By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 and its struggle with multiplatform FPS visuals

Gamer4life said:
But how come in the last gen the multiplatform games were always better for Xbox and most likely most of them were ports from PS2. If PS3 is waaay better than Xbox360 why isn't this happening in this generation?

Exactly. Good point.

Hint: the GPU.

Around the Network
Gamer4life said:
But how come in the last gen the multiplatform games were always better for Xbox and most likely most of them were ports from PS2. If PS3 is waaay better than Xbox360 why isn't this happening in this generation?

Architecture differences weren't as great then, so it was easy to scale the games up some. Some games, such as King Kong, barely looked better on Xbox. The year head start and lead development on 360 has given developers more time with that system. They are now getting used to PS3 and leading on that system more, but developers are trying to make multiplatform titles equal instead of using each systems advantages more. I don't think anyone is saying (anymore) that the PS3 is waaay more powerful. The overall processing power is, but everything else is about equal. The problem is that the processing advantage is only taken advantage of with different programming techniques that have been used before.

If games were developed with the PS3 as the lead console rather than the 360 the true potential of the console would show itself.

Username2324 said:
If games were developed with the PS3 as the lead console rather than the 360 the true potential of the console would show itself.

I'm gonna challenge this opinion as everyone seems to think this is the case...

I disagree. Take Alone in the Dark for example. Its been announced that it will be delayed until late fall because the frame rate and such issues are not making the PS3 version equal to 360 version.

This means that both are being developed in parallel and not made for 360 and then ported to ps3. This leads to my statement before of budget, timeframe, programming...

PS3 doesn't provide as good of results with similar development timeframe, budget and programming skills as 360 does. So in the real world of game development its just not possible to make ps3 versions look superior when games have budgets, and ship dates. In the world of Sony sponsored exclusives however...whats another 6 month delay and another 10 million dollars?

Simple answer - the PS3's GPU capabilities are lesser to those of the 360's.

It really isn't a significantly more powerful console than the 360 and I believe that until proven so in cold hard gaming evidence, the PS3 cannot rightfully be called the more powerful console either.

Around the Network

completely agree!!! the ps3 is still a whole year and some change behind the 360 devolpers have had alot more time with the xbox system, and look at cod4 the game looks exactly the same on both systems. just give the ps3 some time to breath an strech its legs its still new

Be honest with nobody and lie to your self MGS4 best game EVER on ps3 :?!!!!!!!

ummmm YES

Be honest with nobody and lie to your self MGS4 best game EVER on ps3 :?!!!!!!!

Darc Requiem said:
whatever said:
Once the PS3 catches and then passes the 360 install base, you'll see a lot more effort being put into PS3 games.

So that is why developers have been putting their best efforts on Wii. I mean its surpassed both the 360 and PS3 in sales....

This wins for the dumbest comment yet.

My point was that once PS3 is on top, it will become the lead development platform.  Then games will look as good or better on the PS3.  Didn't think I needed to spell it out, but I guess I was wrong.

What people don't realize is this:
Even the console exclusive games, are mainly developed on PCs (ie Devil May Cry 4)
then ported to a console. When I say develpod on PCs, I don't mean that every game has its secret PC brother that will never see the light of day. I mean that the development tools are PC like programms and in the case of 360, developers had early development kit which furthermore are almost PC identical. So, the work is done really easy. Nothing changes from the main game code, and what has to be done is changes in lowering some things of course, and porting the game controls. And thats something that most companies, even the PCnerds Valve, can do perfectly (I never imagined that I would desperately look for a gamepad when Episode 2 arrived)
So. When a company wants to make a really stunning game, (and its not a PS3 exclusive), its gonna work on it on PC. Simple. And and then port it to a console. In the case of 360, even this is barely considered to be a "port". But in the case of PS3?

@disolitude. Believe me or not. One of the news that made me happy this month was Asterix at the Olympics announcement. Not everygame has to be a masterpiece. nor a blockbuster, nor a stunning visual achievement.
A console, has to give the luxury, to sit back relax, and mindlessly play a simple game. And I'm really happy that except Wii (which of course has A LOT of shovelware) developers and publishers treat the 360 more and more this way. And that the really important thing for this generation.
As for the big blockbusters: Alea jacta est. Multiplatform ftw and let the idiots with the magnifying glasses counting pixels and polygons in both versions.

Gamer4life said:

I dont believe that most of the multiplatform games for last generation looked better on the xbox,they were pretty much the same to me on a lot of them. But, the 360 is easier to program than the ps3. Once the game programmers get use the making games for the ps3 like infinty ward has then everyone will see. Oh yeah, wait and see how MGS4 will look. HOLLA!!!!!

iWillCrushAllWhoDefyMe!                                                                           PN ID- DrivenToExcell -if you want to add me to your friends list tell me where you know me from(vgchartz) www.twitter.com/driventoexcell