I understand the upstreaming concept, and there is no upstreaming. The upstreaming goes from no online to online. That doesn't excuse that the online is missing some basic features (like a global friendslist). Actually the current system is more complex (and therefor "upper tier" if you want so hard putting it in those 2 categories) and my system would be "down tier". As I said, a lot of people just repeat what he is saying, not thinking for themselves. Make it easier is never bad. One friendcode for all games is easier. No reason to defend it, Nintendo just did a bad job there. They do a excellent job somewhere else, but there, they did a bad job. Thats not that problematic, if they see and fix it over time. After all everyone (oh yes even Nintendo) does make mistakes.

And what I ask for is not hard to implement, and  nobody can tell me that even a soccer mom find it easier to remember one code (instead of 3) and doesn't find it nice to see what their friend is playing right now, so she can join it (if she wants to) right away ;)

I don't disagree with you about it being nice if there indeed was a global friends list, and I believe (or at least I hope) it will come. But the concept of lower tiers and higher tiers does not have to do with how easy to use the online is, it has to do with how it relates to the consumers. And I suspect a good portion of those who are new to gaming are perfectly happy that they have a few games where they can test the waters, so to speak, the ability to play online with friends at all is new to them. Upstreaming is when they realize online gaming is fun, and wonder if not more games could support it, and perhaps if it would not be possible to have an easier way to control your friends and so on. We are already there, have been for years, and probably all of the younger IM generation is there also, but the older crowd might not be.

Anyway, all this is speculation as we don't know what the real plans of Nintendo are. I just don't find it plausible that they would make this kind of "mistake" in a product that cost millions and millions to develop, and which by all accounts is designed extremely well around a vision of what it will be. There are just too many places in the design process where, if there would not have been compelling reasons to do it this way, somebody would have said: "Hey, let's have a global friend list." 

Plaupius said:
Just_Ben said:
Plaupius said:
Just_Ben said:
Plaupius said:

And what I ask for is not hard to implement, and nobody can tell me that even a soccer mom find it easier to remember one code (instead of 3) and doesn't find it nice to see what their friend is playing right now, so she can join it (if she wants to) right away ;)

I don't disagree with you about it being nice if there indeed was a global friends list, and I believe (or at least I hope) it will come. But the concept of lower tiers and higher tiers does not have to do with how easy to use the online is, it has to do with how it relates to the consumers. And I suspect a good portion of those who are new to gaming are perfectly happy that they have a few games where they can test the waters, so to speak, the ability to play online with friends at all is new to them. Upstreaming is when they realize online gaming is fun, and wonder if not more games could support it, and perhaps if it would not be possible to have an easier way to control your friends and so on. We are already there, have been for years, and probably all of the younger IM generation is there also, but the older crowd might not be.

Anyway, all this is speculation as we don't know what the real plans of Nintendo are. I just don't find it plausible that they would make this kind of "mistake" in a product that cost millions and millions to develop, and which by all accounts is designed extremely well around a vision of what it will be. There are just too many places in the design process where, if there would not have been compelling reasons to do it this way, somebody would have said: "Hey, let's have a global friend list."

It is easy: They don't concentrated on that part, they don't expect the success. You can see that because the online servers of MKWii and Brawl are full and laggy at the high times. 50% of the sold wii in America are online, Reggie once said. Thats many. I am sure they didn't expect their online to be sooo sucessfull. They didn't expect their Online shop for games to be sooo successfull. Even nintendo now sees the problem with the disk space (they said it). They will find a solution. Why is so less space in a Wii (1 gig flash doesn't cost that much more than 512 mb, but would help a lot)?

Because Nintendo didn't see it comming. At the time the Wii launched their thought: 512 MB? More than enough! If they new how the system would get used, they would have put in more (how much would that cost? 1$, 2$? Nothing, I would say!)

It is the same with online. It is their first online system that get that heavy usage, and they truly didn't see that comming. Thats all, and thats fine ;) And I said the word "down market" and "up market" doesn't fit, I only said, if you have to put it in one of those two ;)

And where do you live that people up to the 40 doesn't know how a friendslist work? Or a phone book? They have it arround them all the time! Their mobile has a friendslist, their telephone, their email solution, their IM. At least in my country people in that age do now their way arround such things ;)

windbane said:
Nintendo is perfect; whatever they do everyone else should be doing. I doubt online will be much of a factor in the future of videogames.

Your right, bring back the VirtuaBoy and PowerGlove.  Follow Them Blindly.