By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A hypothetical discussion

diegomoroco777 said:
Sales, using the DS/PSP as example of the future yes the Ds outnumbers the PSP 2-1 yet the highest selling 3rd party game is on the PSP, there is really in no great reason for 3rd partys to flok to the wii while adandnoning PS3/360 becasue its outselling them.

Mate, its frickin GTA. The GTA name is almost always a 3+ million seller, doesn´t matter the platform where it lands ( as long as it is a decent game, of course).

Agreed. Third party titles aren't created equal. Simple example: the PSP could have one fifth the userbase of the DS, but if it had several 3rd party titles that were highly publicized, got great reviews, and were part of established franchises while the DS got zero quality, major franchises from any 3rd party developer, then it shouldn't be surprising if the 3rd party software sells better on the PSP, even with a lower install base. 

In reality, it's not nearly as extreme as the example I've just given, but it's close enough that the point is valid. Up until these last few months, there has been nothing even remotely close to the popularity of the GTA franchise to hit the DS from 3rd party developers. The PSP has Metal Gear, it has Grand Theft Auto, and several others; the DS has the Castlevania games, and that's honestly all I can thin of (And even that is nowhere near the bombshell that GTA is). Ninja Gaiden is coming, and they actually made a new Final Fantasy for the system; but for now, in America, the pickins are slim. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
diegomoroco777 said:
Sales, using the DS/PSP as example of the future yes the Ds outnumbers the PSP 2-1 yet the highest selling 3rd party game is on the PSP, there is really in no great reason for 3rd partys to flok to the wii while adandnoning PS3/360 becasue its outselling them.

Mate, its frickin GTA. The GTA name is almost always a 3+ million seller, doesn´t matter the platform where it lands ( as long as it is a decent game, of course).

Agreed. Third party titles aren't created equal. Simple example: the PSP could have one fifth the userbase of the DS, but if it had several 3rd party titles that were highly publicized, got great reviews, and were part of established franchises while the DS got zero quality, major franchises from any 3rd party developer, then it shouldn't be surprising if the 3rd party software sells better on the PSP, even with a lower install base.

In reality, it's not nearly as extreme as the example I've just given, but it's close enough that the point is valid. Up until these last few months, there has been nothing even remotely close to the popularity of the GTA franchise to hit the DS from 3rd party developers. The PSP has Metal Gear, it has Grand Theft Auto, and several others; the DS has the Castlevania games, and that's honestly all I can thin of (And even that is nowhere near the bombshell that GTA is). Ninja Gaiden is coming, and they actually made a new Final Fantasy for the system; but for now, in America, the pickins are slim.

The DS has FFIII and Sonic Rush, both of which sold 1.5 million worldwide. Of course that's about half of Liberty City Stories, but it's a couple of games you left out.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I think that a third party that can actually create a game with GTA sales for the DS is Rare. They sold 550k in America with a remake, I think that with a Ip like Viva Piñata or Banjo, they could reach easily 2+ millions. It just fits the demographic so well. Maybe Mistwalker too. With Japan´s userbase, any RPG from those games will sell amazingly well.