By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's "Home"

While playing WiiFit, I was thinking about the PS3's "Home" thing that suppose to come out 2000-never, it suddenly dawned on me while jogging.

That WiiFit island that's used in the game, wouldn't that be like, something Nintendo could use to make their own "Home"? I mean, using Mii's as your characters and such. I dunno. It'd be a shame if Nintendo created such a huge island and never did anything else with it.  

Around the Network

Yeah, nothing like having to enter the numbers of your friends to join you.

Nintendo's time in the Online world will end well. It's making strides with WiiWare and Mario Kart and the Nintendo Channel, but it still has a ways to go. Give it time and an idea like this won't be too far fetched.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

I expect nintendo to step up next gen, they didn't think online was too important, they were wrong, i don't think they will make the same mistake twice.

There's absolutely no reason to make a "Home" environment for the Wii, for the simple reason that it would have no impact whatsoever on who would use the online services for the Wii. The sort of people clamoring for such services already do use the Wii's online mode.

I constantly see people saying that Nintendo needs to adopt the model of the 360 or PS3 for online, and yet, those two systems have online models which have not shown any significant growth: they pander to very finite audiences, who have very fixed tastes, and aren't growing in demographic appeal at all. Nintendo's all about change now, so why would they pick something that would trap them in a corner?

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

Malstrom agrees....

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

would be awesome.

Well, we propably are not going to see a "Home" on Wii, but propably some community service anyway, maybe a "friends" channel, or an expansion to message board. Wii anyway has the best potential for a community service out of the 3.

I do think that Nintendo underrestimated online, but it didn't "miss the boat", Nintendo just have a different approach to online, than the competition.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

whats wrong with improving craptastic online? my friends and i were trying to play brawl with someone and it was a very frustrating process...friend codes have to be the worst idea ever. A simpler, casual friendly way of doing seems like a good idea to me.

You view it from the wrong end of the spectrum, xenophon13. Nintendo does not wish to pander solely to the desires of a very rigid market; that's what Sony and Microsoft have done with their online, and it's not doing them any good. Nintendo's goal is to bring people reluctant to go into the online world, online. To do that, there is a need to pander to their insecurities: the lack of voice chat to prevent discouragement from trash-talking, the Friend Codes to make them feel secure in knowing who they're playing with, the pre-coded friendly messages to allow for civil conversation... That is appealing to a broader demographic. Giving options which allow for uncivilized behavior, on the other hand, is not.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.